Equidebt Ltd - Help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4101 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here we go again.....

Received letter from the above 'pond feeders' today:

Dear Mr xxxx our ref xxxx

If you are Mr xxxx please call us on 01789 xxxxxx

If you are not Mr xxxx please help us find Mr xxxx

And the last:

If we get no response to this letter, within 10 days of its issue, we believe it is not unreasonable to assume that you are the individual we wish to contact and therefore you should be aware that we will contact you again regarding this matter.

Should I respond at this stage??

If I ignore them I expect they will start calling me and further letters will follow.

I know not to call then..... ever!!!!

The last bold bit goes beyond what I believe to be the OFT guidelines for a 'Track & Trace' letter and I think could be viewed as harassment.

At this stage I do not know what of my if any 'Statute Barred' debts this may or may not relate too but I could do without the hassle at this time of year.

Last of the pond feeders were Capquest and they went away after a prove it letter.

Some wise words would be useful at this stage.

IGNORE, IGNORE, IGNORE!

All you need do is to copy the letter, and send it to the OFT & TS, also the ICO, and your local MP.

Not harassment by any stretch of the imagination, all they have done is to have reinforce what is widely known, that they're so called 'tracing procedures' are nothing more than sending out thousands of letters to people with the same name OR initials and they await the first mug to respond, from there they will attempt to extract whatever money they can from whatever innocent mug responds.

IGNORE & LODGE FORMAL COMPLAINTS. oft/ts/ico/mp/media.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

It violates OFT guidelines and CSA code of practice to divulge details of a debt to someone whose identity is uncertain. Your non response in their opinion gives them licence to hound you as it "confirms" who you are.

I would ignore. EQ have as much bite as slugs. But they are persistent and, come to think of it, slimy.

Return subsequent mail unopened, just mark it RTS. When i did that, they eventually slithered away.

Keep a record of date of each letter received. You never know what else is lurking down in the depths.

If you must respond, ask them how much they are willing to pay for your tracing services.

Dont ask how much they are willing to pay you, tell them your hourly rate and the clock has already started due to having had to read the letter!

Dont ask how much they are willing to pay you, tell them your hourly rate and the clock has already started due to having had to read the letter!

:-D

Thanks all ..... I await the automated phone calls to start soon as when it states in '10' days time they never wait that long.

I will also see if this relates to a previous encounter with Capquest.

I will NOT however talk to anyone on the phone ...... Lesson learnt from the above and the great advice found on here.

ask them for their complaints procedure for daring to assume that you are who you may not be, and that using members of the public to act as tracing agents for a low-life debt collector is both embarrasing and beneath your morals

So when they next write to me (assuming by some remote chance they have decided to phish for some Statute Barred debt) should I first use this (assuming the text is still valid) or hit them with the Statute Barred Letter (link would be useful anyone as I can only find one for Scotland):

Your Reference: XXXXXXXX

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me regarding the account with the reference number above, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to 'Company Name Here'

I am familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading Guidance on debt collection, which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable AND in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide written evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office of Fair Trading as to your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Mr Very Annoyed

Oh and do I need to add a stronger 'I do not acknowledge any debt' statement ?

Edited by anynewmouse

Personally I would ignore them, and simply lodge formal complaints about them. Just because you don't reply to their childish missives doesn't mean that they have the correct person.

Continue to ignore them and then collect all the evidence they send to forward to the OFT/TS/ICO, and your local MP.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Honestly, you are under absolutely NO legal obligation to respond to any missive sent through the post, nor are you under any legal obligation to talk to someone on your private phone line if you don't wish. Exactly the same as your under no legal obligation to open your front door and talk to a random stranger either.

Well having ignored the original Equidebt track-trace-threat-o-gram ....... guess what they're back with a .....

'DEBT COLLECTION NOTIFICATION'

actually it was bigger than that!!

Anyhow it states:

'We have been instructed to contact you to arrange repayment of this debt and urging me to call them immediately!!'

Failure to to reply to this notice within 7 days may result in the following action:

'We instruct a doorstep agent to make an appointment to visit you home and discuss your financial situation including your reasons for non-payment'

The debt that they are trying to collect on is from Aktiv kaptil UK Limited for a not small amount!!

I have no knowledge of any money being owed to such company and have not had communication from them ever!

So next step before I go mad???? (They are not calling me on the phone yet and no I am not going to talk to them)

Options I see are:

1. Prove it letter to Equidebt (ED) (and whilst I am at it state no phone calls or visits)

2. CCA request to AK although why should a donate 1 pound to their xmas fund.

3. Complaint letter to ED and/or AK

4. Something else

Some advise useful here.

Edited by anynewmouse

Should I not send a letter to them as I do not want the parasites hassling me on the phone over xmas?

I hated Crapquest for doing this a couple of years back (They have since gone away)

The amount they are referring to is different to the CQ ones so I do not think it is related.

By all means send them a letter, but say that you will report them if they start to hassle you on the phone and that no appointment will be made for a visit but mainly, 'there will be no further correspondence entered into unless they send proof that you owe anything'.

So how about this ? Anything in it's contents to change? (Send it recorded?)

Your Reference: XXXXXXXXXXX

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me regarding the account with the reference number above, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to Aktiv Kapital UK Limited.

I am familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading Guidance on debt collection, which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable AND in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to harassment.

Should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make such an appointment with you or anyone acting on your behalf.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide WRITTEN evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I WILL have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office of Fair Trading as to your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

anynewmouse (Printed and no signature)

Seriously, in my honest opinion, to engage with them in a childish game of letter tennis is simply a waste of your time.

How are you getting on with the complaints to the OFT&TS, if you really want to send someone something, then send them both a formal complaint to deal with.

You respond to this letter, which has been spat out by a computer, and they will flip the switch to overdrive bombarding you with more irrelevant nonsense....

If they start harassing you over crimbo by phone then you have the option of reporting them to the police, the OFT&TS and Ofcom, also your phone provider using their malicious calls procedure.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, 'unexpected' response from EQ today from my 'Prove it letter':

"Thank you for you letter dated ...... and we have with have noted the above account accordingly"

"We can confirm that you will not receive any further communication from Equidebt Ltd."

Result or should I expect something else from another dca?

Just keep the letter, then if someone else tries to con you out of money, you will be able to make a complaint about them and EQ.