cath001

Council reduce the size of H Bar after 10yrs... HELP

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2499 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi to all,

My partner paid for a H Bar to be put in place some 10yrs ago. The council have resurfaced the road and have marked up where the new replacement H Bar should be placed which is smaller.

The council are playing ball games and are reluctant to put the H bar back to the size it was before resurfacing... this is currently in dispute. I've tried looking online for information so would be greatful of any help and advice or even any website links regarding this information.

Thankyou

Are you referring to the white H bar that is often put in front of a private driveway by the council? If so, I don't think the size they draw it is of any real importance. The white H bar has no legal standing and is only there to make the associated dropped kerb more noticeable to the motorist.

The offence that may be committed would be obstructing the dropped kerb, and that offence is not dependant on a car being on the white H. So, for example, if the H is 2foot shorter on each end than the dropped kerb, a motorist can still receive a PCN for parking next to the dropped kerb near that extra 2 foot. Likewise, if the H extends 3 feet beyond the actual dropped kerb, then a car parking on only the final 1 foot of white H isn't actually contravening any traffic orders.

Cheers Crem,

That's the H Bar I'm talking about, the one located at the end of a drive way lol. All other residents park on there own H Bar's/dropped kerb so shoppers in the area think its ok to park there car on our H Bar/dropped kerb when its clear its used as a driveway with having drive gates and a car on the drive. The council say they cant enforce the issue so we have to ring the police, which we have in the past. We have problems with cars/vans etc parking with either front end or back end overhanging which is difficult to get in and out the drive, especially when someone parks across from our driveway, even though its a single yellow line across road with signs in place stating no parking between 9am and 5pm. I've counted 13 cars parked on the single yellow line many of times on weekdays between 9am and 5pm.

The council say they cant enforce the issue so we have to ring the police, which we have in the past.

This, unfortunately, is exactly right because the council can only enforce parking restrictions. Parking over a white H bar is not a contravention of a parking order but comes under a motoring offence of "obstruction". Motoring offences are enforced by the police in this case.