• Tweets

• The world's largest economy grew less than expected but rising inflation may delay a rate cut.View the full article
    • Hello, Following the submission of my defense, last night I received an email from DCBL indicating that the claimant intends to proceed with the claim (I've attached a screenshot of the email for reference) along with the N180 directions questionnaire. I'm unsure how they obtained my email, but I suspect it was through the courts' form when I completed the Acknowledgment of Service. This email almost slipped my attention. I have also today received a letter from court to state they have received my defense.  It appears they are requesting an online telephone hearing with the court. Could you please advise me on the necessary steps I should take at this point? Thank you for your assistance. Letter-Email 25-04-24.pdf N180 - Directions questionnaire (Small Claims Track).pdf
    • Default Amount £9237.88, all this started in 2006 Admitted debt £9075.65 Weightmans added £1515.01 immediately they became involved, no explanation The Statement shows when Marlin bought debt in May 2011 £10439.25 Their statements, not received until the SAR, are based on this. Cabot deducted £1515.01on their statements in January 2019, again did not find this out until SAR. Weightmans added in  2007 after the CH1 etc was confirmed by the court £741.50, made up of Process server fees, Court Fee (they tried for bankruptcy), Solicitors fee and Land Registry fee. Unspecfied Legal costs were added by Marlin in March 2015, again I did not know this until statements received with SAR I had been paying monthly, without exception until December 2018. I am minded to take the property charge, CH1 amount ,deduct all my payments and the subsequent fees, and request/demand a refund on the final payment made? I consistently disputed Weightmans balances, but they never responded. I also told Mortimer Clarke/Cabot that I disputed their amounts.  
    • Just follow this link and have read of some threads so your familiar with the process https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/347310-legal-n180-directions-questionnaire-small-claims-track/#comment-5178739
    • Sorry,  I'm not familiar with terminology.  Direction questionnaire is what I've seen online as next step. Witness statement: I haven't gone that far, that's why I put the question marks.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Verdant and CitiCards

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6208 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck.

Abbey - Claim 1

full hearing 22 Feb 07 - Settled in full £710 :D

Abbey (Claim 2)

full hearing 22 Feb 07- Settled in full £4000 :D

Abbey (Claim 3)

Court date 27 June -

Capital One (claim 1)

£467 Settled in full 20 Sep :D

Capital One (claim 2)

£72 refunded 19 Aug :-D

Associates (Citicards)

claim 8 Aug/judgment by default 30 Aug/set aside hearing 9 Oct/Stay denied, ordered by Judge to reveal breakdown of charges andfull hearing 24 May/FULL DISCLOSURE ORDERED BY 8 MARCH/JUDGE TO STRIKE OUT DEFENCE AS NON-COMPLIANCE/DEFENCE STRUCK OUT PAYMENT IN FULL REQUIRED IN 14 DAYS

I have sent my letter re- S A R today to CITI .Others have mentioned they play hard ball.Lets keep up with our progress Verdant.

Any tips lickthewallfatboy?

yes-be persistent

do not let them browbeat you

take what they tell you with a ton of salt

don't let them theaten you either in writing or on the phone-if they harass you,report them to the OFT through your local trading standards office.

Throw default notices in the bin-they can't do this while your account is in dispute.

if I think of any more,I'll let you know!! :D

Don't ever give up on these clowns, they cannot win, but are under the illusion we are all stupid and misinformed, but they are the ones who are misinformed and stupid.

Keep going the more Citi claimants there are now the better we need to keep the pressure up on them and show them we will not give in

Good Luck

regards

adamski

Does anyone know what the relationship between Associates and CitiCards is? Will CitiCards have information about my card account from the period when the account was with Associates?

Associates officially became Citicards on 11 April 2003 (it is on my May 2003 statement). Citicards will have your Associates details on their files.

Abbey - Claim 1

full hearing 22 Feb 07 - Settled in full £710 :D

Abbey (Claim 2)

full hearing 22 Feb 07- Settled in full £4000 :D

Abbey (Claim 3)

Court date 27 June -

Capital One (claim 1)

£467 Settled in full 20 Sep :D

Capital One (claim 2)

£72 refunded 19 Aug :-D

Associates (Citicards)

claim 8 Aug/judgment by default 30 Aug/set aside hearing 9 Oct/Stay denied, ordered by Judge to reveal breakdown of charges andfull hearing 24 May/FULL DISCLOSURE ORDERED BY 8 MARCH/JUDGE TO STRIKE OUT DEFENCE AS NON-COMPLIANCE/DEFENCE STRUCK OUT PAYMENT IN FULL REQUIRED IN 14 DAYS

• 1 month later...

