BankFodder BankFodder

lawsonics

Lowell made me bankrupt without my knowledge!!!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2423 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I am so distressed and absolutely horrified on how these [edit] people got away so easily with this... devastating.

On Monday I received a thick pack from The Insolvency Service informing me I was made bankrupt. I thought it was just another [problem], and read through it in disbelief...

Slowly sinking in, I called the Official Receiver on the letter, and was confirmed. I just can't believe it...

I called around, Citizens Advice Bureau, Legal Aid (for which I don't qualify because I'm a home owner), and others who said I'd have to make a couple of thousands available for legal costs alone.

I also called Lowell to see what this debt was related to as the pack from the IS didn't have reference to the amount or original creditor. They jumped on me trying to get money through my wife making a payment and said the debt is for a Barclaycard, for £3,500, and they said they would settle for about £5000 because we need to pay costs... Outrageous.

I have been avidly reading through threads on here, especially 42man thread below, which seems to be exactly like my case:

Bankruptcy-Order-!!!-***-WON-TWICE-***

Re. Statutory demand: Apparently, I was served personally on 6 March this year, which I can't recollect at all. My wife and I run our business from home and we receive tons of post, every day, by Royal Mail and courier. We also have interns who would go and fetch the post, or answer the door when they are here. The building entrance is communal. We live on a second floor. We open everything personal. If I did get the SD, then I probably would have ignored it as a scare tactics if I didn't recognise the Creditor's name. Never heard of Lowell or Hamptons until I google them. Definitely not nice people!! The affidavit fits my description, though. But then, my picture is around the internet quite a lot if you Google my name...

Re. Petition, they seem to have attempted a few times during August while we were away (from end of July to 1st week of September) house and dog-sitting for friends. Then the got a substituted service and they said it was posted by Recorded Delivery, but there's no proof of postage on the file and I certainly didn't get anything like that.

It's gutting to be at this junction where everything has already been decided at my back and I have, so it seems, no chance to defend myself!!! I wonder if anyone can advice if there's any way I can get this bankruptcy annulled? Do I have any chance?

Would greatly appreciate comments and help! I am worried about our home and finances are tight... I have 2 small children, and income is meagre at the moment as business is doing really badly with the downturn.

Thank you all in advance!

Edited by honeybee13
Edited a couple of words.

Have alerted the site team to see if they can seek help from those more knowledgeable on this. There was a very similar post about 6 months ago, where someone managed to suspend the bankruptcy until it could be looked at properly. Trying to think which thread this was on.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you unclebulgaria! As I said, I read 42man's which is similar. But there are parts where I get lost because some communication seem to have been done via PM.

In the meantime, I think I will get a SAR sent to the original creditor. Shall I bother to send a CCA request to Lowell? Do they have to comply at this stage?

Hello there.

The site team are aware of your thread [thank you, UB :)] and will be along when they can, as will other caggers I'm sure. I've edited a couple of words in your post to keep on the safe side.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Here is another thread where Lowells made someone bankruptcy without their knowledge.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?346149-Made-bankrupt-without-my-knowledge-!&highlight=lowell+Bankruptcy

Think you will need to apply for the bankruptcy to be annulled using form 7.1.

If you look on this site, there is guide on MS Word ' Can my bankruptcy be cancelled ' . Suggest that you have a read and follow it through.

http://www.bis.gov.uk/insolvency/publications

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

how disgusting.!!

typical unhand trick by them.

get as much info about the debt as you can

yes SAR ASAP do it recorded.

as for the CCA, bit late now as its already gone to court.

cretainly noe stay off that phone!!

dx

Thanks to all for the quick replies. I am sending the SAR to the original creditor, and a combined SAR CCA to Lowell which I post here. Please advice me asap if you think there's anything wrong with it as I'd like to get this on the post tonight.

Many thanks!!!!

