nkotecha

Advice needed - Car only 4 days old

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2497 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi Forum

Little lost therefore reaching out for advice.

I bought a car from a Large Trader 4 days ago after being approved for Finance from external source.Today is the 4th day and the BRAKE warning light has come on.

Now, the car is only 2 years old - SO NO MOT, however, doing some ringing to the dealer who serviced it last told me that the previous owner was advised about the Brake Pads and Discs at last service 5000 miles ago. So here is the Dilemma, did the Trader withhold that crucial information OR was it not passed to him Surely a car should be checked if it is roadworthy and safe before you retail the car.

The question is where do I stand, I still have 14 days to cancel my agreement.

I have tried to call the dealer, who said he was going to look into it but has not come back and will now not answer my calls. I have mad the Finance company aware but again nio luck

Really need Steer and Advice

Hi and welcome to CAG.

First of all, the title of the thread is slightly miss-leading as it suggests the car is brand new. Mind you, that will no doubt attract more interest as we don't get many brand new car issues.

So you are suggesting that the seller knew that the pads and discs were advised to be changed 5k miles ago but havn't been? If that is the case, inform the seller of your findings and ask him to sort it out as he is obliged to do just that at no expense to you.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 the car must be fit for purpose if not then the dealer is reponsible for fixing it so that it is fit for purpose. Obviously the car needs working brakes so this is an issue the dealer needs to address. Try calling off a different number. If the dealer still isn't answering your calls visit him.

What did your finance company say? They will normally ask you to get the dealer to show his hand first before they act. If the dealer isn't helpful the finance company will fight your corner for you.

The brake warning light on the dashboard (If it's RED), means the fluid is low. This could be because the pads are very low and a lot of the fluid has gone through the system into the pistons and wheel cylinders. Brake pads are one of those things that should be checked (My main dealer insists that anything below 35% is time to change) so I'd be asking for a set of pads free of charge.

If not and he kicks up a fuss where you'll end up being inconvenienced, I'd just get them changed myself. Pads are £50 fitted in a lot of cases...

Just my opinion. Obviously, if it turns out to be a more serious fault such as a leak or faulty wheel cylinders, then I'd go the whole hog.

doing some ringing to the dealer who serviced it last told me that the previous owner was advised about the Brake Pads and Discs at last service 5000 miles ago.

How many miles has the car done in it's full 2 years? Needing to change the pads regularly is normal, mine only last about 18,000miles (but it is a learner car so we're a bit heavy on brake pads :) ), but I would be surprised if the disks needed changing at 2 years (even I don't need to do them that often!)

You probably could take it for a part MOT at a registered MOT centre and aask them to give you a report on the brakes if you have an issue with the dealer refusing to repair the brakes.

You probably could take it for a part MOT at a registered MOT centre and aask them to give you a report on the brakes if you have an issue with the dealer refusing to repair the brakes.

Which might also show that one connector to a solitary brake pad may have corrosion on it, leading to a warning light on the dashboard.