• Tweets

• Yes that looks fine. It is to the point. I think somewhere in the that the you might want to point out that your parcel had been delivered but clearly had been opened and resealed and the contents had been stolen
    • Hi All, I just got in from work and received a letter dated 24 April 2024. "We've sent you a Single Justice Procedure notice because you have been charged with an offence, on the Transport for London Network." "You need to tell us whether you are guilty or not guilty. This is called making your plea."
    • Okay please go through the disclosure very carefully. I suggest that you use the technique broadly in line with the advice we give on preparing your court bundle. You want to know what is there – but also very importantly you want to know what is not there. For instance, the email that they said they sent you before responding to the SAR – did you see that? Is there any trace of of the phone call that you made to the woman who didn't know anything about SAR's? On what basis was the £50 sent to you? Was it unilateral or did they offer it and you accepted it on some condition? When did they send you this £50 cheque? Have you banked it? Also, I think that we need to start understanding what you have lost here. Have you lost any money – and if so how much? Send the SAR to your bank as advised above
    • In anticipation of lodging my court claim next Weds 1 May (14 days after advising P2G that was my deadline for them to settle my claim) I have completed my first draft POC as below: Claim Claim number: xxxxx Reference: P2G MAY 2024   Claimant xxxxx   Defendant Parcel2Go 1A Parklands Lostock Bolton BL6 4SD  Particulars of Claim The defendant has failed to arrange for the safe delivery of the claimant's parcel containing a 8 secondhand golf clubs (valued at £265) that was sent to a UK address using their delivery service (P2G Reference xxxxx). The defendant contracted Evri to deliver the parcel (Evri Reference xxxxx) and refuses to reimburse the claimant on the grounds that the claimant did not purchase their secondary insurance contract. The defendant seeks to exclude their liability in breach of section 57 Consumer Rights Act. The secondary insurance contract is in breach of section 72. The claimant seeks reimbursement of £265, plus P2G fees of £9.10, plus postage costs for two first class letters to P2G of £2.70, plus court fees, plus interest. The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from xxxxx to xxxxxx on £276.80 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xxxx   Details of claim Amount claimed £276.80 I look forward to your thoughts and comments guys! As ever, many thanks - G59    
    • Hmm, that's strange how they got my email then.  I assume the below is ok to send to DCBL, Nicky?  Hello, I am writing regarding our ongoing dispute and the upcoming court claim reference xxxxxxxx. To ensure fairness and transparency in our communications leading up to the court hearing, I request that you use postal mail exclusively for all further correspondence related to this claim. Please refrain from sending any communication or documents via email. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. If you have any questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact me via postal mail at the address provided above. Yours sincerely, xxxx
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

jonni2bad v Halifax - Got the money but no default removal

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6154 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have found that its farquicker to request statements for the period that you want to claim, You have to sort through the statements yourself but its far quicker than waiting for the bank to drag their heels especially if they think you are trying to make a claim against them. I requested statements that covered the whole period of when the account had been opened, these arrived withing 6 days and now I am in a position to start the proceedings to claim back the charges.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you honestly think that are going to defend themselves in court?

Are you protected from costs?......

1. It's really hard to judge them, but looking at their document exchange, where they didn't reference anything and indeed only really sent me 2 photocopies of leaflets from their display racks, I would have to guess no.

On the other hand, their incompetence so far might suggest that they really do believe they have a case. I am most looking forward to hearing them explain to a Judge why they lied to the court about me offering to extend the deadline for entering their defence, so for that alone I pray they do.......

2. Yes - the track has been given as small claims so, unless the Judge believes that I had absolutely no basis for ever starting my action, there would be no reason why I should ever pay any costs - and if my case really was that bad I'm quite sure we'd have been called to a prelim hearing some time ago.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

WOW, I have just read your thread from beginning to end and i am fasicinated, just hope i don't have to go through the same thing to get my default notice removed....lol.....i'm not sure i would know what i was doing.

