Theft of contents, delivered as damaged

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4125 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience and can advise on the best approach.

I sent three Christmas cards, including some Euro notes, in a larger envelope to my kids in France. The letter was delivered in a Royal Mail "Damaged post" plastic envelope but my envelope had obviously been steamed open, the contents removed and then been re-posted into the system.

Not registered but I'm not sure that would have prevented this or helped apart from compensation, which I will go for anyway as the Royal Mail clearly stated it to have been damaged in transit.

The Royal Mail site doesn't even acknowledge the possibility that such a thing could happen: loss - yes, damage - yes, delay - yes but theft? No.

Any advice welcomed thankyou:|

RM employs a lot of casuals at this time of year, although there is occasional theft within the system from permanent staff (this is reported in the news when individuals are convicted and sentenced). It is rare, but if you read posting guidelines there is a specific instruction not to send money unregistered (called 'Special Delivery' now) in the post. You might be successful with a claim, but I'd say the chances are slim. The link below shows compensation rates - max of £46, but note that proof of posting is very likely to be requested. Note ' Evidence of value' is also requested - you might need to get a statement from an independent reputable witness, and a reason as to why this is available rather than you just posting the money Special Delivery. Posting it SD does make a difference wrt compensation - you state the value of the letter. It does also make a difference in terms of security, but I can't say any more as this is not for public consumption.

http://www.royalmail.com/customer-service/personal-customers/refunds-and-compensation/claims-process/compensation-tables/compensation-lost

Sorry JMO, you're SOL on this one. RM clearly indicate that Special Delivery service is the only appropriate one for sending cash or money in any tenderable or bearable form: royalmail.com/customer-service/personal-customers/sending-mail/sending-valuables-and-cash

It's up to the goodwill of their customer complaints department to offer any kind of refund in this scenario. A nice letter may do wonders.

Related reading: postoffice.co.uk/prohibited-items