Gay_guy1986

Work Programme (discrimination)

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2495 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hey all,

Just looking for some advice regarding this issue, first of all let me say that I am not causing for a argument. now what it is I wear this slogan tshirt at the work programme (NOBODY KNOWS I'M GAY) but a few weeks ago I got told to remove the tshirt as one of the advicers said that its not setting a good example of getting me back into work, was she correct? how on earth has that got to do looking for work? everyone can wear what they want but I feel its discrimination. do any of you agree?

I will not wear the tshirt at interviews obviously but I should be allowed what to wear when I am not at interviews!

Just looking to see if you agree with my advicer if you felt she was right or wrong? if she is wrong could I go to citizen advice about this issue?

Thanks

Regards

Shaun

Edited by Gay_guy1986
mistake

I would have thought it would depend on context. I have no idea what, if any, dress code exists on the work programme or whether your t-shirt was either suitable attire or in a suitable state. Why has it taken you a 'few months' to get around to the possibility it might not have been a reasonable request?

I would have thought it would depend on context. I have no idea what, if any, dress code exists on the work programme or whether your t-shirt was either suitable attire or in a suitable state. Why has it taken you a 'few months' to get around to the possibility it might not have been a reasonable request?

Hi,

There is no dress code, people can wear what they want but I got told to remove it and oh btw I meant a few weeks ago not months :wink:

Fair enough. Assuming the slogan was text only, not accompanied by an x rated pictogram, and nobody else was advised to change their clothing then I'd be inclined to make a written complaint and see what they say. Maybe they don't understand irony and thought you were being anti-gay ... :razz:

I'd be tempted to wear a shirt that reads "Everyone knows I'm straight" and see what happens :wink:

OK, seriously, yeah, I'd complain in writing to the manager of your WP office and see what their response is. It may or may not be discrimination, but at the very least it sounds like an overreach of the adviser's authority.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Yes I suppose you can wear what you like but although you are not at an interview or at work I would say you are still supposed to look and act in a professional way whan at the work program, and a T shirt with a slogan on is hardly that.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

i would have said to her "do i tell you what to wear?" answer: no!

freedom of choice, if what you wear offends her then she should seriously look for another job..she is there to 'help' people find work NOT to dictate what they wear.

I think some people are

"Making a mountain out of a molehill"

Just for the sake of it and worrying too much about nothing !

My thoughts exactly!

hhmm just to add my tuppence here.

It's the same as JCP attendance if you attend for unterviews and/or signing s your adviser could actually call an employer and arrange an immediate job interview for you.

People can be asked to return home and dressmore appropraiately e.g in hot weather we do not acceot people tunrning up bare chested or in some girls cases it teeniest bikini tops and skimpiest hotpants!