Can't wait for the next episode jonni2bad

:p :p :pCARMEN :p :p :p

I thought I'd give their legal team something to read, since the Halifax don't seem unable to supply anything.

The Claimant will also make reference to the following case laws;

1. Murray v Leisureplay [2005] EWCA Civ 963

2. Wilson v Love [1898]

3. Lordsvale Finance PLC v Bank of Zambia (1996) QB 752

4. Bridge v Campbell Discount Co. Ltd. (1962)

A grand total of 318 pages weighing in at just under 2kg

ROTFL.......

thats a neat trick, bang in as much case law as you can find so their legal team have to do their homework and hence massively increase the cost to the banks in their fees LOL

perhaps you should also ask for another £2500+ for costs with all that paper,ink, and valuble time you have had to make for your case , god knows how much Halifax will be charged by their own legal team, you should be able to also claim that fair and reasonable rate too 8)

:o OMG.. I can't believe that your case is still ongoing!

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you finally get them pinned down in a court :-D .

I can't believe how voraciously they've defended the Default notice, They clearly mean a lot and you get the feeling we must be missing something that matters a great deal to them when they are happy to pay out these sums of money but not complete an admin task to end a court case!

Good Luck and I can't wait to read the next updates!:p

well i dont know about being a fly, but its an open court so anyone can sit in there i assume?, how large is this court and would they restrict the public interested in this case getting in.

remember aardvark, the courts are open to the public, remember the school trip to the court house to see how our justice system works?, then going back to school and having to writeup the essay 8P

perhaps jonni2bad could sell jonni2bad teeshirts 8)

it does seem that there might be an interest from the papers that a massive bank submits almost nothing

in their bundle, were as an ordinary (not really hes a star) person can offer up such an impressive bundle

to fight his corner, there must be some interest there for the media.

yes , it would seem the default is a very large thing indeed, can anyone shed some light here please, what is it about this that seems to scare them?, and how would every single person reading, use this new information to our advantage, i assume its something as regards damages but cant work out what or how it might esculate?.

well i dont know about being a fly, but its an open court so anyone can sit in there i assume?, how large is this court and would they restrict the public interested in this case getting in?...

It will be at the Mansfield County Courts (North part of Nottinghamshire) and is of course open to the public. I would imagine that if there are no 'visitors' then it would actually be heard in the Judge's chambers.

it does seem that there might be an interest from the papers that a massive bank submits almost nothing

in their bundle, were as an ordinary (not really hes a star) person can offer up such an impressive bundle

to fight his corner, there must be some interest there for the media.

I don't think they'd be very interested if I lost and I don't count chickens bla bla bla so the media can wait until there's an outcome....

yes , it would seem the default is a very large thing indeed, can anyone shed some light here please, what is it about this that seems to scare them?...

Damages. If you can show that you have been unfairly defaulted, then it stands to reason that your credit worthiness would have been impacted and, each time your files are searched, creditors would obviously assume that you were a bad risk. This, in effect, is a slur on your good name or, more to the point, a Defamation of Character.

BIG BIG issue. So big, in fact, that it would put our money claims in the shade by a considerable margin.

• Confused 1

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

wow that was quite a erad from start to finish.

I will be watching this to see how this ends (quite comically if what we've seen so far is anything to go by), and I wish you all the best with this.

If I lived any closer I would totally come up for this and buy you a beer once you'd finished tearing them up into tiny pieces in court.

Currently taking action against the HSBC for £2465

Hi Jonni

Can I ask where you got a copy of the supply of goods and services act, I can't find it on the net? The only thing I can find if the 1994 version, I assume that won't do?

Also the case law references you mention - is there somewhere I can get my grubby little paws on those too?

I need to get my case together for upcoming court date, and I'm having trouble finding what I need (your list of evidence has been really helpful!)

Thanks

lelole

Here with links.....!

I need to look up more for the case law references - I will try to post links for those too.

