Purchased repossessed property ~2 yrs ago – unpaid gas bill previous owner – southern electric

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4133 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I purchased a property that required renovation in January 2011 but progress has been slow due to changes in circumstances. In the last two months I have received letters from Southern Electric and notes from bailiffs relating to a gas bill.

In the ‘early days’ I received gas bills addressed to the previous owner/occupier but the status changed to ‘The Occupier’ in the last six months. The property has been unoccupied since I purchased it and the gas was already switched off (by lever) when I bought it. The removal of the boiler and gas fire was one of the first tasks completed.

I took gas and electric meter readings as soon as I purchased the property, but the gas figure has not changed. The bill I received three weeks ago was for £519 and I received another letter today asking for £720 (the more recent letter did not look official and did not feature the Southern Electric logo).

My brother had been working on the property just over a month ago and received a knock at the door from a bailiff. He refused entry but told the bailiff that the property was bought and has not been occupied since. The bailiff seemed to be fine with that as he had spoken to neighbours who confirmed this on previous visits.

I phoned Southern Electric on Saturday but did not disclose my name as I am concerned that they will transfer the debt to me. I provided them with the meter reading and explained all of the above. I asked for clarification on who the debt is with and for what period of time this is for, but they refused to give this information.

I would like to resolve the issue, but I am reluctant to give information that will transfer the debt to my name.

I would be grateful for any advice that you can provide?

Thanks

the debt cannot be transfered to your name

and i very much doubt that guy was a bailiff.

prob just a DCA - NO LEGAL POWERS.

not your problem

return all letters to the sender

mark 'gone away'

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...