• Tweets

• Better version attached with the late appeal explained more clearly for the judge. This will sound silly, but I think it would be a good idea to e-mail it to the court and UKPC on Sunday.  It's probably me being daft, but Sunday is still March, and as it's late, sending it in March rather than April will make it sound like it was less late than it really is.  if you get my drift. You can still pop in a paper version on Tuesday if you want. E-mail address for the court: [email protected] And for UKPC: [email protected]   [email protected] Defendant WS.pdf
    • Update 15th March the eviction notice period expired, and I paid my next month rent along with sending them the message discussed above. After a short while they just emailed me back this dry phrase "Thank you for your email." In two weeks' time I'm gonna need to pay the rent again, and I have such a feeling that shortly after that date the contracts will be exchanged and all the payments will be made.  Now my main concern is, if possible, not to end up paying rent after I move out.  
    • they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

UK employer overpaid, now in US

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3986 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife was on maternity leave with the NHS for about 6 months before we moved to the US. It turns out, due to a cock-up their end, my wife was overpaid for those 6 months. Anybody who is a nurse/doctor would appreciate that payslips for shiftwork can be confusing and variable, so it wasn't obvious that she was being overpaid. It was only when she sent her notice in that they found the error and demanded nearly £10k immediately - this was in May. Words cannot describe the feeling.

My first response was to ask for proof of the overpayment and to offer £10 per week for a year. Rather cheeky but it's expensive moving to another country, especially on one wage. For whatever reason they didn't get the letter so they wrote again - I just sent the same letter again.

Then a couple of months later they again demanded nearly £10k/ I'm pretty sure the figure was slightly different from last time. No breakdown of figures was received. Quite frankly the tone of the letter was nasty and they ignored the offer I made. I wrote back again, repeating the same offer, but noting that my wife was unemployed and we were short of money so - if anything - they would have to accept a lower figure the longer they drew it out.

Finally, today - six months after the initial letter - they wrote back again. They provided a breakdown of the overpayments and guess what? It was "only" £3.5k. They rejected the offer and said that if agreement could not be reached then they would pass the matter on to their debt recovery team (note: I think that's internal, not a debt collection agency). Again, the tone of the letter was condescending and accusatory.

However, the problem I have is that we don't have that sort of money. My wife is still unemployed and I'm self employed, and we are eating away at the little equity I have left from selling the house in the UK - and that will run out at some point. She would be employed but it's taken months and months for the local nursing board to get their backsides into gear with her qualifications and NCLEX (exam). I doubt she'll be employed for a couple more months yet, and even then only if she passes the exam which is pretty tough.

I'm not saying we won't pay this debt - I have made an offer twice which they have rejected, albeit for a lower figure. I really can't afford to offer them any more than what we already did, though of course I could pay it off over several years. The latest letter hinted that they would demand a change in repayment if my wife became employed - is that reasonable?

My other concern is whether the NHS would try to sell the debt (is it a debt when it's an overpayment, compared to like a credit card or loan?) to the US. They know where we live unfortunately. I did think whether there might be an Ombudsman for the NHS who could mediate if we reach a stalemate. Personally I feel like writing to the local Trust and higher for the nasty tones of the letters, how long it's taken so far, and how they could cock up the amount owed by 3x the value - twice.

Any ideas/tips much appreciated!

Welcome simmer.

If you can't afford it, then you just pay what you can afford. Write to them again only this time you 'tell' them you can only afford £5 per month and request their account number and sort code so you can set up a standing order. If they continue to mess you around, you just tell them no account number means no money or you can ask for the account number and sort code without mentioning an amount and only when you have that tell them how much you can afford.

Don't be afraid of them, you have the money. Are you completely satisfied that you owe this at all? If not, then dispute it.

Would you like me to change your subject header to more reflect the problem you are having?

Completely agree - you TELL them what you can afford, not ask politely whether they will accept your offer, and if they don't provide a means of payment then they won't be able to collect. In the unlikely event that they were to take you to Court, the fact that they rejected regular payments would not be do their advantage.

