Jsa to Esa claim - DWP is overloading me with documents to provide - self employed

MoonTop
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4072 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I am presently self-employed but on JSA since few months and have applied to a ESA a week ago.

Originally, when I have applied to JSA, Job Centre Plus had wrongly make me an Habitual Residential Test (that I had succeed) because I have told them that I worked for three months in/with an EEA country (through my limited company). After the Habitual Residential Test, my JSA claim had been however wrongly rejected twice on the basis that I was not able to provide the further 'Home Office' document they were requested. Then few months later, using a Citizen Advice Bureau, my new JSA claim has been accepted (because I am a permanent UK resident for more than 5 years (despite of my travel in the EEA) and Job Centre Plus didn't have to ask me so much documents).

Unfortunately, I have received a letter from the ESA department this week requesting the documents below but this does not seems wright for me. Also, I would like to know your point of view the below.

Send evidence

We require evidence to support your claim. The documents that we need are listed below.

Evidence for you

•Birth Certificate

•Medical Certificate(s) - You do not normally need a medical certificate from your doctor for the first 7 days that you are unable to work. However, if you have had one or more short spells of incapacity totalling more than 7 days within the last 12 weeks, you will need to get a medical certificate from your doctor from the first day of this claim to Employment & Support Allowance. If, in the last 12 weeks, you have not claimed Employment and Support Allowance and you are still unable to work after 7 days, you will need to see your doctor immediately and obtain a medical certificate from the 8th day of this claim. If you have been receiving Statutory Sick Pay please ask your employer for your current medical certificate. It is important to note that any delay, or gap, in medical certification could have an impact on your Employment and Support Allowance benefit entitlement.

•Proof of crown/long term tenancy - for example, your tenancy agreement (They know that I am presently receiving housing benefit and my Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement is coming to end but also it will become a Statutory Periodic Assured Shorthold Tenancy)

•Balance sheets for the last year

•Up to date Bank statement or statement from your accountant for your business account (they are asking this because I am self-employed in despite of the fact that they know that I am presently receiving JSA)

• Proof of periods abroad for example, stamped passport, visas, E303 form or airline tickets

•Proof of your Immigration status and details as provided by the Home Office - for example a supporting letter from the Home Office

•Details of deportation or removal from another country - for example, Form IS814

Any documents you send us must be originals, not photocopies

You have until xxxxx 2013 to contact us with all of the information and evidence documents requested in this letter.

ESA

Thanks in advance for your help,

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I would like to know if its is possible to download an ESA form online in goal to claim for ESA instead of making a claim by phone. If yes, than how long it will take before a response?

MoonTop

Thanks for the link transient, but I had seen and downloaded this form few days ago but when I brought it to my local Citizen Advice Bureau they have refused to help me fill the form and told me that I have to make the claim by phone (0845 6088598).

Edited by MoonTop

If the dWP have requested you provide documents for your ESA claim, surely you have already applied for ESA? Also what they've asked for seems reasonable enough.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Also what they've asked for seems reasonable enough.

•Proof of periods abroad for example, stamped passport, visas, E303 form or airline tickets - I am french and also from the EEA: there is no need of visa. They are talking about a trip I had done two years ago...(who keep bus receipt of this kind of thing?).

•Proof of your Immigration status and details as provided by the Home Office - for example a supporting letter from the Home Office - I am french and also from the EEA: there is no need of visa.

•Details of deportation or removal from another country - for example, Form IS814 - ????

Any documents you send us must be originals, not photocopies
: Is this equally 'seems reasonable enough' for you?

It is standard that originals are asked for. You can take your documents to the jobcentre to get them photocopied and verified that the originals have been seen, then send the verified photocopies.

If there is anything you have asked for that is not relevant to you - put in a covering note explaining that as you are french and an EEA citizen, no visa is required, and that you have never been deported or removed from another country. Entitlement to benefits for EEA natiinals who have right to reside due to five years residence, is dependant on there being no abscences above a certain amount of time, and as such, with every new claim, this has to be checked by law.

•Proof of periods abroad for example, stamped passport, visas, E303 form or airline tickets - I am french and also from the EEA: there is no need of visa. They are talking about a trip I had done two years ago...(who keep bus receipt of this kind of thing?).

•Proof of your Immigration status and details as provided by the Home Office - for example a supporting letter from the Home Office - I am french and also from the EEA: there is no need of visa.

•Details of deportation or removal from another country - for example, Form IS814 - ????

: Is this equally 'seems reasonable enough' for you?

Well, people from abroad would be well advised to keep records of trips they make outside of the UK if they intend to claim benefits in the UK - these are, as you know, relevant when deciding Habitual Residence. Worth keeping in mind for future reference. However, what's done is done, so I would simply write a covering letter explaining the situation and giving the dates for your trip as best you can remember them.

Also, the letter you have received is a "form letter", and it's understood that not every document is relevant to everyone. Your French passport should clear up a lot of these issues. But, and this is critical, you should not send this by post to the DWP. Figure out what documents you need to support your claim and call the Benefit Centre that's doing the processing. Ask for an AJCS (pronounced "ay-jacks") appointment at your nearest Jobcentre. They will be able to inspect your documents and make "official" copies of them to send to the processing centre - that way, your important papers won't be caught up in the department's complex mail-handling system.

The requirement that documents not be photocopies? We can argue all day about whether or not it's "reasonable", but it's standard procedure and they probably won't waive it without a very good reason - if at all.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I had this issue few months ago when I had claimed for JSA and as I had explained I have done and passed the 'Habitual Residential Test' made by jobcentre plus : since it is a transfert from JSA to ESA, and they are sharing my previous documents i do not understand the reason they are requesting again the same document.

