Marbles Credit Card PPI Questions.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3842 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, all...hope everyone is doing fine.

First post so, don't know where to start, but anyway....about 12 years ago, i went in to HFC offices to pay off a loan we (my wife and i ) had.

On the suggestion of one of the staff, we decided to go for a credit card.

At the time, i had not long started a new job at a aircraft maintenance company and was on a very good salary and company pension scheme.

I was also entitled to full pay if at anytime i became ill and had to have time off.

The lady who dealt with my application (i'm sure her name was Gaynor) asked me if i wanted payment insurance, i informed her that i had never had payment insurance on any other loan which i had taken and that i did not want it with this card.

She smiled at me and said "No problem, it's just that, although you are on a great salary at the moment, you never know what is around the next corner, one day you can be in work, the next day you could be signing on the dole".

But anyway, that was that and we applied for and recieved a credit card.

I used the credit card twice, once to pay for a hire car while we were in spain, and once more for a birthday present for my daughter. All told, i think it was about eight hundred pounds that we had taken by credit.

For about two years after our application, i was bombarded with phone calls from the lady who dealt with our application (Gaynor) asking if i'd like to have more loans as i was on great wages and i could have a lot more than their average customer.

Each time i declined her offer and said that i might think about it at a later date (Just to get her off the phone).

The only other corrospondence i had with this company (apart from the monthly statement, telling me i have so much to pay this month) is when i got a letter informing me that 'Marbles' were now dealing with my account....until a couple of days ago.

I opened a letter which was from Marbles, and i could not believe my eyes.

It states as follows....

Dear Mr Blah, blah

Over the past few years the Competition Commission has been looking at the way in which Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) has been sold and administered by Financial Services. As a part of this, we have now introduced an Annual Review for the PPI on your credit card. We're pleased to enclose your Personalised Annual Review for your optional Credit Card Repayments Cover.

It then goes on to inform me that, i can cancel my policy at any time and it will not affect my credit, cheaper or more appropriate cover may be available from other providers..ect, ect.

Then, it informs me as to what type of cover is included-:

Life, Accident and Sickness, Unemployment and other (Carer, Hospitalisation, blah-de-blah )

The only problem is, i didn't want PPI in the first place, i told the girl when she asked if i wanted it all those years ago.

I never really took much notice of the bills, i just opened the letter and saw who it was from and then stacked it with the other bills that get payed each month.

I had no reason to doubt that anything other than the credit loan was on the bill. As far as i was concerned, we make the payments and thats it until the next months bill comes through the letter box.

It was only after reading that letter, that i scanned one of the bills.

And there it was "Repayment Cover.....£12.61"

I could have punched and kicked myself for not noticing that before.

I had probably seen it, but i thought it was just something which everybody with a credit card would have to pay, admin charges or something, never dreamed it could be another wording for PPI.

Anyway, what would be the recomended way forward?

Do i write and ask then to cancel it?

Tell them i never wanted it and that i didn't think we were paying PPI?

How do i go about getting my money back without letting them know how stupid i've been?

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

sadwriter.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, ims21...no, i don't have all the statements. I have a few, all with approx the same amount of PPI charges.

I've asked my wife if she ever remembers any other mail from the credit card company, any that refer to PPI, she says she can't recall.

You see, i don't read every line of a bill that comes through the door, i just read the total and put it with the other bills, which my wife pays every tuesday without fail, when she goes to the bank.

Oh a bit of a shame but there you go.

Ok I would send a subject access request to HFC (who are Marbles) to get hold of all the information you can on this account.

Be aware though that HFC are not only shredders of old information but all banks baulk at giving out information more than six years old (even though we have evidence that they do have it).

From information that comes back you will get a better idea of how much PPI you have paid as it will be detailed on the copy statements/transaction history you should get.

The cost of a SAR is £10 and they will have 40 days to comply.

Also, pop along to the fos website and download a copy of the consumer questionnaire ready for completion.

• 1 month later...

As HFC have only five days left to comply with the sar, would it be a bad idea to call them and ask if they are in the process of completing my request or, should i just hang on for the next few days?.

There may be a problem, though....i have proof that my 'Special Delivery' envelope containing my request was signed for on the 18th Dec, 2012, but i have called the Post Office and (as of this morning) the Postal Order for the £10.00 has not yet been cashed.

Does this sound unusual, or is it quite common not to cash the P.O. until after completion of sar request?.

Thanks for any assistance.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, what is a 'cca'?...i've read a couple times about people cca'ing banks, companies and such, what's all that about, then?

sadwriter

Edited by sadwriter

Ok so you know the SAR letter was received so their 40 days runs from then.

