Welcome Finance - Unlawful Repo?

Asbestross
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4117 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Evening all,

Looking for some advice on this one. Back in Aug 2006, I entered a HP agreement with Welcome Finance (stupid I know). Made contractual payments up until Sep 2007 at which point I had to leave the country for five months, during which time the care of the contract and car was left in a trusted friend. I paid money into their bank, they made the monthly payments (or so I thought) until my return in Feb 2008. Upon returning to the country, I found out that my friend had not made any payments, and in my absence Welcome had repossessed the car (from private land that it was parked on). I was obviously severely annoyed at the time, called Welcome who was extremely unhelpful but assured that was the end of it, the contract was terminated and I had no remaining liability....

How naive I was to believe them.

Last week I had an account entered on my credit file by MKDP LLP, showing a default in January 2010. Immediately queried this obviously, and have been sent details of my original welcome agreement stating that I had an outstanding liability as the car sold for less than its value.

Looking at the contract, this shows that if I have paid more than 1/3 of the value of the contract, they are not lawfully allowed to repossess the car, and if they do without a court order I can reclaim all monies paid into said contract. I advised Welcome of this, but now they are claiming that 'I voluntarily terminated and a letter was sent advising of this'. I hadnt sent any such letter, and the date they quoted for the letter was when I was out of the country, so have sent a SAR to them for copies (am fully expecting a forged letter in all honesty).

If they cannot provide a copy, then obviously i'll give them a chance to pay up before an N1 is filed.

Can anybody offer any advice as to the next steps, if it does come back clearly a forged document, what are my options?

Also interesting to note that the value they are claiming to be still outstanding, is less than half the value of the mis-sold PPI on the contract.

Cheers

Did you get Welcome's response in writing about the 'volutary termination' ? It will be interesting to see how they respond in the SAR. I think your options are to either take it to the FOS or take it to court. - you may also find this thread interesting - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?170345-A-Tale-of-a-Dodgy-DN