style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2498 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I had a terrible time - whilst unwell - trying to contact Trainline on 13th December 2012.

The no. was actually unobtainable for most of the morning.

I wanted clarification - by speaking to a 'person' as to whether I could get a refund/amend rail tickets as was due to visit my seriously ill 90-year old Mother in Manchester;

I was ill myself so unable to go!

In 'desperation' I called National Rail Enquiries to be infomed the no.

I had was correct and they were unable to help me.

They did, however, provide me with the no. of 'Northern Trains'.

I eventually got through to someone there who was curt and very rude!

They said they were unable to help and that I 'must press Option 1' on Trainline!

I asked 'how can I press Option 1 on an unobtainable number?!?

He repeated 'you must press Option 1'!! Said he would put me through - got immediately cut off!

Useless!

Eventually the Trainline no. was in operation and when I eventually got through to a person,

I enquired why the no. was unobtainable ealier on - to which I got the reply 'they were very busy with calls coming in'!

Usually there should be a message indicating 'lines are busy'!

I then got told, as I had advance tickets (as corroborated online) I was not entitled to a refund,

but I could 'change the dates which would allow a refund of approx. £8.50 BUT I would have to pay a £10 admin. charge'!

How stupid can you get?!

I had paid £1 to Columbus Direct insurance and attempted to phone them on no. provided: 0870 033 9988!

Lines too busy - could not get through.

Not even worth paying the £1 for insurance which should cover illness!

Don't bother!! Money lost!!

1) Let this be a beneficial lesson to you. Trainline is ALWAYS the most expensive site to book any rail tickets or products from. Booking directly with a Train Company like Virgin, Arriva, East Coast or Scotrail etc will have exactly the same fares available, but will not charge any booking fees or card charges. Most Train Companies also do not require you to ring expensive phone numbers up. You can book any journey with any train company.

2) Any refund is subject to a £10 admin fee, with very limited exceptions, (generally relating to disruption). "Advance" ticket types are completely not refundable, regardless of circumstances, no matter how saddening they may be. To be fair to the railway industry, this is made pretty explicit in the terms and conditions during the booking process.

3) I would suggest you book any future rail tickets using Southern Railway, which will allow you to get a quibble free refund flexible tickets for any journey, without charging an admin fee. This is known as the Money Back Guarantee.

4) You generally don't need insurance for a rail journey. The National Rail Conditions of Carriage give you extensive rights, and you cannot be left stranded because of a problem with the railway. If disruption within their control occurs, they are liable for providing alternative transport or accommodation.

Hi Firstclassx

Can't thank you enough! I had been recommended Trainline by someone else and I will definitely not use them again!

Yes - I see 'online' re. 'non-refundable' but simply wanted reassurance by speaking to a PERSON, as was particularly 'vulnerable' re. family illness; it was my 90-year old Mother in an extremely vulnerable state too & as I had an infection, I could not risk travelling up to see her. I am rarely 'taken in' as a consumer, but, Yes, they 'get you' at a weak point in your life. I have come across far worse companies/individuals and 'taken them on'!:-x

Never again and thanks for the other contacts - very useful. It was actually Northern Trains I was needing to use, however, and found the person I spoke to there extremely unhelpful! But I will definitely avoid Trainline in the future. Many thanks and it 'goes without saying' I will 'spread the word' in general. Thanks again - appreciate your quick reply! I'm pretty good at 'blogging' on other consumer sites too; paying heed to defamation laws re. particular individuals & still 'fighting' despite everything! I should be 'Miss Feisty don't mess with ME'!:mad2::censored:

I think Trainline spend all the money on stupid adverts at Marylebone.

"Join our Campaign for Change and help drive the industry forward." ~ Rossendales

Yeah I'll help you drive the industry forward. Forward off Beachy Head! ~ Me

Noticed when quote Trainline, I go to Great Western and save direct with them, Trainline seem to add £1.00 to cost of ticket on the net for the same ticket, but site looks like Great Western, wonder if they are one of the same?

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Hi guys! Thanks for your comments! Well I went into their site 'just for the hell of it' then up came 'please fill in our survey'! GREAT!:whoo: I duly DID - had to keep my language 'clean' though:madgrin::mad2: But, hey if they get enough 'zeros' ??? they won't care will they not till they actually LOSE money 'big time'! :lol:

Noticed when quote Trainline, I go to Great Western and save direct with them, Trainline seem to add £1.00 to cost of ticket on the net for the same ticket, but site looks like Great Western, wonder if they are one of the same?

First Group, (Scotrail/Great Western/Transpennine/Capital Connect), all use the booking engine designed and sold by ATOS Origin, (who run their own, very good booking site, redspottedhanky, again with no fees).

NEVER book tickets with:

The Trainline (Card & Booking fees, plus watch out for the insurance).

Raileasy (Card & Booking fees)

Merseyrail (Card & Booking fees, they use the Raileasy booking engine)

Virgin Trains and Arriva Trains Wales use the same booking engine as the Trainline, so it has the same sort of feel and layout, but don't charge booking fees or card charges.

Virgin Trains, however, tend to hide competitor's fares, especially London Midland fares.

As I've previously said, I would really recommend Southern Rail to book any rail tickets in the UK because:

No Booking Fees

No Card Charges

No postal charges

No charges for picking up from a self service machine.

Rainy Day Guarantee (easy refund on flexible tickets)

Free gifts (itunes vouchers etc) when booking season tickets.

Cheers firstclassx Great that Southern Rail do 'North of Watford'! LOL! :-) Really grateful for this, cheers!:-)