2. Authorities

...........Description .................................................. .............No. of pages

(AA) -- Copy of bank statements supplied by HBOS following (A) - 91

(BB) -- Copy of spreadsheet supplied with claim detailing specific dates

and amounts as requested for refund - 1

(CC) -- Data Protection Act (1998.) - 53

(DD) -- Data Protection Act (1998.) Schedules - 53

(EE) -- Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999) - 10

(FF) -- The Supply of Goods and Services Act (1982) - 13

(GG) -- Unfair Contract Terms Act (1977) - 9

(HH) -- Office of Fair Trading Report April 2006 (OFT842) - 35

( II) -- House of Commons Early Day Motion (EDM 2227) - 1

(JJ) -- House of Commons Select Committee on Treasury

Second Report: ‘Transparency in charging’ - 10

(KK) -- Report by Kendall Freeman on Liquidated Damages (May 2005) - 3

(LL) -- Case Law Reference: Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd

v New Garage & Motor Co Ltd [1915] AC 79 - 2

(MM) -- Case Law Reference: Alfred McAlpine Capital Projects Ltd

v Tilebox Ltd [2005] EWHC 281 (TCC) - 2

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks for the links jonni, they could come in really usefull for any cases that end up going to court. They will really help those of us who are up to speed on the arguments and reasons but need to do a bit more reading before actually landing in a courtroom!

Cheers.

• Confused 1

It's looking like I will be in court soon. This thread is so so helpful.

Thanks mate your an urban warrior ;)

Halifax - £2500

Legal & Trade - Webt to courtfor Breach CCA, Complained to OFT they ruled in my favour, So did court, 2k written off.

NatWest - Contactual Interest - Won:p

I could just be my typo - but thanks anyway.

wow what a read, good luck and have a nice holiday

Barclaycard Student credit card £400 partial refund received, S.A.R -

Open & Direct Finance- extortionate, cca to Rockwell debt collection they ran away, now with Bryan Carter, no cca 17/03/08 sent back to Open

Pugsley v Littlwoods, have not received the signed credit agreement only quoting reg of 1983

Pugsley v Fashion World JD williams, 17/03 2008 Debt Managers returning file to JD williams as they could not supply the credit agreement

Capital one MCOL Settled in full

Smile lba settled in full

advice is given informally and without liability and without prejudice.

• 2 weeks later...
I thought Wilson v Love was 1896 ? :?:

And Murray v Leisureplay was 2004, the appeal was 2005. Although the appeal reverted the 2004 decision, it did confirm the penalty charges principles.

Just to point out for other viewers - There was a typo earlier in my thread, and the above are the correct dates.

Many thanks

Great read....biting my nails!!!!!!

Halifax removed their default notice £4500 on my account immediatly I sent the Statutory and Formal notice. They had sold the debt to Hillco. Hillco refuse to remove their default £2300 of the same debt. Both defaults were listed in my report for four years, so it looked like I had two defaults to two companie at different values. I am still arguing with Hillco to remove the default. But this thread seems to suggest I might have a further claim for dames. I dont know but what do you suggest?

Its WAR

Claiming dames is a new one on me. Don't tell Jonni's wife about it!

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If I had known I could claim for dames I might even have gone for 2....

OK, so I presume it's damages, yeah?

In which case, yes (but with conditions).

It would certainly be easier to include damages with a claim for the removal, which ideally goes with the claim for a refund - i.e. all 3 in one. This is not an absolute requirement though, of course.

Damages would have to be either (a) substantiated if they are for actual losses or (b) for something along the lines of defamation of character.

(a) must be water-tight. It needs to show that the result of the default caused event 'x' which resulted in an increased cost for product 'y' which subsequently has cost you £xxxx over the period since. That type of thing...

It needs to be very clear that the Judge can see the path and no ambiguity in the route. Typically speaking (but not a fixed rule) is that if you had other defaults at the time, you would be hard pressed to show it was only their fault.

