Carers of disabled adults and benefit cap

Nystagmite
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4119 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I lost my tribunal today - there seemed to be a lot of assumptions and quite frankly, ridiculous suggestions. I have clearly demonstrated that I need care frequently - they've agreed; but claim I don't meet the criteria for mid rate care - yI know I do meet the criteria. Their arguments were:

Me: "I wander off if I'm out"

Them: You've got a tongue in your head, haven't you? Can't you ask people?

Er, there's an assumption that someone is around to ask and that a) they can show me (you can't just tell me - I will still wander off) and b) understand me when I'm talking (Some people can't. A friends wife can't understand me at all - I once went to talk to her and then had to get him to speak to her)

Me: "I trip over the dog"

Them: "Oh, we all do that. Can't you put them outside?"

Well, no. Mum works nights (therefore, sleeping during day time) and they'll just bark. It's not exactly fair on them, is it?

Me: "I struggle with shaving and am allergic to wax"

Them: You could always use an electric shaver"

Funnily enough, I've tried that and I can't shave close enough. Doesn't solve the issue of leaving lines of hair everywhere.

Now, I've either got to appeal to the upper tier or do a new claim or both. I really don't have the energy to do this.

I have demonstrated that I do meet the criteria for mid care; yet, they've decided I don't. Or do you have to be unable to do anything for yourself to get mid care? They agree that I can't cook a meal (or could; but burn myself or the food) and that I need help during the day amounting to a few hours - why isn't that enough?

• 4 months later...

Dad currently receives SSP and will be off for work a few more weeks (they estimate 2-3 weeks). Mum works full time and the majority of her money goes on the mortgage. So, they're basically living off SSP between the both of them. I receive JSA and DLA LRM & LRC. Brother receives benefits; although, not sure which.

Are they entitled to any help at all?

• 6 months later...

I am not 100% of the law regarding the area I volunteer in. I volunteer in a charity shop and many of the volunteers are retired and /or disabled.

I vomited earlier. I have a slight headache; but feel fine otherwise. There was a lad who came in and got sent home due to throwing up. However, I am not sure if he was sick that morning.

I will phone in tomorrow and ask for a definitive answer from my boss. I am just wondering what others think?

Thank you

I am not 100% of the law regarding the area I volunteer in. I volunteer in a charity shop and many of the volunteers are retired and /or disabled.

I vomited earlier. I have a slight headache; but feel fine otherwise. There was a lad who came in and got sent home due to throwing up. However, I am not sure if he was sick that morning.

I will phone in tomorrow and ask for a definitive answer from my boss. I am just wondering what others think?

Thank you

Decide in the morning..

Entirely up to you. Depends on the cause and whether it could be contagious, or whether you work with food.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

How many times have you vomited? Do you get migraine at all?

I would say a one-off episode is nothing to worry about. Sleep on it and see how you feel in the morning. If you've kept food & drinks down since the vomiting then it sounds like nothing serious.

"In this situation, you know what you have to do? Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming." Dory - Finding Nemo.:wink:

• 1 month later...

I had some eye tests done yesterday. The vision in my right eye is slowly becoming worse. It seems to have settled down a bit in my left eye. I am also colourblind; which seems to be getting worse. At first it was a few colours; now it seems to be many.

I started volunteering in a charity shop in May 2011. When I started, the job centre informed the manager of my sight impairment and I had no problems there.

In September 2011, we had new tills. These took some getting used and after a while, I managed. I had a minor problem; but was able to ask for bit of help.

I am now struggling a lot and have made one or two mistakes in the last week.:-(

Can Access to Work help me? Or is it only for people in paid work? I will discuss my issues with the manager tomorrow. I have a feeling that if Access to Work can't help, I may have to leave and find something more suitable. :(

I have spoke to my manager. He thinks there is some form of help out there. He said I need to speak to the assistant manager. She's blind in one eye; so would probably understand my issues more than what he does.

• 2 months later...