thebuggersmoved

Tenant (debtor) has moved

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2431 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

We are still getting debt collection letters for a past tenant who moved from our property 3 years ago (in February 2013).

Our current tenant has faced bailiffs at the door, letters from the VAT man, letters from debt collection agencies relating to other properties, though we are unsure if these are from before or after the year he was our tenant. The latest letter (dated 3rd dec 2012) is classic; we rang and were told we are not allowed to open his mail (not true as I understand we are 'under threat'), yet the final sentence of the letter says "If you do not contact us we will assume that you are the correct person and we will contact you again in order that we can get the matter resolved". Laughable if it wasn't serious.

So we have three questions:

1. what should / can we say to get these people to desist?

2. is there any way we can stop this altogether? - an agency of some sort?

3. Are we legally allowed to open his mail?

Finally, I have not posted his name, in case the law favours him and his actions over us, though feel very tempted. I would be grateful for guidance regarding this also.

Thanks for any help / advice

TheBuggersMoved

I laughed when a tin pot DCA told me it was illegal to open someone elses mail, told them that they are in no position to tell me what is and isn't legal.

I routinely open all mail that comes through my door, after all I live here, if you had just moved in then granted for the first few months I would check the addressee, but after 3 years it is safe to say your doing no wrong.

In future open them, then reseal them and send em back RTS not known at this address, after all, I would want to know what I might be opening the door too.

Stay OFF the phone, don't do their slimy work for them, let them continue wasting their valuable money sending irrelevant laughable fake threat letters, just RTS not known at this address, and ignore them, if they persist, then you should look at reporting them for the criminal offence of harassment. Lodge a formal complaint to the OFT&TS.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Is it the same creditor continuously sending letters or multiple ones?

As the debtor is liable for the debt and not the property neither you nor your tennant have nothing to worry about. Informing the creditors that their debtor is no longer at the address should stop them trying to contact him there.

Send the letters (unopened) back saying no longer at this address

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.

DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation

IF WE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE A DONATION TO HELP US TO CONTINUE HELPING YOU

I AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE PM's AND I WILL RESPOND IF I FEEL I CAN ASSIST BUT WHEN YOU DO CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COMMENT - THANK YOU

IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.

Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

I had almost exactly the same. I ignored the first letter then opened the second one, phoned them up to get some Asian bird telling me it was illegal to open someone else's post. Stupid thing was it was for a water bill from another property about 3 years ago and this woman has been left the place i live for at least 10 years.

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Send the letters (unopened) back saying no longer at this address

Yes, I agree. Please don't open them. I know how annoying it is to arrive at an address after a dodgy tenant (from painful personal experience!), but it is a criminal offence to open or otherwise interfere with mail addressed to someone else. Just stick it back in the post with "Not at this address" written across it.

The postie at my last place actually used to pick up the mail for the previous tenant/s and take it back to the depot to be posted back to the sender, but maybe I just had a nice postie. :)

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops: