Termination of contract without notice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4134 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

In need of some advice for my wife.

She has been working on a temporary contract through an agency since May 2012 and never had any complaints, disciplinaries, or problems with her work.

Her boss came into the office today and told her he was terminating her contract with immediate effect. He said there were a couple of things he was not happy about.

Even though she was on a temporary contract, can he just terminate her contract like that without notice?

He is well aware this means we are now both not working and to do this just 3 days before christmas.

Appreciate any advice use can offer

DJ

I suggest that you visit a Citizens Advice Bureau to discuss the case with a Case Worker... and to establish whether or not any claim of unfair dismissal may be addressed.

However, some information on the protection of agency workers is contained within

http://www.hrbullets.co.uk/employment-law-basics/agency-workers.html

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_rights_at_work_e/contracts_of_employment.htm#how_the_rights_in_the_employees_contract_relate_to_rights_in_law

Thanks Rebecca,

I have done some research and it appears my wife cannot claim unfair dismissal because she has been working for the company for less than two years.

It seems the only course of redress she has would be a claim for wrongful dismissal, ie dismassal without proper notice and failure to follow the acas code of conduct.

We are off on holiday for a week from tomorrow morning, so will contact a solicitor when we get back and maybe look into the possibility of a compromise agreement.

Thanks again

DJ

She was Agency Atlas,

But after 12 weeks agency workers accrue the same rights as permanent employees, therefore she can claim wrongful dismissal for lack of notice.

DJ

Only if she had a contractual right to notice. S86 ERA 1996 which governs this does not apply to workers, only employees.

The 12 week rights also don't cover all employments rights - only pay, duration of working time, rest breaks, rest periods and annual leave.