Urgent Help, Car Taken!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4142 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, Just a quick brief up!

Car parked in local area, and apparently it was illegally parked, and just picked up and towed away, Do companies have the power to do this without any notification?

I have just had the call from me niece about it, I have firstly advised her take photos of where car was parked, also all photos of surrounding area, along with any signs that she can see, and also take photos, form away back from the signs if any.

I believe it to be in an private land where they go to the Hub!

Only reason why they know it was towed away, they seen another been done, and they got the number.

For arguments sake, lets said they did not spot him, then report car stolen, I guess then the company would get details of owner and send out letter!

But in mean time report stolen and start making a claim via insurance!

Then letter arrives and they try to claim removal fee and storage charge!

Any help and advice appreciated!

Company Believed to be called Mansfield Rescue and Recovery!

This Happened in Birmingham

Be very careful what you say to insurers in reference to the car being stolen they might easily regard it as a fraudulent claim, especially if there are clear notices regarding the parking in that area, giving reasonable belief that parking there could result in removal of the vehicle.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

but if it is a private company on private land then it is an illegal act. In this case I would report it to the police they may say it is a civil matter but it is not.

As for n otices stating clamping/removal these are now illegal on private land

Be very careful what you say to insurers in reference to the car being stolen they might easily regard it as a fraudulent claim, especially if there are clear notices regarding the parking in that area, giving reasonable belief that parking there could result in removal of the vehicle.

No one is going to try and make a claim, It was me assuming that car is stolen, as no one has told us it was taken away

I have had lots of dealings with Mansfield never known them to be into towing away, they are usually recovery and work for all the big rescue services, ring them it could be a mistake!

However they do work for some councils and some police forces!

Got some further info, This is on the road, a public highway, there are parking bays, and 2 sign posts along the road.

The sign post states Residents permit holders only, then 8am-8pm mon to sat and 12am - 8pm Sunday (This was from a quick glance of the sign on a phone)

Even if you have illegally parked without a permit, surely they cannot just come up and tow away your car? Or can they?

I have had lots of dealings with Mansfield never known them to be into towing away, they are usually recovery and work for all the big rescue services, ring them it could be a mistake!

However they do work for some councils and some police forces!

It was witnessed them taking away another car!

3 cars my niece, and another girl there, they seen them loading another on to the back of the removal truck

It is entirely normal for councils/police to use a private company (as its contractors) to remove vehicles at their direction. Whilst the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 made clamping/towing on/from private land illegal the powers granted to councils/police (principally by virtue of S.99 Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984) gives them continuing lawful authority. If the council/police were responsible then they will be able to confirm to you why this occurred and where your vehicle is (and, of course, how much it will cost to recover).

Got some further info, This is on the road, a public highway, there are parking bays, and 2 sign posts along the road.

The sign post states Residents permit holders only, then 8am-8pm mon to sat and 12am - 8pm Sunday (This was from a quick glance of the sign on a phone)

Even if you have illegally parked without a permit, surely they cannot just come up and tow away your car? Or can they?

Wouldn't of thought so unless there are signs warning of the possibility of towing.