Housing Benefit overpayment

Yarrakid
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4090 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have just received from my local council a overpayment Invoice for £1267.52. I am mystrified to why since I was on Income Support/JSA until I commenced work in 2008. I informed all concerned about this and all seemed well until now.

I see how they can make this decision 4 years down the line, and demand this from me. I have tried to contact them via the conatct call centre and the local council offices, which the first I may no contact as I was hung up on or left on hold for ages, and the people in the office simply stated they cant help you have to go through the call centre, which I pointed out they are not helping..

Can they do this this far down the line ?, I know about the Statues Barred etc.. but this would not apply to this, where do I go with this? , as I have had these supposed council guys at my door before and about repoing my car as I had not paid my fine, which I had but in a payment plan which they didnt even look up until I showed them and they looked on their system and confirmed it, they said they could take what they wanted with out court orders etc.. ?, is that true they are above the law in this respect ?, I have my doubts but I am worried that this may again happen ?. So any advise please would I would be most grateful.

Regards

Appeal the decision straight away, and ask that collection be held until after the appeal decision. Then you need to find out why you have the overpayment. If you're having no success on the phone, you can write asking for a written explanation of the decision. I would also SAR them for everything pertaining to your claims for hb/ctb.

Is the letter you've received the actual overpayment decision letter?

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Hi Estellyn.

Thank you for your reply, the only thing I have from the Local Council is a customer invoice remainder and have 7 days in which to repay the full amount from the date on the letter which was written on the 11th of this month. I received it yesterday - Saturday 15th. not much time left which i guess is their aim to panic people into paying, which I don't have that much to spare,

Simon

Hi Estellyn.

Thank you for your reply, the only thing I have from the Local Council is a customer invoice remainder and have 7 days in which to repay the full amount from the date on the letter which was written on the 11th of this month. I received it yesterday - Saturday 15th. not much time left which i guess is their aim to panic people into paying, which I don't have that much to spare,

Simon

Then in that case you also need to find out when the original decision letter was sent and where to (as you didn't receive it). There is an absolute time limit of 13 months from the date of the original overpayment decision for appeals to be made.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I'm having a similar problem and have gone to Appeal with it - hearing is this Friday. Beware. They will insist you show Counter Receipts from the times you went in with the documents they required i.e. bank statements etc. I can't find my receipts although I know I went in several times with the same information after my husband died last year. They will and do exploit any vulnerability as I've found out. Getting help to sort out the mess is another problem. Our local CAB/Advice Point have been as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike, in other words, useless.

Believe me, the benefits office, rather than admit they've made an error will do their best to exploit any vulnerability you may have had - like I had just lost my husband and they took advantage of the fact I was in a state of shock last year. Even our housing officer acknowledges that (she, is the only one who has really tried very hard to help).

• 5 weeks later...

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D