style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2473 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I've been renting a house in Birmingham for under 6 months with no written contract and wish to leave the house.

The tenancy has been somewhat plagued by problems - the landlord originally saying that a sofa was included with the room but this never materialising despite asking, the chest of drawers being in a state of 'repair' for the last three months and by repair I mean he took them apart but never bothered to put them back together, the TV connection in the room never being fixed are specific issues to my room but general issues with the house have been had by all seven of us from moving in.

Having no written contract and no verbal agreement as to how much notice is required I have given him two weeks notice that I will be moving out by the end of December and wish to have my deposit returned, he is stating that I need to give a months notice.

What is the best way to proceed with this?

Thanks,

Lissy

For that matter it has just been pointed out to me that I should be aware of where my deposit is being held; this has never been given to me and other such details.

Apologies, I probably sound naive as heck but it's my first tenant agreement so kind of didn't really know the ins and outs of what was I had the right to request, and it never even occurred to me at the time!

Moved to Residential lettings

You say you are renting a house. Do you mean whole property, jointly with others; or room-only with communal facilities? Does the LL live in same property? How much was deposit? When did you pay it?

Are you a student? When did tenancy commence (actual date)?

You cannot quit during fixed term, LL could accept your offer of surrender with some conditions eg find a suitable replacement, pay me £x. If he is happy to release you with 1 month Notice only, that is a good deaL as a verbal Contract does exist and is enforceable for whole of fixed term.