In addition, my main documents had been stolen in Paris two years ago and I had declared it to the police : is the police report will be enough?

Since I have never said anything related to any deportation I do not understand why they are asking me this.

Because, as I said, it's a standard "form" letter that they send to lots of people. You should simply explain in your cover letter that you have never been deported from any country and therefore cannot provide any papers relating to this. The rule is mainly applied to UK citizens who have been deported back here from another country, not to foreign UK residents from the EU/EEA.

With regard to Habitual Residence, there is a slightly different HRT for ESA than there is for JSA. This is because JSA is classed as an "economically active" benefit while ESA is not. So it's possible that they may need to do another HRT for your new ESA claim.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I had this issue few months ago when I had claimed for JSA and as I had explained I have done and passed the 'Habitual Residential Test' made by jobcentre plus : since it is a transfert from JSA to ESA, and they are sharing my previous documents i do not understand the reason they are requesting again the same document.

In addition, my main documents had been stolen in Paris two years ago and I had declared it to the police : is the police report will be enough?

It probably sounds redundant to you, but procedure is that these things are checked every claim. What documents do you have, that you are able to provide? Passport?

I have set up an UK limited company since 2009 and have its bank statements and my personal UK bank statements/other documents during the last 5 years. I had temporally left the UK due to hardship I had at this time (assaulted and later unlawfully evicted with the help of a police officer (rent was paid up to date and i was just asking a repair before the payment of the next rent) ) also I needed a break...especially because after these events I was leaving in hotels and need a surgery due to my assault. All these facts are already well known by Job Centre since february 2012.

In that case you could also mention these facts (politely) in your cover note. Explain that in connection to your prior claim to JSA, you explained that a, b, and c were the case and you provided documents x, y and z to support your statements. But you should still attempt to provide everything they've asked for in relation to your new claim, annoying as it may be, and if you can't provide something, describe why not, or explain that it doesn't apply in your case.

When claiming benefits you're dealing with a huge, faceless government department. There is annoying and sometimes pointless paperwork. That's not to say you should never make a stand, of course, but pick your battles if you want to stay sane.

Hi all,

I am suffering severe chronic migraine and is going to ESA.

I have received few days ago a sicknote from GP on which he have writen :

migraine + chronic + severe

under investigation

Is this normal, or the 'under investigation' sound suspicious regarding my sickness (it is plan with my GP that I meet an expert in the next weeks).

MoonTop

Hi all,

I have received few days ago a sicknote from GP on which he have writen :

Is this normal, or the 'under investigation' sound suspicious regarding my sickness (it is plan with my GP that I meet an expert in the next weeks).

MoonTop[/quote

It is to inform any one who is given the certificate that your condition is being looked to see what further treatment/medication is needed.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Would have been easier to use your current thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?376789-Jsa-to-Esa-claim-DWP-is-overloading-me-with-documents-to-provide-self-employed&p=4086052&viewfull=1#post4086052 instead of starting a new one !

Hi all,

I have received few days ago a sick note from GP on which he have written :

Thanks in advance for your help

MoonTop

By the sounds your GP is referring to a consultant at the local hospital,worrying about it is only going to make your migraine worse.

Migraine are easily controlled with right medication and Make you better !

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Would have been easier to use your current thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?376789-Jsa-to-Esa-claim-DWP-is-overloading-me-with-documents-to-provide-self-employed%281-Viewing%29-nbsp instead of starting a new one !

By the sounds your GP is referring to a consultant at the local hospital,worrying about it is only going to make your migraine worse.

Migraine are easily controlled with right medication and Make you better !

Unfortunately, I am suffering this chronic migraine since 2006 and until today I have not found any medication working for me.

The worst in all of this is when your relatives think that your disease is false and also you simply don't want to work.

Ps: My migraine is intense with very dry/burning eyes, and joint pain. All on the daily basis.

p'haps best to keep to one thread on all aspects of this claim.

two threads merged

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi,

Presently my previous Job Centre adviser is preventing me to claim for ESA and has cancelled my last benefit payments: On 27 december since I was too unwell to sign on I have sent an email to my Job Centre adviser to inform her that i still very unwell (I was already sick since two weeks and also had to claim for ESA).

Presently, the adviser just does not answer to my emails and when I call Job Centre Plus they are saying that my JSA has not been closed and also they cannot proceed with my ESA claim.

Hi,

Presently my previous Job Centre adviser is preventing me to claim for ESA and has cancelled my last benefit payments: On 27 december since I was too unwell to sign on I have sent an email to my Job Centre adviser to inform her that i still very unwell (I was already sick since two weeks and also had to claim for ESA).

Presently, the adviser just does not answer to my emails and when I call Job Centre Plus they are saying that my JSA has not been closed and also they cannot proceed with my ESA claim.

My understanding is that if you get a doctors sick note for more than 14 days, then they have to close off the JSA claim from the relevant date. You then have to phone the ESA claim line and make a new ESA claim. The sick note can be backdated by your GP for the relevant period and sign you off for a relevant period into the future. The JCP staff dealing with the JSA claim, should then release the pay up to date and when your ESA claim goes through, you will get paid every 2 weeks, while you are under a GP sicknote. If you then remain on ESA with a GP sick note, an ATOS assessment should be arranged within 13 weeks, but may take longer.

You need to get an urgent appointment with a GP first, then see a JCP advisor and then phone the ESA new claim line.

You won't get anywhere with this, without a GP signing you off as sick.

If you are having constant migraines, this may be because of some other condition you are suffering from and the migraine is just a sympton. Make sure your GP is willing to investigate thoroughly and they should arrange a blood check, plus anything else that is necessary.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread