• Tweets

• I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

NIGEL 1804 back for the rest.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5134 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone. while the bank is currently in the mire,could someone send them letters asking why and that any payments they have missed should be paid asap and we are charging you for missing that payment and .....etc .....etc.......Now that you are in a position that a lot of your customers have been in due to your heavy handed and damn right disregard for that persons situation. ie. your charging policy. WELCOME TO OUR PLEASURE DOME>>>>> Please pay up any charges refunds before you go bust...Oh and lets all see if the Lloyds would like to rescue everyone elses backsides aswell....sorry for being synical everyone.

regards nigel:lol:

HALIFAX CURRENT ACCOUNT SETTLED IN FULL 9/9/06.

N1 form completed 05-06-07,LBA sent 14-05-07,2nd go!Prelim sent 24/04/07

Halifax Visa 1.Paid in full

Halifax Classic.Paid in full.

LBA sent 14-05-07,GMAC prelim sent 24/04/07

Data Protection Act for halifax mortgage 16/09/06.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi again everyone,sorry tosound thickbut after reading the judgement with the oft case by bankfodder can someone please tell me in laymans terms what the latest stage is please should I still N1 my latest claim

hope everyone is healthy and wel

regards

nigel

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone just had a letter from my courts "General Form of Judgement or Order"

Which reads.

Before DISTRICT JUDGE BEDFORD sitting at Leeds County Court,

Upon considering the papers on the court file.

This order was made of the District Judge's own initiative. If you object to the order you must make an application to have it set aside,varied or stayed within 7 days of receiving it.

IT IS ORDERED THAT.

1. The claim stand out under the Order of 25 September 2007 , no request having been filed under paragraph 2.

Dated 28 November 2008.

sorry to sound thick but what is this asking me to do or what are they saying is happeneing.

regards Nigel

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone has there been any further movement in the case with the OFT. This does seem to be dragging on .

Regards

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone just heard that we won the first case and now it is going to be dragged on for a further 6 months. Can anyone give advice to how you claim for hardship.?

Regards

Nigel

Hi again, right so I've read up on the lifting of the stay of actions. Can this be asked for at any time on a case or does it have to be done within seven days of the stay being made.

I'm self employed and I am only receiving my family tax and working tax credits as I've been off for six months with an injury. I have all my doctors certificates from June and my parents have been helping me through. Can somebody show what form to fill in is it the N244 form and I take it I send it to the banks solicitors with my case number.

Regards

Nigel.

Could someone please tell me if I would use this letter as a request to stop the stay of action .

I wish to use the fact that it would be under hardship (please see proceeding replies) so do I have to use all 8 points or just the one about hardship and the otherpoints in black only.

Claim no xxxxxx

In the (insert place)County

XXXXX(your name)

Claimant

and

XXXXXXXX Bank plc

Defendant

SKELETON ARGUMENT FOR THE CLAIMANT(Litigant in person)

In the proceedings on xx/xx/xxxx at x.xx am/pm relating to the Defendant’s application to impose a stay/or the Claimant’s application to lift a stay

The Claimant will rely on the following submissions:

1. Human Rights- To impose a stay in the present proceedings would infringe my rights conferred by Art 6 of the European Convention of Human Rights, to receive a fair hearing within a reasonable time.

2. Blanket stays – The imposition of blanket stays runs contrary to the wishes of the Master of the Rolls and my right to have my case decided on its merits.

3. Distinguishing factors - (add any distinguishing factors here ie things which make your case different to that of OFT eg if your bank has defended purely on the basis of penalty rather than UTCCR also if yours is a credit card, mortgage or business claim

4. Hardship give a brief outline of why you will suffer hardship if your case is stayed

5. Balance of convenience – A stay will disproportionately affect myself and operate oppressively whereas it will relieve the defendant of all obligations towards me until the outcome of the test case

6. Defendant’s conduct -Give brief details of your banks litigation conduct in your own case and in other cases eg if they drag things out and settle at last minute

7. Status quo - A stay would not maintain the status quo but would favour the defendant by allowing them to continue to apply charges to my account without allowing myself to pursue a legitimate claim to a remedy

8. Conditional order -Should the court be minded to order a stay it is respectfully requested that conditions should attach to the order so as not to prejudice the claimants position. Such an order should include

a). That the defendant bank is prevented from applying further penalty charges to my account until the final settlement of the matter.

