style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2496 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Right hopefully I can get some good advice here, I really am genuinely worried and struggling to know what to do.

I bought a house in 1995, I at some point (no recorded letters or correspondence) asked for a gas meter as there was a supply into the house but no meter.

A meter was installed at exactly the same time the plumber was finishing the heating instalation, the transco man and the plumber got me connected up and running and commisioned the heating.

I know this sounds igronant but at the time i was working on a building site were there were plumbers, this guy quoted and installed my system for cash, i believe the new boiler he supplied was aquired from the company he worked with.

Basically i started using the system for heating and water, it wasnt until possibly 10 months later i realised i had not recieved a gas bill, firstly because it seemed good and in advancing years because i became frightened i did not pursue a gas bill, here we are in 2012 and i am selling the house, I really do not know what to do for the best.

the documents that i am filling in for the solicitor are only generic about house utilities, furnishings being left, etc...the moral part of me is wanting to do something about the situation, but i do not no what, I gather by reading posts most people seem to have a nominated shipper but no bill, i havent a shipper so dont know who to talk to...

I know this sounds decitful, but if i just left the property and the new owner nominated a shipper what would happen.

I suppose i am prepared to pay for the gas used but keep thinking, well whose gas have i used.

Please please help me with this..I dont want to sound dramatic but with the stress of this i am feeling unwell..thankou

Welcome Russell. I've moved your thread to the Utilities section where you will get more help.

well the first thing you should know is that they can only claim for the last twelve months of use; maximum, thats in the energy retail code.

first off try transco they own the line and I pressume the meter at the moment, to find out who it is registered with. ( get meter no. and qoute that )

then if no record, then contact a supplier and get connected and your first bill!

Free gas for 17 years wow!!

I have looked at the energy retail code guide to backbilling (see link)

I cannot really see the answer to my scenario.

What I really belive is that when the meter was fitted the transco fitter should not of allowed for gas to be used until i contacted a shipper, although back in 95 i am not sure what the situation was with different companies offering supply,

Again this is peraps naive but nobody explained that i needed to do anything at the time to get a gas bill, there certainly wasnt any awareness of MPAN numbers and the like. to be honest i cannot even verify that the meter installed started at Zero..yes i think it was a new meter.. I possibly signed something.. i really dont know.

Any more advice welcome

energy-uk.org.uk/publication/finish/43-code-of-practice-for-accurate-bills/412-the-code-of-practice-for-accurate-bills-back-billing-for-domestic-customers.html

The first thing you need to do is to get the meter serial number.

Secondly contact the supplier for your area and ask them if the meter has been registered.

If they cannot give you any info because you are not registered with them,

do not agree to supply with them, contact Transco.

They should be able to tell you who is supplying the gas.

Also it woudl eb worth your while tos ee who is offering the best deal on gas supply in your area by contacting one of the comparison sites and opt for that supplier.

Sometimes meters are installed but not registered to a supplier.

Transco is not a supplier, but a distributor.

This can create problems and a large bill depending on how they go about it.

Technically they cannot charge you for gas if the supply is not registered to any supplier, but again this creates issues so suggest a nominal amount.

One way to do this is for example to take a reading at 8am and then the next day at 8am.

This reading multiply 30 and then multiply by 4 months should give you your approximate winter's usage.

Then switched off the heating for the same period and take readings.

Multiply this by 8 months.

Add the two together and divide by 12 to get average monthly use.

This will give you approximate usage and is what the industry would use.

Get the figure and knock off 50% for the inconvenience and hassle and they will probably accept it as going to court they would be on very shaky ground and they know it.

As said you will have to do something to get it sorted, so speak to transco with meter no and see where you go from there.