(b) would be great if the 'no other default rule' also applied - a claim of this sort, if decided in the courts with a jury of your fellow citizens could well produce a very, very large payment.

There's the basics for you..........

Great read....biting my nails!!!!!!

Halifax removed their default notice £4500 on my account immediatly I sent the Statutory and Formal notice. They had sold the debt to Hillco. Hillco refuse to remove their default £2300 of the same debt. Both defaults were listed in my report for four years, so it looked like I had two defaults to two companie at different values. I am still arguing with Hillco to remove the default. But this thread seems to suggest I might have a further claim for dames. I dont know but what do you suggest?

My two cents worth :D

I don't know if you have seen my thread relating to a default Vodafone placed on my credit file 3 years ago. I threatened to take them to court for distress claims and financial compensation and won. They offered £1000 in compensation + court costs + removal of the default. Result. :D

I would add though that my claim could have been done a lot better if I had planned it more. You may learn a little from reading my thread. HERE

Cheers

Barclays - Success. Total £3000.

Barclaycard - Success. £2500

Barclays Brother - Success £500ish

Vodafone - Default removal + claim for distress. Settled default removed = £1000 in compensation + £120 court costs paid. :D

-------------------------------------------------

Barclays using fowl play - Here

If I had known I could claim for dames I might even have gone for 2....

OK, so I presume it's damages, yeah?

In which case, yes (but with conditions).

It would certainly be easier to include damages with a claim for the removal, which ideally goes with the claim for a refund - i.e. all 3 in one. This is not an absolute requirement though, of course.

Damages would have to be either (a) substantiated if they are for actual losses or (b) for something along the lines of defamation of character.

(a) must be water-tight. It needs to show that the result of the default caused event 'x' which resulted in an increased cost for product 'y' which subsequently has cost you £xxxx over the period since. That type of thing...

It needs to be very clear that the Judge can see the path and no ambiguity in the route. Typically speaking (but not a fixed rule) is that if you had other defaults at the time, you would be hard pressed to show it was only their fault.

(b) would be great if the 'no other default rule' also applied - a claim of this sort, if decided in the courts with a jury of your fellow citizens could well produce a very, very large payment.

There's the basics for you..........

I would like to congratulate you on a very interesting case.... you certainly seem to know what you are talking about and well done on getting the default removed. Do you have more cases to get your teeth into or are you calling it a day now????

I am at the court stage with Barclays and until I read your thread I was almost on the verge of giving up. I don't profess to know anything about courts or case law but I will read your court bundle documents which you kindly provide links to in your thread with great interest and trepidation and hopefully it will all become clear to me as to which to include in my case and which to not...

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE INFO YOU HAVE SUPPLIED AND WELL DONE!!

halifax: Data Protection Act sent 05.05.06

40 days up: 14.06.06 - no info received

sent lba 09.06.06 telling them they have 7 days (21.06.06) to comply

sent prelim letter, 22.06.06 - £4340.00!!

03.07.06 - offered £565 from Halifax

SENT LBA - 7TH JULY 2006

FILE MONEYCLAIM - 21.07.06!!

4.08.06 - ****** SETTLED IN FULL *******

Barclays: sent Data Protection Act 31.05.06

received some info 09.06.06, missing 3 years worth of statements- rang them, they now have 25 days to comply

sent prelim letter, 23.06.06 - £2520!!

SENT LBA - 11TH JULY 2006

20.07.06 - OFFER RECEIVED £900..... No Thanks!!

FILE MONEYCLAIM - 24.07.06

....well done on getting the default removed....

I hope you have a crystal ball. My court case is November, it's not removed yet!

I have had all of the money returned though.

....I don't profess to know anything about courts or case law....

I don't either! In fact, 6 months ago I knew nothing about the laws involved in bank charge reclaims. Anything I do know is purely from being here - I'm a big fan of CAG, can you tell? :-)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6154 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks