• Tweets

• Wait for more replies, but that letter to me can be interpreted as a letter before action. Ignoring it can have consequences. The court to impose sanctions for failure in responding to a letter of claim.
    • I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

joint tenancy deposit dispute

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4134 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello, i am in a joint periodic tenancy with another person who is the lead tenant on the deposit protection service record.

i gave 1 month notice to quit to the letting agency, however they refuse to deal with me and have responded to the lead tenant saying that i am liable for the rent until a new tenant is found to take my place, beyond my 1 month's notice obligation as these are the terms in the assured shorthold tenancy contract which lapsed and became a statutory periodic tenancy and such terms are no longer valid.

i foresee that they will withold my deposit for the 'due rent' and the lead tenant will agree to the deduction and not dispute the deposit deduction.

what will my recourse be then? must i sue the lead tenant, or the landlord? perhaps if i threaten the lead tenant now they will agree to put the deposit into dispute.

or i could send a letter to the landlord.

regardless, this sounds like it's about to get messy...

this is all down to the DPS not supporting joint tenancy deposits. if they had held my deposit separately, as they should have, there would be no problem. i would recommend another deposit protection agency than the DPS. their telephone support is great, but their claims system is a pain. i settled my last case with their adjudicator, they sided 75% with me, 25% with the landlord. i feel i should have received 80%-90%, i had the receipts to prove everything.

thanks for your advice

Edited by laike

Hi

Have you actually confirmed that the clause they state is in your AST?

Dont worry others will be along to advice so please be patient.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

to be precise, i have no record of their statement as they are dealing with the lead tenant only. it is the lead tenant who is telling me that i needed to provide 2 months notice instead of 1, which is apparently in the (now expired) AST. but apparently the agency is 'willing to overlook that so long as i cover the rent until the new tenant moves in', roughly translated.

i am however aware that periodic tenancy only requires 1 month notice as i pay rent monthly.

as it happens i don't even have a copy of the AST, we were only given 1 and the lead tenant has it. :(

Edited by laike

Hi

Could you please clarify this that the Lead Tenant and yourself signed a Joint Tenancy?

Do you actually have a copy of the Tenancy Agreement?

Do you have a copy on the Move In Inventory?

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Could you please clarify this that the Lead Tenant and yourself signed a Joint Tenancy?

Yes.

Do you actually have a copy of the Tenancy Agreement?

no. since it was a joint tenancy, they only gave us 1 copy and the lead tenant has it. i could search the house for it if absolutely required.

Do you have a copy on the Move In Inventory?

luckily the room was unfurnished. but no, i do not.

Hi

I would write to them (always get proof of posting and keep a good paper trail) and request a copy of the Tenancy Agreement, Move In Inventory, Tenancy Deposit Scheme as you were never provided with a copies of these documents.

Hi

I really need to see the first part of the tenancy i.e section 1.1 upto section 3.3 which is missing or you can just put up what section 1.43 states.

The reason I ask this is from what is in the tenancy so far the Lead Tenant on deals with the Deposit nothing to do with you teminating your tenancy or anything else but without that info hard to say if its wrong.

how is rent paid, do you pay direct to agent or to other tenant and he pays whole.

what is the split, 50/50? for rent and deposit? pressume you both signed the agreement!

IMO one month notice is correct, as it is now a PST.

this may help.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/renting_and_leasehold/joint_tenancies

"this is all down to the DPS not supporting joint tenancy deposits. if they had held my deposit separately, as they should have, there would be no problem."

No they shouldn't. The Deposit is held on behalf of the 'Tenant', a legal entity comprising of all joint Ts, in the name of the nominated Lead tenant as defined in the AST. LL selects which Approved Deposit Protection Scheme to use, not T.

Tenancy dposit cannot be released until the AST ends.

Did you and Lead T sign the AST at the same time? ie move in together or was a vacancy assigned to you?

Accepting your joint T is now SPT, then your sole NTQ would cancel the T for all on NTQ expiry, all T's should move out by that date. Did you discuss your intention to vacate with other T?

Student and similar lets, where only one T wishes to leave, use assignment of place as a way round this problem.

Assignment conditions are detailed in your AST.

LL is ultimately resp for T deposit, yet you have not contacted him over your wish to leave?

Your NTQ may be valid, in which case, an inspection should be undertaken, deposit deductions made and remainder of deposit would be returned to named Lead T and LL would be free to sign new AST, dated day after your NTQ expires, with anyone not wishing to vacate and require deposit from those signing the new AST.

If Lead T did not return your share of returned deposit, you would have to sue him in SCC.

Being a joint T should teach some how to 'get along' with others IMO

the AST was issued by an agent, I paid rent direct to agent for 60% of property, deposit split similarly. A vacancy was assigned to me, but there is no mention of it in the AST, standard 6 month contract terms.

this lapsed into SPT, my notice was given to agent, was that wrong??? The lead tenant knew I gave notice. I thought this ended the SPT, does it?

thanks for your help

so when you moved in a new contract/agreement was signed, by you and the existing tenant.

so the same can be done now; your notice should end the contract for both of you.

A new one will have to agreed with a new tenant or existing will have to take it on. ( if it was still an AST within the contract period, then it would different ).

when you leave at contract end claim deposit monies from scheme.

notice to agent should be sufficient if in writing/email.

thanks but I can't claim from deposit scheme, I'm not the lead tenant - only they can raise a dispute. Hence my original question, if they don't dispute my claim and settle w LL, who do I sue, LL?