someone please give advice for large catalogue debts

vonny1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3141 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

this is my first time on the site so dont know much about it.

Im looking for some advice please.

I have 2 catalogue debts £3'000 with simply be and a wopping £10'000 with kays catalogue.

I have always been a good payer until my husband left me 2 months ago.

I have 3 children to support the youngest is 2.

I have no job as im a house wife and of course my youngest child who's not at school yet.

I am so worried I cant sleep!!

I would of never run up such high bills id of known this was going to happen.

After reading some forums on here ive decided to write to both of them offering a £5 a month payment.

The thing I really want to know is with the Kays bill being so high what exactley can they do to me as I cant pay???

My eldest children are teenagers and I dont want them to find out and worry about this.

Is it likely I will have debt collectors calling round and are they more than likely to take me to court??

someone please help I just dont know what to do,

the worry of this is taking over my life.

Many thanks.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should indeed write to them and offer a token payment.

Do you have other debts apart from these? You need to sit down and sort out a budget plan for yourself - I have attached one below.

Catalogue and credit card debts are at the very bottom of the priority list.

Rent/mortgage/council tax/utilities/ MUST be your main priority.

Ellens Budget Sheet.xls

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Vonny

You MUST book to see Citizens Advice ASAP, as they can advise you on all the different aspects to this. They can look at your financial position and discuss what help may be available to you. e.g benefits, housing/council tax, child support agency, debts.

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm

If you can get Citizens Advice on your side, they will often write to all of the companies you owe money to, with affordable payment arrangements. Some of these catalogue companys and other creditors will agree to payments agreed with help from Citizens Advice, that they would not agree to, if you contacted them directly.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you for your replies, I will go and see the CAB as soon as possible. would you mind telling me if you know what kind of action they can take against me, Im terrified im going to have people knocking at the door!! thanks

Thank you for your replies, I will go and see the CAB as soon as possible. would you mind telling me if you know what kind of action they can take against me, Im terrified im going to have people knocking at the door!! thanks

If you are not meeting the minimum payments required, they will issue a default notice and you will have this added to your credit record. So your credit rating will be hit.

With large catalogue debts they will pass these to outside debt collection agencies (DCAs'), whether you have an affordable payment arrangement or not. But if see CAB they will help you, so you can avoid as much hassle as you can. If you ignored the debts, then you could expect many more letters and phone calls, plus doorstep agents looking to obtain payment agreement. So best to deal with this by getting debt advice now. By making regular affordable payments, you should also avoid CCJ's and bankruptcy.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Vonny, are you reliant on benefits for your income? If you are, and you have no realistic prospect of getting into work that could allow you pay off these debts at a realistic rate any time soon, then you could look at getting a Debt Relief Order. I've put in a link to the CAB page on this below. You would have to get professional advice on this, to make sure it's the right option for you - it would obviously have a very negative impact on your credit rating, but so will defaulting on your payment schedule or setting up an arrangement to pay.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/life/debt/debt_relief_orders.htm#what_is_a_debt_relief_order

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Please try and remember that these are only catalogue debts, so they are NOT a priority, they fall way down the bottom of the list of things to pay.

Granted the amounts are steep, BUT not insurmountable, if you have been a good customer for many years and now your circumstances have changed, then this speaks volumes.

I'm a little concerned with some of the negative comments posted, but the thing to remember is that being in debt is NOT a criminal offence, and these are only catalogues.

If some random stranger does feel the need to knock on your door, then as it is your private property, then you can treat them the same as a gypsy selling pegs. YOU are under absolutely NO legal obligation to discuss anything with a stranger who knocks on your door.

Keep everything in writing, NEVER discuss your financial matters over the phone. If they start ringing, simply tell them, "Everything in writing" and hang up, DO NOT go through their puerile 'security' questions, it has nothing to do with security at all, so when you hear those words, laugh and tell them everything in writing only. Hang up.

TBH, if push comes to shove, all you will be forced to pay is the legal token minimum of £1 a month on both accounts.

How old are these?

When did you take them out?

Have you written to each of them and mentioned that your circumstances have changed therefore you won't be able to meet the required payments and that you would like their assistance to come to a new agreement based on your new circumstances?

Above all else, it's not the end of the world, they can't take what you haven't got. Welcome to CAG, your in great hands here.:welcome:

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 1 month later...

Hi

I'm sorry I haven't been on here since December,

I was trying to concentrate on giving my children a good xmas even though I feel like I'm going insane!!!

I have been walking round with my head in the sand but I realize now I really need to sort this out..

I wrote to both catalogues offering Kays £10 per month and Simply Be £5 per month.

Kays have excepted this for 3 months so god knows what they've got planned for me after that.

The Simply Be account is now in the hands of Reliable Collections DCA who will not except the offer (I have been making the payment anyway).