I don't believe it is likely that you would be chased for this in the US, but far better to try and avoid a default CCJ in case you ever need to come back to the UK.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Are you completely satisfied that you owe this at all? If not, then dispute it.

Not entirely, as they've come up with 2 wildly different figures, and I think the first two were different as well. But they're most likely right in that something is owed. The breakdown they sent through did have a whole bunch of numbers and abbreviations on so in fairness they probably have analysed it properly this time.

Would you like me to change your subject header to more reflect the problem you are having?

If you think it would help! I thought it explained the situation quite succinctly but maybe a different choice of words would help.

I don't believe it is likely that you would be chased for this in the US, but far better to try and avoid a default CCJ in case you ever need to come back to the UK.

I didn't think CCJs could even be issued for non-residents of the UK?

Set up a standing order for payment once every 3 months otherwise currency transfer charges will kill anything you try and pay off.

Currency charges would be up to them to sort out. After all, they discovered they made a mistake after notice had been handed in and we were already abroad. I'm tempted to send them US cheques even though we still have UK accounts as we would suffer currency charges if we were to transfer the amount to the UK and then issue a UK cheque. My estate agent, who undercharged me, accepted a US cheque for the difference so I know it'll work.

Thanks everybody. I think I have a better understanding of what I can do now.

Whether they can obtain a CCJ or not depends on whether they are aware that you are resident outside the UK - are they communicating directly with you in the US or is your mail being forwarded? Papers could be served on a previous address and Judgment obtained by default. You could of course have this set aside, but it is more hassle that you clearly don't need!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Whether they can obtain a CCJ or not depends on whether they are aware that you are resident outside the UK - are they communicating directly with you in the US or is your mail being forwarded? Papers could be served on a previous address and Judgment obtained by default. You could of course have this set aside, but it is more hassle that you clearly don't need!

They know our address in the US and are sending mail directly to that address.

Can the actions of the person who sent the letters be regarded as harassment given that they've pooh-poohed our ability to repay it all immediately, and rejected our offers so far, and threatened to pass it to their debt recovery team (if that could be considered a threat)?

Just trying to delay it a little so I can get some money together.

Sorry to ask again but I'm keen to know the answer - if there is one - to "The latest letter hinted that they would demand a change in repayment if my wife became employed - is that reasonable?"

Many thanks.

Further to earlier, here are some phrases from the letter.

1. "You did not return to work following your maternity so it could be argued that you were at fault and could be regarded as fraud as you were receiving occupational maternity pay when you were not entitled to it". She signed a form at the start of maternity leave which had three options - returning to work, not returning to work, and not sure. She picked "returning" as that was her intention at the time.

2. "This was your second pregnancy at XXX [...] you will have been familiar with our policies". That was 4 years ago and I doubt the Ts&Cs are identical in that time.

3. "The amount is £4k which is significantly less than originally quoted [nearly £10k]. We are able to adjust tax, NI, and pension from the overpayment hence the difference in figures". Really? So tax, NI, and pension make up nearly 60% of the payment? And no, her pension contributions were small, as were the employer contributions.

• 4 weeks later...

Under the Employment Rights Acts 1996 employers are not, as a general rule, entitled to make deductions from wages.

They can only do so in very limited circumstances, for example, where there has been an ‘overpayment’ of salary and also if the employee consents in writing to the deduction. Most contracts of employment will include a clause entitling the employer to make a deduction from wages and such a clause is still advisable.

When an employee has been overpaid in this way, it is usual for the employer to be able to recover the sums under one of the ways set out above. However, this case is an example of where that rationale does not work. A person is able to keep the overpayment if

(1) they demonstrate they have spent the money on something they cannot get their money back on, and

(2) that they did not realise it was given to them in error

In this case, Mrs Keenan argued that the money had been spent on her mortgage and other intangible things and also that she genuinely believed that she was entitled to the money.

Although Barclays argued that this was a genuine mistake entitling them to recover the money, Mrs Keenan was a very plausible witness whose evidence, the Employment Tribunal held, showed a genuine belief in the payment.