––––––––––––

19 December 2012

PART 1 - Data Protection Act disclosure request

PART 2 – Consumer Credit Act request

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT WITH YOUR COMPANY

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Bankruptcy Order No. xxxxx

Your reference: xxxxxxxx

Please supply me with All my personal data you hold including a complete list of transactions and charges (or alternatively a set of statements) relating to my account history with your organization or any you are representing. I also require a complete Breakdown of each Late Payment fee and Over Limit fee charged to this account, or any similar related charges. The complete breakdown of each charge must contain the following:

Hourly rate of each member of staff involved with each administration of the fees / charges. The time each member of staff spent on the administration of the fees/charges. Details of the work carried out and completed by each member of staff involved with each administration of the fees/charges. Total cost of the paper, envelopes, ink, and postage of each automated and manually written letter relevant to the issuing of the fees/charges, and any other costs incurred in each fee/charge including other employee’s involvement, their hourly rate, time spent on the involvement, and what their involvement consisted of.

Additionally, where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff, or any other person or any that you represent, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you or any that you represent. If you are unable to supply this data because there has been no such manual intervention, then please be so kind as to confirm this in your response.

I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 40 days in which to comply. Furthermore, if I discover that you have levied disproportionate penalties against me, then I shall be reclaiming them, and also reclaiming the enclosed £10 Data Protection Act Subject access request fee.

Furthermore please provide me with a copy of my contracts with you and any company you represent, and a copy of my original terms and conditions. I make this request under the Data Protection Act 1984 and 1998, and including the right of subject access under these acts.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 section 78, I am entitled to receive a true SIGNED copy of any credit agreements and a statement of account on request . I enclose a payment of £1.00 which represents the fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

I understand a copy of any credit agreement along with a statement of account should be supplied within12 working days.

I further understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with the request for a copy of the agreement and statement of account under these sections of the Act.

Please note that the postal orders I have supplied are NOT to be applied to any alleged debt but used only for purposes supplied.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

sar to OC

dont need one to lowlife

dx

sar to OC

dont need one to lowlife

dx

Thanks dx. Do I send them CCA instead?

You need to obtain a copy of the proof of posting if they sent it bey Recorded delivery - they have mentioned this in their statement so they are obliged to have it and provide it.

Thing is - I am not sure how you would ask for this.. I dont think normal CPR applies in Insolvency cases.

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy -

HERE

2: Take back control of your finances -

Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated -

Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.

DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation

IF WE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE A DONATION TO HELP US TO CONTINUE HELPING YOU

I AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE PM's AND I WILL RESPOND IF I FEEL I CAN ASSIST BUT WHEN YOU DO CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COMMENT - THANK YOU

IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.

Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

If there has been a hearing where you were not present then they HAVE to serve a certificate of continued service.....the key here is to pick up all the documents in the court file, I hope you can fight this.....but you need to work quite quickly...

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.

DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation

IF WE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE A DONATION TO HELP US TO CONTINUE HELPING YOU

I AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE PM's AND I WILL RESPOND IF I FEEL I CAN ASSIST BUT WHEN YOU DO CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COMMENT - THANK YOU

IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.

Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

A trip to the court is needed to pick up everything in the court files in the first instance.....

Many thanks to all for the advice. I have been reading through the links suggested.

So far, what I've done is:

- Obtained copies of the court files (more below)

- Contacted OR to let them know I am in the process of applying to get the bankruptcy annulled.

- Sent SAR to OC on Recorded delivery

Now, I have also produced a summary of events/documents/decisions with notes so I have a quick reference to the whole process, which I post here below.

6/3/12 (Tuesday, 10:30hs) - Statuory Demand served personally (description fits, but I can't recall)

22/7/12 (6am) - We travel abroad

23/7/12 - Petition filed

13/8/12 (18hs) - 1st Attempt to serve Petition (we are away)

20/8/12 (12.30hs) - 2nd Attempt to serve Petition (we are away). They said there's a Letter of appointment sent (not received)

24/8/12 (10.30hs) - 3rd attempt to serve Petition (we are away). Mentions knocking door but we have a communal entrance and live on a 2nd floor!