They then sent me a letter last week stating that after consulting certain files they know where I am!!!,

Ive never disputed where I am, Ive been here for 9 years. So dont know what on earth's going on there.

The thing I'm really worried about is that I read somewhere recently that an unsecured debtor can now easily get a charging order against my house????.

It is jointly owned by myself and my husband and my husband is still paying the majority of the mortgage and I'm paying £100 per month.

I dont want to lose mine and my children's home because of some catalogue bills..

can someone please advise me on this please as now I'm really worried to the point I cant sleep.

Thank You so much for all your help.

One more thing would it be worth me sending a SAR request to both of them or is that pretty pointless considering the size of the debt????

Thanks. :sad:

Don't worry about a charging order, if the house is in joint names and the debt is against you then a charging order will not be allowed.

As for the " after consulting certain files they know where I am" just ignore them, this is intended to make you believe they have some

sort of special powers and it is just intended to frighten and intimidate you.

They just love playing Secret Squirrel

Edited by daverules
Spelling

That statement is so out of order and almost certainly designed to a ) intimidate and b) obtain a knee jerk reaction.

So what if they do know where you are..! If they didnt they would be guilty of DPA breaches as well as OFT breaches. Silly b*ggers. Send a copy of the letter to the OFT and confirm that you feel threatened by such a statement.

They wont interfere in an individual complaint, but they will add it to the list of complaints they already have and will use these when it comes up for the renewal of Reliable's CCA licence.

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Is that a definate about the charging order??

I read that they can get one when a property is in joint names and the debt is only against one one of them.

The debt will only be taken from the debtors half of the money when the property is sold.

Is this the case or is it unlikely???

I have explained my financial situation fully to Kays and that it is not likely to change dramaticaly in the near future

so why do you think they have excepted reduced payments for just 3 months??.

Is it worth me sending requests for SAR's or or is that a waste of time?.

Thank you so much.

charging orders it has been said , if property is a joint one, then an order refers to one partner, but on selling of property the DCA etc get informed weeks after sale took place = chances are the funds have been spent, sure others will specify this area./

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

I opened the Kays account early 2006 and I think Simply Be was around 2007. Thats what I will do next but even if they cant come up with a signed credit agreement would they really consider letting 10'000 go???????? many thanks.

Hi again, Ive just read through the template letter for acquiring a CCA ( what is the difference between this and a SAR)?, and it says send a£10 PO, is that right or is it £1??? thanks again.

Is that £10000 made up of genuine purchases, or is it mostly charges?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Well, before ANYTHING else happens, if the debt is NOT Statute barred, then a CCA request needs to be filled. If that comes back and it complies with requirements, then a full breakdown is needed before any kind of repayment is even considered.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Have you checked your Credit files?

IGNORE unreliable collections, deal direct with the catalogues, set up a standing order, NOT a direct debit and pay what YOU can afford, be it £5 or £10, they have no choice they will accept your money, which is why you DO NOT pay the DCA's.

How did you open these accounts?

When in 2007 did you open the second catalogue and how?

If you send a SAR to both catalogues (cost £10 ea) then this will flag up any fees and charges that they may have added, which you will then be able to reclaim.

Try not to worry too much about what might or could happen, just concentrate on what is happening.

If you are paying something, rather than nothing, then there is very little they will be able to do.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi yes I have checked credit file it just shows up as late payments at the moment.

I honestly cant remember how I opened the Simply Be account I'm sure I phoned up for a catalogue to be sent out.

should I send all correspondence to them and not to Reliable Collections then??.

I received this email from Kay's today, it read as follows:"

Dear Mrs ***,

Thank you for your email regarding your account. If you were able to pay for your BNPL goods in advance of them being applied to your account and incurring interest,

the figure to pay would be £4238.72. Y

our account balance is £2270.32 therefore the amount to clear your account at this moment in full would be £6509.04.

We are willing to set the arrangement for £10.00 as mentioned in your email for a period of 3 months" etc etc...

So yes there is an awful lot of interest being added on.

I will send off for SAR's as soon as possible.

Thanks for your help:-)

Still need more info about this 10k amount and SB status/CCA letter.

what info would you like about the 10k????.

All I can tell you about Simply Be is that the debt has been handed to reliable collections who are refusing my payment offer of £5 per month

and interest is being added every month at a rate of approx 34% which really deems my £5 every month pointless!!.

Its all just a real mess!!.

Id hoped that being an excellent payer for the last 5 years might count for something but not to these people!!!

First, as its been sold to a dca, you need to cca them. if that comes back ok then you need a full breakdown of the debt before you start paying them. Catalogue debts are known to be used to fleece people and turn them into cash cows. Especially if you never challenge them.

There is little point in paying a reduced sum of either £5.00 or £10.00 a month if they continue to add interest and charges..

I am amazed they have permitted anyone to run up a debt of £10,000 on a catalogue ??

BCOBS