b).That the defendant is prevented from applying interest charges to any outstanding amounts which are comprised of penalties until the settlement of the matter.

c). That the defendant is prevented from closing my account.

d).That the defendant is prevented from making any entry on its own systems or from communicating any similar information to any third party about any matter insofar as it relates to penalty charges until the final settlement of the matter.

e).That the defendant removes any derogatory entry on its own records insofar as it relates to penalty charges. (The Court has the power to do this under the Data Protection Act 1998 )

f). That the defendant arranges the removal of entries from the records of any third parties to whom it has previously communicated information insofar as it relates to penalty charges. (The Court has the power to do this under the Data protection Act 1998.)

g). That these injunctions remain in place until the settlement of my claim.

h).That should my claim proceed to a hearing that a decision should be made at the hearing as to whether these injunctions should be made permanent.

i).That if the matter should not proceed to a hearing because the defendant decides to settle outside court, that these injunctions should become permanent

Signed

dated

Hi is there any MODs that could possibly help me in this matter.I have won sveral other cases against the Halifax so would I put these into my letter like in the above part 6 position.Hope everone hasn't disappeared. Also couls anyone advice me.A while ago I sent in my prelim letter and my LBA letter but held back on my court N1 to which lots of charges have been added since should I start the process again or should I just send in my N1 now Is there a time span from LBA to N1 after the 14 days have passed as to which you should re shedule the claim.

Regards

Nigel

I think you should just concentrate on the issue of hardship, as that has been the most successful method of getting payments back. In fact I believe Halifax have been pretty good on this issue.

You could use this letter. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/154154-hardship-stayed-claims.html#post1640904

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

OH great .Many thanks Caro.

Hi again .Do I send the hardship letter to the courts so they then process it on to HBOS. And has anyone asked for the stay to be ignored when pitting in a new claim. I have a new claim and would like the stay to be lifted on the grounds of hardship. So do I have to wait until the stay is put on before I can ask for it to be lifted.So could I ask for a stay not to be placed on the claim show hardship grounds straight away.

Help:?:oops:

Regards

Nigel

I suggest that you submit an N244 to apply for the stay to be lifted, and also amend your claim to take into account new charges.

Do you know if you might be exempt from paying court fees?

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Caro, I don't think so. The last time I looked into this they had changed the qualifying. My first cases they allowed me to claim on the grounds that I was climing tax credits and working tax credits. When I last looked I think If you had both credits then you were excempt from the waiver of court fees. I'm not bothered about the court fee as my parents will lend me that (I can give them it back when they pay out;)).Its just at the moment I'm on the sick self employed and only my tax credits coming in.I don't think I can claim statutary sick pay because I only pay class 2 NI. Unless you know any other.

Regards

Nigel

P.S. sorry for the delay but thanks for your help.

The reason that I asked if you are exempt is because it may add leverage to you being considered a hardship case. If the court consider you too hard up to pay court fees, they'd be hard pressed to argue that you CAN afford bank charges.

Still, if you let the court have a breakdown of your income and expenditure it will show your problems.

Yes I thought that was your train of thought. It used to be that both tax credits were allowed but anyway it seems not nowadays. I believe there is a hardship template spreadsheet in the templates library. Should I wait for my new claim to be stayed or should I ask that it not be stayed when putthing the claim into court with hardship letter and hardship spread sheet.

You see I have already got one claim going through the stayed stage and now I want to put a further claim in from the same account.

Regards

Nigel

Edited by nigel1804

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again everyone COULDF SOMEONE PLEASE HELP? just noticed that on a

GENERAL FORM OF JUDGEMENT ORDER it says the following.

IT IS ORDERED THAT.

1. tHIS ACTION BE STAYED PENDING THE FINAL DECISION(BEING JUDGEMENT IN THE ACTION OR THE FINAL APPELLATE COURT, WHICHEVER IS THE LATER) IN THE TEST CASE BETWEEN THE OFFICE OF FAIR TRADING V NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK PLC AND OTHERS (THE TEST CASE ) OR FURTHER ORDER OF THE COURT.

"DO I HAVE TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT THE NEXT PARAGRAPH.?"

