questioning

28 day guarantee to have surgey after appointment for surgery is cancelled on the day for non clinical reasons

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2479 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I've had my surgery cancelled on the day i was due to have surgery with the reason of "no beds", it seems as if i may not get the surgery within the 28 day guarantee as the hospital shuts down for surgery for two wks over xmas apart from emergencies,

Does anyone know anything about this 28 day guarantee ?

This is basically what it says.......

If your operation is cancelled by the hospital at the last minute (on or after the day of admission, including the day of surgery) for non-clinical reasons, the hospital will have to offer another binding date within a maximum of the next 28 days or fund your treatment at the time and hospital of your choice.

the 28 days for me is up beginning of january, although i would really rather not use NHS funds to pay for my surgery to be done privately i have no choice, i am on sick leave at the moment due to needing surgery and this sick benefit is running out.

Does anyone have any experiences relating to this post, if so i would love to hear from you.

Edited by questioning

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone. People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms. As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands; one for helping yourself, and the other for helping others. :)

I think that the way to concentrate their minds is to write to them, confirm what they have told you, express disappointment and tell them that you intend to enforce their guarantee and that you are looking at alternative venues. Please will they let you know the process for enforcing the guarantee and can they let you have any applicable application forms and documentation.

That might chivvy them up a bit.

thanks for the quick reply,

thats an easy thing to do,

I have been looking for info on how one would force the procedure but can't seem to find anything.

I have even found documents detailing how they (the hospital staff) should file cancelled appointments, what code they should use, flow charts to follow etc. but funnily enough I can find nothing much about the process which would help the cancelled patient.

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone. People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms. As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands; one for helping yourself, and the other for helping others. :)

The other thing you could do is to start sending them FOI requests so that you can find out more about it.

If you get anything interesting, post it here but also contact your local press. Hospitals hate that.

sorry what does FOI mean?

I wondered if contacting the consultants secretary would help too.

I have read where other people have had surgery cancelled but they later found out that the info held about them actually said that they cancelled it which was utter lies as the hospital cancelled.

Thinking out loud ... i will telephone consultants secretary first thing monday to make sure they have the correct facts, rather than sitting here and hoping they have.

Thanks Bankfodder

Edited by questioning

Definitely phone the consultant's secretary, but speak to your g.p again too. from what you've said about him, he'll get on the phone to her too, and it never hurts to apply pressure from both sides. :)

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

thanks.

Anyone know what FOI means as in post 4?

Edited by questioning

Sorry, it's a freedom of information request - didn't notice that hadn't been answered.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Thanks thats what i thought it was, thanks, I've seen where to send it.

Update

Just before Christmas I found out that my records say that I was cancelled the day before:jaw: not on the day which is when I was actually cancelled

It now boils down to a complaint to the hospital. The person at PALS who told me to put in a complaint believes me and told me to complain however she said "it will be my word against theirs" :x

I received a letter saying they would look into my complaint and when they complete their investigation they will respond to me within 25 working days in writing.

So another cop out as the time line for the 28 day guarantee is up in a couple of days and I'm sure they will just respond with "well our records say you were cancelled day before"

My doctor is writng to the hospital to let them know that I am in pain all day every day so that my help.

Anyway just up dating incase its of interest to anyone else in a similar position.

This is the most frustrating situation I have ever been in so I hope others aren't going through the same thing.