27/8/12 - We return home

Date??? – Lowell applies for an extension of time and substituted service.

10/9/12 - It’s granted by District Judge Coonan. Notes are:

- New hearing date moved to 9/11 (11hs).

- Also ordered that ‘any further application of time should be supported by full written evidence.’

- The order for substituted service has been granted to be served by 1st Class post and Recorded delivery post

- They order for 3 + 4 copies of form 6.15A

Nothing received.

18/10/12 – Lowell applies for substituted service AGAIN. District Judge comments “Application is dismissed. An order for substituted service was made by Judge Coonan as long ago as 10/9/12 and it has taken this long for a draft to be supplied.”

31/10/12 – Certificate of Service issued. It states:

On what day did you serve? 31/10/12

Date of service is 02/11/12

9/11/12 – Service is deemed good and sufficient on 7th day after posting. A bit confused on when exactly this is? 7th or 9th Nov?

9/11/12 – Hearing date. No documents were received so I could not attend hearing.

7/12/12 – Bankruptcy ordered by District Judge Hart. No order received from Court.

17/12/12 – Documents from the Insolvency Service received informing me of bankruptcy. (now Post seems to be working?? how strange...)

–––––

I think the next step should now be to file a 7.1A Form to ask for an order of annulment... but I'm not sure what to put in it!! I think I have a case here upon the following:

1. I never received the petition. (and there's no proof of Recorded Delivery postage with the Certificate of Service).

2. Substituted service date is 31/10. Deemed to be good and sufficient 7 days after: 7/11. Hearing date: 9/11, which I missed because I never knew...

Aside from this, I looked through to see if there is a Certificate of Continued Service as suggested by 42man, but there's none. Could you please give me some more details on this?

Also, I have read the link here where it says: "Yes, I was made bankrupt by the Court in my absence, but immediately I received the court's letter informing me of this, I applied a stay of proceeding and stay of advertisement, sighting reasons that I was not aware of the bankruptcy charges and court hearing". I NEVER got a letter from the court informing me of the Bankruptcy Order!

Can you please help me out/point me to a template to complete the 7.1A?

Many thanks and Happy Christmas to all Caggers!

Hello,

I'm drafting now the 7.1A form and having checked paperwork carefully, we noticed that the credit card number on the petition does not match my account... to the best of my knowledge, this card was not sold to another company.

Is this something I should include in the 7.1A?

Yes, I would..

HERE

Debt Diaries

Read Here

Read Here

Please Read

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Inspecting a copy of the statutory demand, wrong card number here too... perhaps that's enough grounds?

Inspecting a copy of the statutory demand, wrong card number here too... perhaps that's enough grounds?

It will almost certainly help :)

HERE

Debt Diaries

Read Here

Read Here

Please Read

BCOBS

If the number relates to one you have never had (and more so if you are able to prove it then it should be good grounds). As for the certificate of continuing service if there are/were hearings where the other party or yourself did not attend court on a hearing date then they have to provide a certificate or affadavit of continuing service, which they have to send to you and also forward to the court. Have you also sent off for copies of the agreements too by way of a CCA request ?

Thanks 42man. I have sent off for docs by way of SAR directly to Barclays. I also called them and they confirmed they would be dealing with it.

I was asking here before if I should also be sending CCA to Lowells but most people seem to think it's too late now? I have a combined SAR CCA letter drafted (template taken from your own case!). See below.

______

PART 1 - Data Protection Act disclosure request

PART 2 – Consumer Credit Act request

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT WITH YOUR COMPANY

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Bankruptcy Order No. xxxxxx

Your reference: xxxxxxxx

Please supply me with All my personal data you hold including a complete list of transactions and charges (or alternatively a set of statements) relating to my account history with your organization or any you are representing. I also require a complete Breakdown of each Late Payment fee and Over Limit fee charged to this account, or any similar related charges. The complete breakdown of each charge must contain the following:

Hourly rate of each member of staff involved with each administration of the fees / charges. The time each member of staff spent on the administration of the fees/charges. Details of the work carried out and completed by each member of staff involved with each administration of the fees/charges. Total cost of the paper, envelopes, ink, and postage of each automated and manually written letter relevant to the issuing of the fees/charges, and any other costs incurred in each fee/charge including other employee’s involvement, their hourly rate, time spent on the involvement, and what their involvement consisted of.

