Serious breach of DPA 1998 with regards to 'sensitive information'

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4140 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey there

I am a 22 year old art student. I recently stayed at a Ramada hotel and the young man that checked me in later took my details and contacted me. His reason for contact was nothing to do with my stay and was infact to tell me i am attractive!! I found this totally unacceptable and scary as i dont know what he is capable of..he could have my address. I have changed my telephone number.

I have wrote to the hotel manager and the boy has been dismissed. They have offered £200 a to say sorry. I dont agree that this is good enough.

I know this is breach of dpa as he took my details without my permission, but not sure how serious this is? And how seriously it will be taken if i wanted to take things further.

Please can you help me with what i should reply to thier offer??

Hi

You should really start your own thread as this is someone elses thread

Yes what has happened to you is a breach of the DPA and you should report this to the Information Commissioners Office: www.ico.gov.uk/

Also have you accepted their offer of £200?

I will ask the site team if they can move this to your own thread.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

done

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

@ dx100uk Many Thanks

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Ramada have done the right thing in dismissing the person concerned, however, as Stu has said, contact the ICO if you want to raise it further.

Out of curiosity, who did you report the matter to at Ramada?

Still on the lookout for buried treasure!

Any advice I give here is based on my own experiences throughout my life, career and training and should not be taken as accurate. If in doubt, speak to someone more qualified - a Solicitor, Citizens Advice to name but two possible avenues!

Ramada have done the right thing in dismissing the person concerned, however, as Stu has said, contact the ICO if you want to raise it further.

Out of curiosity, who did you report the matter to at Ramada?

Ironically they seem to have breached the DPA again by telling you the 'boy' as you call him has been dismissed.

£200 seems reasonable to me. Maybe push them for more if money is your motivation, put it behind you an move on.

Whoa

Called attractive and you got £200 for Chrimbo

That's a result.

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

To some this may be a laughing matter when it actually very serious. The person has access to OP details and knows where she lives and has contact numbers. As he has lost his job, he may try and contact OP again, but possibly being abusive. This could be very stressful for OP as there is possibility of him moving it up a stage and revert to stalking or more serious issues. OP may need to change contact numbers and address to avoid this person. This will cost a lot more than £200 so not really a Xmas present.

Although this scenario has not happened to me, a similar thing happened to a good friend and placed his marriage in jeopardy just because he was kind hearted and genuine person. He had to get the police involved at the end of the day.

To some this may be a laughing matter when it actually very serious. The person has access to OP details and knows where she lives and has contact numbers. As he has lost his job, he may try and contact OP again, but possibly being abusive. This could be very stressful for OP as there is possibility of him moving it up a stage and revert to stalking or more serious issues. OP may need to change contact numbers and address to avoid this person. This will cost a lot more than £200 so not really a Xmas present.

Although this scenario has not happened to me, a similar thing happened to a good friend and placed his marriage in jeopardy just because he was kind hearted and genuine person. He had to get the police involved at the end of the day.

Or........he might just have made a silly mistake. He paid for his mistake with his job. We were all young once and maybe he didn't mean any harm. It doesn't make him a serial killer.

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

Yes he did wrong but he has been punished by loosing his job, unless he has done anything else I would say, he made a mistake has paid for it and I can see no reason for attempting to take any furher action. If the person wanted to do anything else he already has the phone number and address of the OP, and taking any further action wont change that.

Did you give him your details seperatly to the normal check in card?

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Or........he might just have made a silly mistake. He paid for his mistake with his job. We were all young once and maybe he didn't mean any harm. It doesn't make him a serial killer.

I agree entirely. Its a silly mistake made by a young man. We live in a society where men are expected to approach women, this really isn't different to being approached in a bar or by a work colleague.

It is very unlikely that he is a "stalker". If someone wants to stalk you they can follow you home from a night out. Similarly a bank employee could get your address. You are at no greater risk of being stalked than you were before. Don't be paranoid about this: if everyone took the attitude that "you don't know what he is capable of" with noone would get to know anyone.

In my view £200 is more than generous. If I was the manager you would get an apology but nothing more.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS