style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2495 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello

I hope you can help. I have just purchased my first house after renting for 2 years :-). as you may know this is an expensive task and after looking after our former property to the best of our ability the estate agent wants to dock a substantial amount from our deposit for cleaning services. My Parents went to the house wich is a very small 1 bedroom cottage, more like a flat that was built in the 1800 to clean the place ready for inspection as were were decorating the new house they spent 5 hours cleaning and even cleaned the gutters and the stone cobbles to the front and rear of the property. However this isnt good enough and they now want £120 for a cleaner to come in and £50 for the carpet cleaner of our £680 deposit.

Below is the list of items they claim need rectifying as you can see these are not really massive issue and I think they are trying to rip me off. or is it me who is being silly ? should I take the money and run?

From Estate Agent

"Although I can see that certain areas of the cottage are cleaner there are still areas that require attention and these are listed below:

Lounge – the stove needs cleaning out. Cobwebs removing from beams. . Paint on curtain pole.

Kitchen – The floor requires cleaning and inside the cupboards are still dirty/dusty. The glass tray to the oven is still very greasy. Paint on kitchen unit by oven.

Bedroom – The carpet requires hoovering, particularly under the bed. I understand that the carpet was going to be cleaned but it doesn’t appear as if this has been done. There are still spillage marks particularly by the entrance to the bathroom. The washing machine leaked which was next to the entrance

Bathroom – still requires a general clean.

Outside store - X-mas decorations require disposing of. :???:

Property cleanliness is very subjective.

Did LA do move in inspection at start?

Did he provide you with a copy?

LL/LA cannot charge for fair wear & tear, many Ts forget to clean cooker at end (a main cause of complaint for incoming Ts), cobwebs on beams etc may indicate lack of routine dusting/hoovering during T

If Xmas decorations were not there at start of T ie are yours,, they needed removing at end of T.

If deposit was taken & protected with DPS, then put the disputed amount (£170?) in dispute for adjud by ADR scheme.

Uncontentested amount should be paid to you within ~14 days. LL may not agree to DPS, in which case you send him a Letter before Action for return of amount you think reasonable, if not forthcoming your only recourse is SCC claim, when LL will have to justify deductions as reasonable, with evidence.

LL is entitled to charge commercial rates for cleaning & eqpt hire, so ring round and determine cost of domestic cleaner & carpet washer for 1 day.

by the way, it is up to you to claim deposit back from deposit scheme; do that straight away to get things moving.