Additionally, where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff, or any other person or any that you represent, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you or any that you represent. If you are unable to supply this data because there has been no such manual intervention, then please be so kind as to confirm this in your response.

I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 40 days in which to comply. Furthermore, if I discover that you have levied disproportionate penalties against me, then I shall be reclaiming them, and also reclaiming the enclosed £10 Data Protection Act Subject access request fee.

Furthermore please provide me with a copy of my contracts with you and any company you represent, and a copy of my original terms and conditions. I make this request under the Data Protection Act 1984 and 1998, and including the right of subject access under these acts.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 section 78, I am entitled to receive a true SIGNED copy of any credit agreements and a statement of account on request . I enclose a payment of £1.00 which represents the fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

I understand a copy of any credit agreement along with a statement of account should be supplied within12 working days.

I further understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with the request for a copy of the agreement and statement of account under these sections of the Act.

Please note that the postal orders I have supplied are NOT to be applied to any alleged debt but used only for purposes supplied.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

Shall I send this to Lowell?

If it was me in your position then I would.....bereft of any disclosure ordered by a judge, you have to be seen to be making more than a reasonable attempt to gain information.

Ok, I will send it off today by Registered Post.

As a matter of update of events, I have also filed now a Form 7.1A in court requesting 1) Stay of proceedings and stay of advertisement and 2) Annulment of the bankruptcy order, on the following grounds:

For an order that (b)

The defendant is applying for 1) Stay of proceedings and stay of advertisement; 2) annulment of bankruptcy order upon the following reasons:

1. The defendant first became aware of any insolvency proceedings after the bankruptcy order had been made. The defendant received a thick package through the post on 17 December containing documentation from the Insolvency Service. This is the first time the defendant became aware that a bankruptcy petition and consequent order had been made against him.

2. The defendant and his family were away from home from 22/7/12 to 27/8/12. Please refer to emails attached for evidence.

3. The defendant did not receive the petition, or any other documents the claimant claims to have served by 1st Class Post and Recorded Delivery. There is no proof on court files of Recorded delivery postage.

4. The alleged creditor has not provided any notices of assignment. The defendant was only made aware that Lowell Portfolio Ltd. claim was for a Barclays account on inspecting copies of the statutory demand and the petition in the court files. In this respect, the defendant holds that the account number quoted on point 3. of the petition does not correspond to the account held by him with Barclays card.

5. Furthermore, the defendant was in communication with both Mercers Debt collection and Barclays card in October 2009 with respect of his account, where he offered a settlement agreement to which he received no reply. (Please refer to letters attached as evidence). No other communication was attempted by any company claiming this debt for a period of 3 years since.

6. The alleged creditor has provided no consumer credit agreement with the prescribed terms.

7. With respect of 3, 4, and 6 above, the defendant has requested to Barclays Bank plc (the alleged original creditor) the aforementioned documentation via Subject Access Request in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998, which he intends to use as further evidence to support this application. The request was sent via Recorded Delivery post on 21/12/12. The respondent has 40 days to comply.

It was quite hard to draft this (I put a lot down, then trimmed it off following meeting with a lawyer friend who advised not to overkill)... so posting this for anyone that might find it useful.

Have you organised an interview with the official receiver as yet ? You will probably have to do this, but they won't appoint a trustee until your annulment case is heard.....their costs may have to be paid too (but not necessarily by you) when you go for your interview, you should mention all the debts that are disputed, usually you have to put a big 'D' with a circle around it for all your disputed debts. If an annullment is granted then under what is known as the 'slip rule' you will go back and fight the case at petition stage. (if you win this then the statutory demand falls off too).

You should also state that if you had known about the petition then you would have defended it.