Hastings Want to Double my excess if I choose my own repair company!

slinkydonkey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4083 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All

I was recently involved in a crash where a lady drove into the back of my car as I was waiting at a T junction.

So of course I phoned my insurance company Hastings Direct...my policy is a Hastings Essential policy.

Initially they wanted me to use 'Albany Assistance' which I thought was a great idea until they started to ask me to agree to a hire agreement for the hire car alarm bells started to ring. After googling them I realized there was a huge danger I could be left with a huge hire car bill. Some horror stories on the honest John website where someone has had to fight a 7k bill!

First off Hastings wanted to use a garage down in Southampton called Silverlake Garages latter on this gets changed to another garage in Portsmouth.

So I canceled Albany Assistance and decided to take my car to my local main dealership they where excellent and gave the quote to Hastings that day!

I was told by Hastings that if I went ahead and decided to use my own garage I would have to pay double my policy Excess!

Apparently because I have the Essential policy. (I am going to try to find the policy documents but can they do this?)

The whole process of phoning Hastings has been a nightmare ive been passed around so many different companies its hard to remember all there names and the amount of times ive been put on hold. God knows why they all use 0845 numbers too!.

I have read online that often the insurance companies like to use there approved garages purely as it is beneficial to them selves and often the garages use substandard parts I dont know how true this is though.

So is it true that because I use the Essentail Hasting policy they have the right to double my excess just because i wont do what i want?

Thanks In Advance

Paul

Thanks HB I just found my policy details online and it says 'We will cover Loss of or Damage to your car, up to its market value. If you do not use our nominated repairer, the

excess shown for the section on your Schedule will be doubled." it seems criminal they can do this I think the OFT should look into this!

I don't have a land line there a waste of money I do use say no to 0845 but just wanted to have a moan because i hate 0845 numbers. Anyway I found a link on a website and it says "It has been agreed with the Office of Fair Trading and The British Board Of Motor Insurers that as a Motor Vehicle insurance policy holder you have the right to choose the repairer you wish to carry out the repairs on your vehicle, regardless of the insurance company's advice. You are not obliged to use their approved repairers." so is this law?

I would love to see an official reply from someone at Hastings about this looks like Insurance companies have upset the OFT as well as OFT is currently investigation this!

Edited by slinkydonkey

Hi slinkydonkey, Thanks for posting, I am sorry for the delay in my resonse. I would like to offer my assistance to help you get this matter resolved. Can you please get in contact with me directly with your policy details so that I can take a look at your policy? Many Thanks, Jamie

[email protected]

Edited by Hastings Direct. Joe - Social Media Customer Support
Email address

Hi slinkydonkey, Thanks for posting, I am sorry for the delay in my resonse. I would like to offer my assistance to help you get this matter resolved. Can you please get in contact with me directly with your policy details so that I can take a look at your policy? Many Thanks, Jamie =QUOTE]

Good and bad news the 3rd party client have admitted responsibility. I have taken advice from people who have posted on moneysaving expert website and decided to use the 3rd party’s insurance company to do everything. I cannot tell you how much of a relief it is to use Zurich over Hastings. Every time I tried to phone Hastings I had to wait about 8 to 10 minutes in the queue toe even get through! When I phoned im Zurich on a 0800 number the answered in seconds.

As soon as this claim is over guess who I’m moving my policy too? Yes Zurich!

What is even more disappointing is that your company did not ever seem to have my interest at heart it is all about screwing your own customers over as much as possible and by trying to save as much money as possible by out sourcing everything so that everyone get a bit of the cake! It is no surprise everyone premiums are sky high!

The only reason why Zurich admittedly responsibility so quickly is because I phoned them directly to tell them there customer had hit my car. Considering this incident happed over a week ago Zurich have told me they STILL haven’t had any notification from Hastings!

I would warn anyone never to use Hastings Essentials !

Cheers

Paul

Edited by slinkydonkey

Hi Paul, Thanks for the update, I am sorry to hear about the situation and I would really like the opportunity to investigate this and find out what went wrong. If you could email me your policy details I would really appreciate it. Many Thanks, Jamie

Hi Paul, Thanks for the update, I am sorry to hear about the situation and I would really like the opportunity to investigate this and find out what went wrong. If you could email me your policy details I would really appreciate it. Many Thanks, Jamie

Ok thanks I have emailed you.

Keep us updated as obviously Hastings don't want you to post any more which is why they ask you to contact them.

Hi Surfer01, I would also encourage the OP to post updates. Due to DPA regulations I am not able to discuss in too much detail on a public forum however I will do my best to help. Many Thanks, Jamie

Another example how bad they are just had a phone call from the physio department who had been instructed by Carpenters

Solicitors who has been instructed by Hastings Direct..

This is an example of poor communication I had already phoned Hastings Direct to tell them I would not be using any of there services and was told everyone would be informed clearly this was not he case. It just goes to show how inept they are.

• 1 month later...

Just to update you this company IS THE WORST I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH IN MY LIFE I have dealt with some really bad companies in the past this one takes the p** I will be leaving a full review of why they are so bad here and why I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy ! In comparison the 3rdy party's insurance company were excellent if it was not for them (Zurich Private Clients) I would still be dealing with the completely inept and rude Hastings Direct thats assuming I could even get through to there battery farm of a call center.