Sign in to follow this  
hazbo

MiB / Weightmans want £18500 for uninsured car accident that never happened.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2504 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

In April 2012 a man, who I now know was a tracer working on behalf of the Motorist Insurers Bureau (MiB) turned up at my door asking me to confirm my name and had I ever lived at ######### address ( yes this was my address 4/5 yrs ago)

He continued that he was here to ask about a car accident that I was allegedly involved in back in 2007 he gave me the location and date of the accident also the registration of the vehicle I was alleged to have been driving.

I told him I'd never driven stated vehicle, let alone been involved in any accident, to which he replied "I'll report back to MiB and that'll probably be the end of it"

Anyway, 3 months later I received a phone call from Weightmans solicitors asking how I'd like to clear my account of £18500. I was shocked and confused to say the least. I told the operator on the phone call in no uncertain terms that I had never been involved in any such accident, their reply "well MiB have paid out to the 'other' party and have instructed us to recover this amount from yourself, do you have a debit card ready to make a payment sir?"

Suffice to say I hung up the call.

I went straight to a local solicitor who wasn't exactly clued up in this field but would send a letter saying I strongly denied any involvement in said accident and any attempt to pursue me for money would be strongly defended.

At the time of the stated accident I was living in accommodation with a shared postbox with 4 or 5 other properties, my gut feeling is that someone has gotten my details from stolen mail and gave my name when they had this accident.

So now as it stands Weightmans have closed this "account" and returned the case to MiB.

What I would like advice on from anyone in the know is:

What will the MiB do now, surely they need to attempt to prove that I was in any accident, in court maybe?

Now that Weightmans have closed this "account" does that prove they were just trying it on or clutching at straws?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Sign in to follow this