rattyjunk

PayPal Clarification

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2494 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I'm based in the UK and looking at having a PC built by a american company. I've had several chats with the owner and we have come up with a list of components I want. He then sent me a itemised invoice/quote for me to look over before I give the go ahead for the project. He'll then send an paypal invoice and that will start the ball rolling.

I know paypal offer protection for bad transactions and also there is section 75 for some credit cards and chargeback for others.

I wanted to check if these paragraphs from the which consumer website still hold true??

***If you're making a card purchase through PayPal it's best to empty your PayPal account regularly so there is no credit balance.

That way, when you make a card purchase through PayPal, the same amount will be debited from your bank account or credit card as goes immediately to the seller. ****

I wanted to ask if there are any extra steps I need to consider to protect myself from possible fraud, or do you think I'm pretty much covered?

Thanks

The Which? recommendations are probably the best you can do - but I have to ask, why are you getting it built in the States?

You will have no consumer protection, no way of getting back at him if it goes wrong, no guarantee, have you considered the customs bill and the VAT?

If you really want a custom built PC, you can get everything you need in UK and build it yourself very easily or get it made for you if you really want.

What's the spec?

What's the quoted cost?

I can get a system from the UK yes and even build one myself but this is a custom system, set up a unique way for Home entertainment and there is nowhere in the UK that offers what I want in this regard.

So what you are saying is that charge back and the Paypal Protection won't help me if the transaction goes pear shaped??

I was under the impression charge back could be applied to overseas transactions as well as in the UK and that Pay Pal usually are pretty good if sellers are dishonest??

You are asking about some specific provision which may be contained in the Paypal contract. I'm afraid that I don't know enough about the Paypal contract to form an opinion.

I'm just giving you a heads up on your consumer rights in UK law.

Why don't you start off by calling Paypal and asking them - but make sure that you record the call.

I thought that the Paypal protection only applied to eBay purchases - but of course I could be wrong.

Yes I guess that should be the first place to go, considering it is a pay pal specific question. Thank you for the heads up concerning UK consumer law.

Dont know about fraud, but what if something goes wrong with it, you acnt excatly get your money back or get it fixed quickly!

Also Customs and exise will sting you when imported! and what if it is damaged in transit? big problems with how thats sorted.

Plenty of good local computer set ups that could do the same here!!