BankFodder BankFodder

kwalsh121

City Link have stolen my parcel

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2583 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

As ridiculous as this sounds - I think it's true.

I'll try to be brief - basically I had a parcel to send to an associate (someone I only know through Facebook and a group I am a member of). I arranged through Parcel Monkey for the parcel to be collected from my home on the 28th November by City Link and delivered down to Kent the next day.

I had to go out of the house for a few hours on the 28th and, typically, the driver came while I was out. He left a card saying 'parcel collected' in my postbox. I thought this was a courtesy card to let me know he had been and gone, as the parcel was in my kitchen so unavailable for collection. I assumed I would have to pay again for the collection of the parcel as I had missed my slot.

When I contacted City link to rearrange collection they told me they had attempted to deliver the parcel that morning (the 29th) but had been unsuccessful. "I'm fairly confident that that is not my parcel, as my parcel is still on the kitchen side" I told them. "Oh dear, I'll try to get hold of the driver and try and find out what is going on, I'll call back and let you know" they said.

I called back the next day to be told the parcel had been delivered that morning (the 30th) - I then them that wasn't the correct parcel, and that I needed them to collect the right parcel and deliver it be the weekend as it was time critical - I was told someone would collect and deliver the next day before 12.

This didn't happen. During this time I had contacted the lady due to receive the parcel to see if she had indeed received a parcel she wasn't expecting. I also contacted Next because I was expecting the delivery of a mirror and it was showing as delivered online but I didn't have it. (Can you see where this is going...?)

The lady replied to say that she had received a mirror from Next.

So, it turns out that the City Link driver came to my house while I was out, saw a brown box outside the door and decided to take this for delivery, even thought it was not marked as delivery to Kent, but was in fact marked for delivery to me at my house - hence that being where it was.

In what I can only assume an attempt to be helpful, he created a label back at the depot and sent my mirror on it's merry way. This mirror is worth £110 by the way (who knows why the other delivery driver left an expensive parcel without a signature but that's another story).

Anyway, they came to pick up the correct parcel once I informed them of the situation but said they would keep the correct parcel ransom until the mirror had been collected.

Both parcels have now gone missing and City Link are telling me to raise it with Parcel Monkey. I accept the correct missing parcel is to be raised with Parcel Monkey, as it was insured, however what to do about the missing mirror which has been stolen from outside my house.

I have written confirmation that it was delivered from the lady who received the mirror but now I don't know what to do. Surely the fact they have been unable to retrieve the mirror is nothing to do with me?

The only thing I can think is to report it to the police but that seems a bit extreme to me.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

As ridiculous as this sounds - I think it's true.

I'll try to be brief - basically I had a parcel to send to an associate (someone I only know through Facebook and a group I am a member of). I arranged through Parcel Monkey for the parcel to be collected from my home on the 28th November by City Link and delivered down to Kent the next day.

I had to go out of the house for a few hours on the 28th and, typically, the driver came while I was out. He left a card saying 'parcel collected' in my postbox. I thought this was a courtesy card to let me know he had been and gone, as the parcel was in my kitchen so unavailable for collection. I assumed I would have to pay again for the collection of the parcel as I had missed my slot.

When I contacted City link to rearrange collection they told me they had attempted to deliver the parcel that morning (the 29th) but had been unsuccessful. "I'm fairly confident that that is not my parcel, as my parcel is still on the kitchen side" I told them. "Oh dear, I'll try to get hold of the driver and try and find out what is going on, I'll call back and let you know" they said.

I called back the next day to be told the parcel had been delivered that morning (the 30th) - I then them that wasn't the correct parcel, and that I needed them to collect the right parcel and deliver it be the weekend as it was time critical - I was told someone would collect and deliver the next day before 12.

This didn't happen. During this time I had contacted the lady due to receive the parcel to see if she had indeed received a parcel she wasn't expecting. I also contacted Next because I was expecting the delivery of a mirror and it was showing as delivered online but I didn't have it. (Can you see where this is going...?)

The lady replied to say that she had received a mirror from Next.

So, it turns out that the City Link driver came to my house while I was out, saw a brown box outside the door and decided to take this for delivery, even thought it was not marked as delivery to Kent, but was in fact marked for delivery to me at my house - hence that being where it was.

In what I can only assume an attempt to be helpful, he created a label back at the depot and sent my mirror on it's merry way. This mirror is worth £110 by the way (who knows why the other delivery driver left an expensive parcel without a signature but that's another story).

Anyway, they came to pick up the correct parcel once I informed them of the situation but said they would keep the correct parcel ransom until the mirror had been collected.

Both parcels have now gone missing and City Link are telling me to raise it with Parcel Monkey. I accept the correct missing parcel is to be raised with Parcel Monkey, as it was insured, however what to do about the missing mirror which has been stolen from outside my house.

I have written confirmation that it was delivered from the lady who received the mirror but now I don't know what to do. Surely the fact they have been unable to retrieve the mirror is nothing to do with me?

The only thing I can think is to report it to the police but that seems a bit extreme to me.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

The courier mistakenly took a parcel thinking it was the one to be picked up, and delivered it to where the correct parcel should have gone to.

In the absence of "an intent to permanently deprive", by definition, this is not theft by the couriers.

By all means hold them to correcting their error, but I suspect involving the police will have them showing you the door of the station. A mistake by the courier may be a civil wrong, but I'm not sure what crime might have been committed if any : it is not (IMHO) theft.

Fair enough, that makes sense.

Still a bit stuck as to what to do - I guess I'll just keep contacting them until I work something out. Their customer services is pretty poor.

Thanks BazzaS for your reply.