BankFodder

Is there data sharing between Excel and VCS ... and is it lawful?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2494 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

A COUNCIL has slammed town centre car park operators for refusing to refund ‘unfair’ tickets.

Hyndburn Council, and the borough’s MP intervened after hundreds of tickets were issued on Accrington’s Eastgate car park.

The tickets were issued when time limits were changed from three hours to ninety minutes.

Shoppers, who fell foul of automatic camera fines sent to their homes, said the new signs were on the car park’s periphery, hidden by trees.

Following a campaign by local politicians, Excel Parking agreed to Hyndburn Council’s campaign to cancel unpaid tickets.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/hyndburn/10110170.Firm_refuses_to_refund_tickets_to_Hyndburn_residents/

Though the monies were collected by Excel, they claim all the information relating to the notices is held by VCS.

Lawfulness of the data held? The ICO allow such data sharing unless it is brought to their attention that there is wrongdoing in the handling of that data and that wil be difficult. The people out of pocket would be better off complaining to VCS and demanding their money back for misrepresentation.

1. Notice before Action, Small Claims Court. Add the cost of issuing the small claim. They'll pay up.

2. Report the Data sharing to the DVLA and the ICO.

To get these monies back you'll probably have to take them to court. See the case I took to court against vcs and won. Just google .(VCS v Ron Ibbotson).It's an experience and one gets a smug satisfaction from kicking their backsides!!:-)

I regard this story as 'interesting'. This "Hyndburn Council said Excel Parking had refused to refund, because tickets had been paid to a secondary company. " added to the fact of Excel's suspension from DVLA access could add up to Excel using VCS to get around the ban from the DVLA. I know that DVLA did put things in place to monitor volumes from VCS in case his kind of thing happened. The DVLA data sharing team should be informed, and in writing. I hazard that the accounting and bookkeeping may have been massaged. If this is a ruse to bypass the DVLA ban then the DVLA may well get it's dander up and open the whole can of worms. If that is the case let us hope that they do.

I note from his web page the local MP and the NMAG are asking the exact same questions. Now,when spoke to the ICO earlier on today they were probably unaware of the ban the DVLA has placed on Excel and I would like to know if that would make a difference to what they will and wont investigate. However, the DVLA should also come clean and say how many details have been extracted by VCS.

There was a case last year where some cowbiy clampers in Portsmouth were jailed but their company sold on the details to debt Recovery Plus. did the ICO ever take action against DR+

The "secondary company" (VCS) is wholly owned by Excel but VCS is a different legal entity. Monies can flow between the two companies of course however it must enter the accounts correctly first. How was the money "paid to the secondary company" ?. Were cheques made out to Excel or did Excel pay cheques made out to themselves into VCS's account ? Did the paperwork from Excel say "Pay the money to VCS" ? These questions although fundamental remain rhetorical unless or until we have sight of the facts. One has to wonder if the reach of this forum and its members extends to being able to contact a payor. If it does then this could escalate into being 'very interesting'.