There is no harm in phoning them and telling them their time is very nearly up.

The fact tat they have chosen not to cash the payment is their problem. You can show that they received the SAR.

If, after the 40 days has expired, you have still not received your data then you send them the failed SAR letter in the CAG library.

You can also submit a formal complaint to the Information Commissioner.

You can, if you wish, issue proceedings against them to force disclosure and claim for damages at the courts discretion.

Thank you very much, ims21.

Would i need to cca them or would/should they be apart of the sar?

sadwriter

Sadly it is a bit of a grey area.

Some organisations do supply a copy of the agreement as part of a SAR and some don't. I understand that the ICO say that they fell it "should" be supplied but that there is no requirement to do so.

If it were me I would wait and see what the SAR throws up and take it from there.

For future reference, we recommend adding a line to a SAR request to the effect that "This request is to include copies of all and any agreements ever held with your organisation".

Edited by ims21

Can anyone tell me, which address i'm supposed to have sent sar to for HFC?.

I have two addresses, one is:-

120 Edmund Street,

Birmingham,

B3 2Q2.

The other:-

Camden House West,

The Parade,

Birmingham,

B1 3PY.

I've used the Camden House address but have had no response and the postal order for the £10 fee has still not been cashed.

With just three days left for them to comply, i fear i may have sent it to the wrong address, even though the envelope has been signed for.

sadwriter.

Made a phonecall today to Marbles to cancel ppi on my credit card, spoke to a guy named steven, told him i was unhappy that had not had any response whatsoever to my dsar and that today was their final day to comply.

seemed a nice enough guy, apologised on behalf of hfc and could i hold the line while he made some enquiries.

After couple mins, he again apologised and told me that he would personally make sure the correct department would be contacted and he would ensure that someone would contact me asap.

He asked if the dsar was in connection with my ppi, i told him that i was making enquiries, to find out dates and whatnot about my account, also informed him that i knew nothing about ppi being added to my credit card until i was sent a letter from marbles regarding 'Annul Review' of my ppi.

I told him that i would give a couple more days for response and then deside what further action i may persue.

He told me that he would 'Get cogs in motion' today.

So, lets see what happens from here.

sadwriter.

Update...

I may have been a little previous in my last post....

Just had a reply from HFC as follows:-

Re: Subject Access Request-xxxxxxxx (Acc. #)

Thank you for your recent communication regarding the Subject Access Request.

Please be advised we are unable to locate an account with the information provided in your letter.

Please forward any previous address history and date of birth and we will respond to you within forty days. Your original letter and £10.00 postal order are enclosed.

Should you require any further information, please contact our Customer Service Department on 0870 240 0990, who will be happy to assist you.

Yours sincerely

Jason Aldridge

Senior Manager

So, are they telling me i don't have an account?

I've been at my address for 22 years, i know i was at this same address when i opened the account so, what is the script in a situation like this?

Do i write and inform them of the same address as when account was opened or do i take another route?

Your answers, as always, are very much appreciated.

sadwriter.

Maybe i should sar Marbles?

Perhaps they have the account details, the account has been handled by Marbles for quite some years, now.

Maybe the account number on my card was changed at the time, i can't remember.

Dunno, just fishing for answers.

sadwriter.

Ok, i seem to be getting the run-around.

In my quest for an address to send a dsar to Marbles, i have been passed from pillar to post by numerous individuals within the banking community.

I have the 'West Malling' in Kent address, but can anyone tell me if this is the correct address to send a dsar to?

I have read posts on here which state they have had dsar's returned by Marbles and advised that they do not deal with the cards.

I'm afraid i'm now as confused as ever about where to send dsar's, HFC have already sent my dsar back telling me that they have no records of the account number i listed on my dsar.

I would be most grateful for any help/advice.

sadwriter.

Thanks, ims.

That link gives me the registered offices of SAV credit, Progressive Credit Limited and (funny enough) is also the same address as Marbles.

So, who gets the sar?...cos, if i send it to SAV, they'll prob send it back with an excuse like 'Sorry, wrong company, we don't deal with these cards' or, if i send it to Progressive Credit they'll write back and say something similar, when they are probably sat across the same offices, talking to each other.

aaaah, sod it!....Marbles are gonna get it.

Thanks, ims (again).

You need to track down who the data controller is for the Marbles Card.

You may find that a call to fos might be of help. Alternatively you could be cheeky and call the Information Commissioner's Office who may have them on a database.

I have to say I find the Marbles web a tad confusing too.