hazbo

MiB want £18500 for uninsured car accident

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2495 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

In April 2012 a man, who I now know was a tracer working on behalf of the Motorist Insurers Bureau (MiB) turned up at my door asking me to confirm my name and had I ever lived at ######### address ( yes this was my address 4/5 yrs ago)

He continued that he was here to ask about a car accident that I was allegedly involved in back in 2007 he gave me the location and date of the accident also the registration of the vehicle I was alleged to have been driving.

I told him I'd never driven stated vehicle, let alone been involved in any accident, to which he replied "I'll report back to MiB and that'll probably be the end of it"

Anyway, 3 months later I received a phone call from Weightmans solicitors asking how I'd like to clear my account of £18500. I was shocked and confused to say the least. I told the operator on the phone call in no uncertain terms that I had never been involved in any such accident, their reply "well MiB have paid out to the 'other' party and have instructed us to recover this amount from yourself, do you have a debit card ready to make a payment sir?"

Suffice to say I hung up the call.

I went straight to a local solicitor who wasn't exactly clued up in this field but would send a letter saying I strongly denied any involvement in said accident and any attempt to pursue me for money would be strongly defended.

At the time of the stated accident I was living in accommodation with a shared postbox with 4 or 5 other properties, my gut feeling is that someone has gotten my details from stolen mail and gave my name when they had this accident.

So now as it stands Weightmans have closed this "account" and returned the case to MiB.

What I would like advice on from anyone in the know is:

What will the MiB do now, surely they need to attempt to prove that I was in any accident, in court maybe?

Now that Weightmans have closed this "account" does that prove they were just trying it on or clutching at straws?

Thanks in advance for any help

I've moved this thread into the General Motoring issues forum where there should be people better placed to advise. ;)

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

From the outset, I would strongly advise you to source a solicitor who specializes in this field to back up any advice you may get here.

I would imagine that Weightmans solicitors are merely a debt collection agency (DCA) chancing their arm. I would further imagine that they would have to prove there was a case against you which would mean potential County Court proceedings. if you are 100% confident that this has nothing to do with you, the next time they call (if it was me) I would simply say 'Take the matter to court or don't contact me again'.

But as I say, take face to face professional advice on the matter as soon as you can.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Are you driving now?

You should be able to tell from your present premiums if you are as to whether or not this has been closed.

Hi and thanks for moving this thread, I'm new on here and just finding out how it all works.

Yes I'm still driving, I have drove for the last 13 years, both on my own policies and, work vehicles on their insurance. I'm not really sure what you mean by I would be able to tell from my own policy, there was never any claim made on my insurance so my premiums have never changed.

Does anyone think I should contact MiB directly, or should I let sleeping dogs lie?

Thanks again

If they have just forgot about it, your premiums will be normal but if they are still thinking you owe them the money but they can't get it, or are the reason they have lost 18k, (it's always someone elses fault according to insurance companies), then your premiums will probably be higher than normal.