Employers should continue to include deduction from wages clauses in their contracts of employment. However, they should also carry out financial audits frequently to ensure that any errors are dealt with quickly. This is particularly so when purchasing a business or where an employee changes role or reduces their hours. The longer a mistake goes untraced, the more likely a claimant may be to argue they deserved it.

http://www.boyesturner.com/news-article.html?id=774

Thanks. I just finalised a letter to them yesterday and we discovered that they'd made a number of mistakes in the pay breakdown they gave us (monthly totals not consistent with actual pay for several months - some months fine, others not). In addition, they didn't pay her for the notice period she gave (30 days, as required), nor have they accounted for holiday accrual during the maternity leave which we estimate to be around 2 weeks. So, from their original £9k figure down to £3k and now I'm actually wondering if they owe US money instead!

wouldn't be at all surprised.

Can't she contact her old Union for advice? Although I think she has a defence under the Employment Rights Acts 1996.

Technically she's not a union member anymore - but she did contact them a while ago and they pretty much said that she probably owed the money if that was what they said. I think I'm reasonably confident I can deal with anything that comes up now, thanks to this and other forums. They can't sell the debt across international waters without a court order in the US, though it doesn't stop them trying, and there are laws here to tell debt collectors to burger off (it's not all like you see on TV!), plus they have failed on three occasions to get the figures correct. Oh, and the original letter claimed they didn't know she was on maternity leave, yet the latest says that she was paid maternity allowance, so one of those statements is a lie. Frankly, if I was a judge, I'd start awarding damages to my wife for harassment and **** poor treatment by the NHS, though obviously I have a bias here!

Did you see this thread?

It looks familiar - maybe it was that thread or maybe I read similar facts elsewhere. But thanks.

I've given them 5 weeks to get a reply to me (as indicated in the letter), postmarked by that date. This is to prevent the 2+ month lag in between letters that they have previously done. I have told them that they need to apologise to my wife, to correct the payroll figures, to include the holiday and notice period figures, and if they don't respond by that date then I will have no more to do with them. Remember, this will be their fourth attempt to get the numbers right so I think it's fair to give them an ultimatum now.

Now, if they still insist we owe money and start letting the hounds loose, they might try to sell the debt to a US debt collector. Allegedly such a collector can be turned away at the door with a simple "I don't recognise that debt" and they have to leave - allegedly. They can send threatening letters - they can be ignored, or kept in a safe place. But if they tried to do things "correctly" and tried to sue in a Californian court then your link comes into play - and given that the £3k figure is receding by the minute, I doubt it's financially worth their while to even try that route. And they can't get a UK CCJ with the knowledge that we're non-resident.

I think we're covered - unless I've missed something? Just hope she doesn't have to work for the NHS again...

The majority of these threats of legal action are just that, threats. It is just not financially viable for them to pursue given the legal costs and time involved, particularly if they cannot be certain that they would be paid even if they won. Normally they just cut their losses and sell to a debt collector & given these circumstances it would have to be one at the bottom of the food chain who would buy it & even then they wouldn't go down the legal route.

The one thing to keep an eye on is if they try to get a CCJ here in the UK using a previous address. It's not usual but neither is it unknown of either, but even then that could be set-aside particularly as you have evidence of them communicating with you in the US.

If I understand correctly, if they tried a CCJ, it would be sent to our old address. My mum deals with mail redirected from there (only for a few more months though) so I guess she would see some sort of notification. How we get that set aside is a topic for more Googling. Thanks for the advice - hopefully it won't get to that point.

• 3 months later...

Progress: I eventually wrote to the CEO of the hospital. A few weeks later she (or her office) replied with a 2 page letter plus new spreadsheet. Assuming she is correct, the figures were roughly correct in the spreadsheet but mislabelled, including for May when it appeared she hadn't been "paid" but in fact it had been included in the figures, as had the annual leave. Minor corrections for car parking and a rather small compensation for the hassle deducted from what we owe. She still maintained that the difference from £9.5k to £3.5k was simply due to tax/NI/pension adjustments etc which I still struggle to believe.

What's more, she has offered a payment plan over 3 years which is far more manageable.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Glad that you seem to have sorted it all out :-)

DONATE HERE