clemma

Going a bit crazy....

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2495 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

My other half owes just under £3000 arrears and the CSA just refuse any offer of repayment. They slapped a liability order on him in May. They just won't agree to a repayment plan we can afford. He is on a low income and, despite claiming tax credits, we have very little to live on each month. We are not entitled to help with rent and council tax. By the time we pay full rent, c.tax and just essential utility bills we are left with £100 a week. This has to buy food, fuel (my oh needs a car to get to work as there is no public transport) and buy essentials for our 16 month old son. Obviously the CSA don't care about such trivial matters.

Today a letter comes through threatening court action to commit him to prison and disqualify him from driving. To say I am terrified does not come close to how I feel. If he loses his licence, he loses his job. If he goes to prison, he'll lose his job. Has anyone been in this situation? What did you do? Or, what should he do now? We cannot afford a solicitor.

Yes, he should have paid. I am not looking for punishment, just advice so please be gentle.....

:)I am not an expert, but I can give good advice about Brighthouse:)

Am learning more and more about DCA's too :)

I have no legal experience and all advice given is based on the knowledge I've gained from this site.

<------If you think I have been helpful, please feel free to tip my scales - remember to put your CAG name though!

I should add that he currently pays £27 a week CSA (not arrears).

I have no legal experience and all advice given is based on the knowledge I've gained from this site.

<------If you think I have been helpful, please feel free to tip my scales - remember to put your CAG name though!

Best advice I can give is to go to the CAB. Also most solicitors offer 1/2 free consultation and there is legal aid if you are on a low income

Not entitled to legal aid and can't get an appointment at CAB until the end of January. Will see if I can get him an appointment with solicitor but that is likely to be the new year.

The CSA were sneaky. He was paying the arrears off until he lost his job in Feb 10. He had to pay a small amount out of his JSA but he stopped getting benefits in Aug 10. He wasn't entitled to any as I was working. He informed the CSA - I was under no obligation to make the payments for him and he had no income.

The slapped the liability order on him despite him having no means of paying anything! By the time he started working again the liability order was in force and this is where our problems began.

Edited by clemma

Thats pretty much how the CSA work I'm afraid. My ex husband found out he was in arrears despite paying each month as they had decided the amount he had to pay had increased but not told him! He also had to pay it in one lump sum or be threatened with court etc.

I would write to the CSA saying you are seeking legal advice and see what they say

He has always written to them, it's something you learn from CAG. They just dont take any notice. I wish we could raise £3000 but it's just not possible. I feel like walking away to be honest. Our son comes first, something the CSA don't care about. I cannot have him going without. All children are equal....until the CSA get involved. It really annoys me.