Council Tax Dept Refused my CT benefits due to redundancy

roey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4147 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please can some give me advice ?

i lost my job after 23 years working for the same company,i recived £23.000 payoff due to total site closure,

what i did was pay £30.000 of my morgage leaving me £2000 outstanding

i used most of my savings and only have about £3000 left in bank.

i am getting jsa cont based because ive been working 23 years , all that side of things is fine

i had no option of paying my house if i didint i would lose it because could not make payments with not working,

my prob is council tax !! i am having a nightmare with derby city council,i started my claim 9 weeks ago providing all the documents info they asked for,

they are now saying because i had £16.000 capital i do not qualify for council tax benefit !!!

so what do i do now ? all i get is £72.00 jsa a week and thats it they want me to pay full council tax and im not working ??? how can this be ? ive never been unemployed allways payed my way,

if they take me to court what will happen ? because i just have not got the money to pay them.

i am worried sick dont know what to do?

just before i got made redundant the benefets people came into work and adviced me to pay off my house so i have roof over my head, they said i will not be penalised for doing so !!

please if anybody can help me sort this mess out with them ?

thanks

I have moved you to the forum where you will get advice on this situation. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You can appeal the decision. Deprivation of capital rules are dependant on your motive for disposing of capital, being to be eligible for benefits. If your motive was something else, and you can show the benefits of this, then you can argue the case.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

okay, i am confused

are you saying: -

1. you own your home?
  2. you have been refused CTB?
  3. you have been awarded HB?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

okay, i am confused

1. you own your home?

I didn't notice that! Yes, what's that about?

are you in a shared ownership scheme where you rent part of your home and have a mortgage on the other part?

It does sound as though you are being treated under the deprivation of capital rules.

Whilst you are waiting for your new contract to start you can still continue to claim JSA but will need to willing to take up temporary employment in the meantime if available and offered.

Only the DM can make the decision regarding the deprivation of capital any redundancy advisers can ony give out general advice not firm decisions.

If the benefits people who were advising on the redundancy suggested that you should use your money to clear your mortgage then it seems very unfair that you are now being penalised.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Please can some give me advice ?

i lost my job after 23 years working for the same company,i recived £23.000 payoff due to total site closure,

what i did was pay £30.000 of my morgage leaving me £2000 outstanding

i used most of my savings and only have about £3000 left in bank.

i am getting jsa cont based because ive been working 23 years , all that side of things is fine

i had no option of paying my house if i didint i would lose it because could not make payments with not working,

my prob is council tax !! i am having a nightmare with derby city council,i started my claim 9 weeks ago providing all the documents info they asked for,

they are now saying because i had £16.000 capital i do not qualify for council tax benefit !!!

so what do i do now ? all i get is £72.00 jsa a week and thats it they want me to pay full council tax and im not working ??? how can this be ? ive never been unemployed allways payed my way,

if they take me to court what will happen ? because i just have not got the money to pay them.

i am worried sick dont know what to do?

just before i got made redundant the benefets people came into work and adviced me to pay off my house so i have roof over my head, they said i will not be penalised for doing so !!

please if anybody can help me sort this mess out with them ?

thanks

Sorry, I cannot see anywhere the OP has said he has housing benefit ?

BCOBS

okay, i am confused

1. you own your home?

It did say that......or maybe I'm losing the plot (entirely possible)

No you not losing it,OP did say they where receiving HB I remember seeing that too,suspect they hit the edit button !

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

The people who go out to give the redundacy talks are not benefit processors and will not say you should do this that or the other, the can only advise that you consider all options. If was only going to be an initial contribution based claim (no Hb/Ctb) then it wouldn't have made any difference of the OP used their redundancy to pay off part of their outstanding mortgage but only if there is an income based claim and then deprivation of capital rules could apply.

Obviously I wasn't present to say if that was definitely the case or not but having accompanied a colleague to a redundancy talk I have heard what is discussed and our adviser stressed that they could only give out general advice and handed out leaflets for customers to take away to read for further information.

there is one post that has disappeared that stated how JSA had been sorted along with HB but not the CtB, you weren't imagining it!

Glad to hear it wasn't just me going mad.....