Fredrickson (Fredpay - Debt via catalogue) Premier Man

godlives7
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4146 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, my apologies if this is the wrong place for this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Around a year and a half ago my son was living with me and had an account with a catalogue (Premier Man I believe it was). He ordered around about 70-80 pounds worth of stuff and against me knowing a great deal, never paid it back.

He's since moved out and for some time now letters have been arriving regarding the debt. It was eventually passed on to another company and another etc etc. Most of the letters eventually had the usual 'WARNING' stuff and how he had a certain amount of time to pay it off. I opened one of these letters the other day which was from Fredrickson (Fredpay.com). It said how it was a letter before action and:

"The DEBT MUST BE PAID IN FULL TO THESE OFFICES WITHIN THE NEXT 7 DAYS OTHERWISE WE WILL TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTION.

There remains a balance outstanding on this account and legal action is now being considered. Should it be necessary to issue proceedings in the County Court (or the Sheriff Court as may be appropriate), further additional costs will be added to outstanding balance."

It then says the balance is now at 275 pounds after interest, court fees, solicitor costs etc. It then says if a judgement or decree is obtained and remains unsatisfied a bailiff or sheriff officer may be instructed to recover assets to discharge the outstanding debt. Of course then goes on to say how they accept debt cards etc and to go to their site.

Of course the bailiff part is the part that's got me worried. I'm worried stiff of getting a knock on the door around Christmas to find bailiffs on my door threatening to take away my own belongings. Of course my son no longer lives with me and hasn't for a while, but I'm still worried that once they're here, they'll have none of that.

Am I right to be worried and is there anything I should do? The last thing I want is anything like this happening over Christmas. Any help would really be appreciated.

The letter is designed to intimidate.

First of all, they fail to advise that they will need to issue a claim against your Son - Then they will have to win their claim - then your Son will have to fail to pay any Judgment debt should he lose.

Have you passed these letters on to your Son to deal with ?

You should be returning them to Fredericksons/whoever - not known at this address.

They cannot come into your home to remove your possessions.

Edited by citizenB
reworded misleading statement

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The letter is designed to intimidate.

First of all, they fail to advise that they will need to issue a claim against your Son - Then they will have to win their claim - then your Son will have to fail to pay any Judgment debt should he lose.

Have you passed these letters on to your Son to deal with ?

You should be returning them to Fredericksons/whoever - not known at this address.

They cannot come into your home to remove your possessions.

I've had no real contact with him over the last year due to personal reasons.

And really? They can come into my home and take my stuff even though he doesn't live here? So for example, if I moved to a new house and the previous owner had ran up debt, bailiffs could come and take my possessions despite the fact that it had nothing to do with me and was the previous owner?

Will sending the letters back do any good?

I think I must not have explained myself correctly..

NO.. they CANNOT come into your home and take your possessions !! I have reworded.

The letters were not addressed to you - so in theory, you should just have returned them to sender.

You can either write to the sender advising that you have opened a letter in error - your Son no longer lives at your address and you have no contact with him - or simply return them unopened .

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I think citizenB meant There is no question that they will NOT be able to come into your home to remove your possessions.

Thank you :)

BCOBS

I think I must not have explained myself correctly..

NO.. they CANNOT come into your home and take your possessions !! I have reworded.

The letters were not addressed to you - so in theory, you should just have returned them to sender.

You can either write to the sender advising that you have opened a letter in error - your Son no longer lives at your address and you have no contact with him - or simply return them unopened .

Really appreciate the replies. I know I shouldn't have really opened them either, my own mistake and doing there. I'll return the letter I opened the other day regarding this and send it back to the address with an explanation then.

Was simply worried I'd have people turning up on my own door and threatening to take my own belongings. I couldn't help but worry. Really appreciate the replies guys.