StageD

Joint JSA(Contribution) Claim-one person now working 15 hours

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2490 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all, a benefit specific question for the experts as it seems to have our Job Center stumped.

My husband and I are claiming JSA Contribution, in a joint claim. I am the lead claimant.

He has now managed to secure a job working 15 hours a week at £6.21 per hour.

We called the JSA to inform them of this and find out how it would affect our benefit etc and the guy on the phone pretty much contradicted himself

and we got nowhere other than him saying we needed to go into the Job Center to let them know.

Down at the Job center however the guy on the front desk seemed to think there was an issue as well.

While he agreed my benefit wouldn't be effected he couldn't tell us how my husbands would be.

I'm hoping someone here will be able to help.

They were going on about something to do with a £5 dispensation (I think that's what it was called) but that would get wiped out because he was working for more than that...

I'm just very confused.

We're due to go back in on Friday because he was referring it to the manager (!) to get their decision.

But if anyone is able to help us out with some info in the mean time that'd really help because we need to get our finances back in line,

especially as we've just had a £400 debt his our doorstep from the taxman that we'd not known about before.

Our previous workplace's accountant was utterly useless it seems.

Any help is always appreciated, this site is brilliant :)

PS: does anyone know how to work out what tax my husband should be paying once he gets his first pay day? Or how much the Taxman might take each month to pay off the outstanding bill?

A cont-based JSA claim can't be a joint claim. What is possible, though, is to have a claim that is both cont- and income-based, and this could be a joint claim. It is a bit confusing, though, or can be.

Suppose you make a claim for both of you, and you satisfy the cont conditions but he does not. Assuming no other household income or savings in excess of £6000, and further assuming that you're both over 25, you might end up receiving about £112 per week. That amount is made up of £71 JSA© and £41 JSA(IB) to bring you up to the level the law says a couple needs to live on each week.

Your JSA© is not affected by your husband's earnings, but the JSA(IB) portion is. For a couple, the first £10 per week of earnings is disregarded (in other words, ignored for JSA purposes) and the rest is deducted pound-for-pound from the JSA(IB) portion of your benefit.

So it's worked out like this:

• First off, only your husband's net income is taken into account, after tax and NI are deducted
  • Then an additional £10 is allowed - in effect, subtracted from his weekly income
  • So we work with (His Weekly Income - Tax - NI - £10)
  • That figure will be deducted from the £41 JSA(IB) you are receiving as a couple
  • Given his income, that figure will likely be more than £41 per week
  • So you will not receive any JSA(IB) as a couple
  • But you yourself will continue to be entitled to the £71 JSA© until your contribution exhaust 6 months after the start of your claim

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thanks for the reply, that clears up a little bit of the confusion, and I supposed it would be something like that. What if it was the other way around though, and he was on contribution and I was on income base?

For that matter, why have we managed to both get jsa© granted to us in a joint claim? We are both eligible for jsa© in our own rights, and it is only due to the fact that we had to put that we were living under the same roof that we ended up in a joint claim. While this did try and put us into jsa© and jsa (ib) we queried it and they referred it to (someone, finance dept?) and we have both received letters, seprately, saying we are eligable for jsa©.

Contribution based JSA is paid first before any income based award so if you both qualify for contribution based JsA then that is will be paid, it is a joint claim if you are a couple both un-employed with no children under 16 in your household.

If you were receiving the income based award and your partner was receiving JSA © and he then started working the income based award would be gross £11.45 per week reduced by his part time earning (less the £10 disregard) and then if tere was any JSA © for himthat would also be reduced from your income based award.

Unfortunately JCP staff are not trained in benefits anymore so that is why they can't give answers (I am old school and was pre-JCP where I used to be an IS processor and some JSA processing too).

Contribution based JSA is paid first before any income based award so if you both qualify for contribution based JsA then that is will be paid, it is a joint claim if you are a couple both un-employed with no children under 16 in your household.

If you were receiving the income based award and your partner was receiving JSA © and he then started working the income based award would be gross £11.45 per week reduced by his part time earning (less the £10 disregard) and then if tere was any JSA © for himthat would also be reduced from your income based award.

Unfortunately JCP staff are not trained in benefits anymore so that is why they can't give answers (I am old school and was pre-JCP where I used to be an IS processor and some JSA processing too).

I had worked on the assumption that the claim could not be joint if both members of the couple satisfied the cont conditions, which is why I assumed a combined C+IB claim. Of course, as you know, I was an ESA guy and while there are similarities, there are also differences. So I'm possibly missing something.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

If both customers satisfy the contribution based elements then they will still be required to be a joint claim (if no health conditions to exempt from signing or children) at the JCP but payment is diffrent and if there is no underlying entitlement to income based JSA then they will only be paid their individual payments but still set up on JSAPs as a joint claim.

If both customers satisfy the contribution based elements then they will still be required to be a joint claim (if no health conditions to exempt from signing or children) at the JCP but payment is diffrent and if there is no underlying entitlement to income based JSA then they will only be paid their individual payments but still set up on JSAPs as a joint claim.

Right, makes sense. So presumably in the case of the OP, her JSA© is unaffected but husband's will be nilled by his earnings?

I think that is right yes, but it is rather late so I will check again tomorrow after some sleep

I think that is right yes, but it is rather late so I will check again tomorrow after some sleep

Your thoughts are always appreciated :-)