magamanic

should i foi for this or just ask

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2485 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi i recently underwent my Atos, so called assessment and had a nurse do an examination on my leg but the part i,m interested in is that upon taking a measurement for muscle wastage she performed it by doing it on the outside of the jeans i was wearing on both legs and not directly on my skin which to me would not give an accurate measurement and would be quite open to manipulation on her part so i want to use this as part of a complaint to atos so what i want to know is would i be better asking them for the procedure they use for carrying out this test by way of an freedom of information or just ask also i am finding it hard to find info on the correct way to carry out this test off the web so if anyone has any links i would be grateful

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/wca-handbook.pdf

This is a link to the WCA handbook to get you started. I doubt there is anything more specific about how to carry out the examination other than general good practice.

I would agree that measuring muscle wastage over jeans is not right. Is your problem neurological? If it is, I think (but check elsewhere as I'm not 100% certain) your assessment should have been done by a doctor, not a nurse.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

thank you for the advice reallymadwomen i suffer from osteoarthritis/inflammatory -arthritis/and psoriasis- arthritis with decreased movement range of my knee plantar fasciitis and depression bought on by my other conditions found the examination part most strange sat upright on low bed done a hip movement test only no leg or knee test carried out then sat on a chair whilst she done this muscle waist test over my jeans

You have my sympathy - my Dad has psoriasis and it is a horrible condition especially if you get the arthritis as well. Not neurological though so nothing to complain about there.

You could be lucky and have 'passed' the assessment anyway but it wouldn't hurt to make a note of as much as you remember anyway, and also if someone went with you ask them to make their own independent notes of what happened.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

There would be arguements along the lines that as both legs measured , the relative differential in mass between the legs wouldnt really be affected by much as both legs were covered. Essentially they are looking for a significant difference in size as every ones arms legs arnt identical measurements. If they had pulled tightly on the measure on the thicker leg and loosely on the thinner leg then i would be more worried about the result. Sorry if that doesnt help much but trying to show how that could be interpreted.

Well if there are no previous measurements available then measurements of the muscles will be insufficient to determine if any muscle atrophy ior wasting has occured or not.

In such a case a complete examination of the muscles including assessment of,

Muscle Power

Muscle Tone

Reflexes (to check for neurological problems)

Is needed to determine if any muscle atrophy has occured or not.

well i manage to fnd this i think this cleary shows that her test was a shambles

The measurement of calf and thighs with a tape measure will be helpful once a baseline measurement is taken and then serial measurements are taken over a fixed time period at a FIXED distance from the knee joint (tibial tuberosity is usually taken as the reference point). If the serial measurements are not taken at a fixed distance from the knee joint then the values wont be significant to determine any muscle wasting

none of the above carried out =test has no validity

my conclusion solely done by hcp to manipulate results