2. IF NO PARTY SHALL FILE AT COURT OFFICE BY 4.00PM ON THE 4 MARCH 2008 A WRITTEN REQUEST FOR DIRECTIONS AND /OR A HEARING DATE THE CLAIM SHALL BE STRUCK OUT WITHOUT FURTHER ORDER ON THAT DATE.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF MY CLAIM HAS BEEN THROWN OUT OR IS IT STILL IN PLACE DUE TO THE STAY OF ACTIONS STILL BEEN IN PLACE THIS HAS BEEN IN SINCE 5 SEPT 2007.

AND IF IT HAS BEEN THROWN OUT SHOULD I JUST MAKE A FRESH CLAIM FOR MY LATEST CHARGES AND ADD THIS PERIOD ON TO IT ......PLEASE HELP REGARDS NIGEL

:confused:UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!Looks like it has been struck out I believe that I have to fill in a N244 form and ask for it to be reinstated....at £75 fee.regards Nigel:confused:

I would say it hasn't been struck out yet from your post above. You need to get directions in by 4th March and request a court date, and there's no mention of a fee.

All is far from lost.;)

Hi Caro, thanks for replying. I asked the court if it had been struck out and it had it was the 4th March 2008. But the girl said use a 244 form to ask for reinstatement. I will do this and place my new claim in at the same time although the girl was very helpfull she said ask for the judges guidance on my new claim to see if it could be added to my old claim and then the stay be lifted on the grounds of hardship . Maybe Bankfodder or yourself might be able to point out to people exactly what the General form of judgement or order means so that people of lay knowledge will realise to keep up with the courts. I'm asking for the judge to reinstate on the grounds that it was stayed on the outcome of the case between Office of fair trading v National Westminster bank and others and that the case hasn't been settled yet. Not sure what to put on the 244 form. For instance question 5 what type of heearing does this require to have it reinstated which box do I tick there.? And what about question 10 ????????? Is there a template to help fill in this form ?????? Many thanks for your help. I think it might be simpler to just put new claim in and ask for reinstatement of old. the ask for the stay to be lifted.don't you. regards Nigel

Hi everyone. Is it possible to ask for a case not to be stayed. Ie when I put in my N1 form knowing that all other cases in this field are to be stayed on the outcome of the OFT case. Is it possible to ask straighht away or do I have to wait until the N1 form has been deemed served and a case number assigned to the case before I can ask for the stay to be lifted. regards Nigel:-?

Make the point in your POC on the N1 that you are experiencing hardship and as such believe it should be exempt, under the waiver, from the stays that are being imposed due to the current test case between the OFT and 8 banks.

The idea is to prevent a stay happening at all if possible.

Hi Caro many thanks for that. I take it that I put this in the small POC on the actual N1 form not on the 2 page large POC that is in more detail that we have a template for.regards Nigel

Hi again everyone. I wonder if someone could run an educated eye over a draft letter I have put together for my new claim not to have a stay of action emposed on it.Any comments much appreciated. regards Nigel

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please find attached a detailed summary of my financial standing, as evidence in support of my claim/request, be treated sympathetically and speedily in view of hardship.

I am currently self employed and had a poor financial year 2007-2008.Since the 3rd June 2008 have not been able to work due to injury. I have full doctor’s certificates and have made provisions in the past for such an eventuality with Mortgage protection and loan protection insurances. I am currently struggling on my working tax and family tax credits only and the help of my pensioner parents. I have recently been behind with my mortgage by three months and my council tax is in arrears by two months.

I am currently looking towards Invalidity benefit.

My situation hasn’t been helped by the bank continually charging extortionate amounts from my account.

I am currently experiencing hardship and as such believe it should be exempt, under the waiver of July 2007 and continuation of July 2008 from the stays that are being imposed due to the current test case between the OFT and 8 banks.

I look forward to acknowledgment of this, with an undertaking that you will proceed to process it, as per the requirements of the terms agreed within the waiver.

Yours Faithfully

Enc; Financial Statement.

Data protection act 1998.

I give my permission for you to process/use data related to me, in the course of processing my claim to a satisfactory conclusion.

Signed Name

Not sure that you need to enclose the DPA, but the letter looks good.

Ok Caro Do you mean those words exactly or the whole paragraph about using my information.?

Regards nigel