Just moved back to UK - benefit entitlement

Lisestar
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4136 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, myself & my partner have just moved back to the UK from Spain along with our 1 year old daughter as my partner was made redundant. We have an appointment with the local Jobcentre tomorrow but before I go I wanted to be up to speed on what we might be entitled to.

1. We have been in Spain for 7 years, prior to that both of us worked in the UK. Would we be entitled to contribution based JSA or do your contributions have to be recent and if so, would we be entitled to income based JSA.

2. I have a flat that is currently rented. It was purchased in 2005 and there's a mortgage on it of £60K and I think it's currently worth about £90K - would that render us ineligible on capital grounds? We are staying with my parents just now as the property is rented.

Any info/advice anyone has on this would be greatly appreciated.

lisestar

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/a-to-z/

You might find something useful on hte above Goverment website.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hello there.

I know no two people's situations are the same, but we had another thread recently about someone coming back to the UK. It might give you some pointers.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?364467-just-returned-from-spain-after-losing-house-with-2-children-and-not-entitled-to-benefits&highlight=return+from+spain

My best, HB

• Haha 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Yes, no two situations are the same. I know two Spanish citizens (each other's friends). They applied for JSA at the same office the same day. One was granted JSA from day one (was not in receipt of any benefits in Spain) and happily living on the dole ever after.

The other one was denied JSA on the ground of HRT. He couldn't find work. I advised him to work as a volunteer in a charity shop for three months then reapply. He was denied it again.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Each case will be looked independently, as you are not living in your mortgaged home you won't be eligible for any help with the mortgage but as oit is rented out they will look at if there is any income from the property rental.

http://dwp.gov.uk/international/benefits/jobseekers-allowance/jobseekers-allowance-in-eea/

this link should give a bit of information to determine if you would be likely to receive any payments of JSA for contribution based JSA

• Haha 1