I received a big bundle of statements from Citi Cards at the start of November, but nothing else that I asked for in my Subject Access request: Manual intervention information, marketing information, and more.

I've prepared a letter giving insisting that they provide the remaining information immediately or face court action and also my preliminary approach for repayment. I calculate that I have paid over £600 in charges and interest on those charges in a 3 year period.

I'll be sending the letter "Signed For" tomorrow, so they should have it on Tuesday. If I hear nothing by the end of the week about my subject access request then I guess it's off to court to enforce the request. I feel I have been more than patient and did provide them with a telephone reminder that the 40 day period was coming to an end. I guess I'll need to read up on the process of enforcing Data Protection Act requests.

The data I requested were specific to me.

I asked for any instance of a manual intervention that happened during the course of my account, such as the decision to withdraw my facilty. I assume this decision was a manual intervention as if it had been an automatic decision then I should have been sent a notice under 12(2)(a) of the Data Protection Act that the decision was based on data processing by automatic means; the act specifically mentions creditworthiness in section 12 as being one of the areas covered. It appears to me that either there was a manual intervention in which case they have failed to satisfy the subject access request or there was no manual intervention in which case they have not satisfied their duty under 12(2)(a).

The marketing information was specific information in relation to marketing direct to me, such as offers of loans directed only at me and made by telepone and also any profile of me maintained by Citi. I am the identifiable data subject of these data and my understanding is that they would be covered by section 7 as I can see nothing to exclude them.

As far as I can tell, Citi have made no attempt to address the requests for this information.

• 3 weeks later...

Citi received my preliminary request for repayment and notice of intention to begin procedings regarding my subject access request on Monday. (Royal Mail seem to have been incapable of delivering a recorded delivery to Salford so I ended up sending a second letter registered).

I got the standard response to the preliminary request for repayment with an extra paragraph about my data protection request. They are still quoting Kissick v Citifinancial as a precedent and claiming that the court "implicitly [found] that the charges are fair and in conformity with the OFT guidance and common law principles of contractual damages." I wonder why they don't mention the more recent case in which the judge decided that £8 was closer to the figure or the fact that Kissick v Citi was in Northern Ireland.

I also received under seperate cover a seven page form for identification to be filled in and returned before they will provide me with the remainder of the information I requested. I will, of course, be asking them why they sent all my previous statements to my current address, an address at which I had no prior contact with Citi until sending my subject access request. Clearly Citi don't take their legal responsibilities seriously.

Does anyone have any advice about how to make a claim for failure to provide information under the data protection act?

I received one sheet with relation to `Manual Intervention` on my credit card account from Citi..... so you should also be entitled to a copies of yours.

Mine was pretty damning for Citi as it coverred a period when two payments arrived late... the manual intervention sheet shows no actions with relation to these.

So push for these as they could be an important part of your case.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

My current thinking is to go straight to court action for my data protection request. They have already sent me some information and so they must already be satisfied with my identity. They are being deliberately obstructive. They certainly haven't asked for my identity in a timely manner. It took nearly 70 days and 2 reminders to get them to acknowledge that there was more to my subject access request than previous statements.

Straight to court then. Do you have the name of the Citi Data Controller.

It was Richard Cooke when I applied, best to ask someone who has recently received their DPA request information.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having real difficulty sending mail to Citi. I've had two recorded delivery letters not delivered and (presumably) lost. Has anyone else had this problem? It's severely slowing me down.

Definitely seems strange, could possibly be the Xmas period… know that I had 4-5 parcels go missing over the festive period.

Might be an idea to include a return address on the back of the envelope, that way if it’s unsigned and Citi are not accepting receipt it’ll come back within 7 days.

My first action in your case would be to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office, copies are the forms are available here with the address being on the last one:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/56482-having-problems-getting-your.html

I have heard that manual intervention information is harder for them to compile, however as it relates to you as a customer and your account they would be required to retain it for a period of 6 years at present, and it would be unusual for them to erase it in case Citi as a company needed it for reference purposes.

In my instance I only received one sheet for a period of just over 12 months. If you require sheets for the six year period you have specified they should be made available to you – otherwise the SAR isn’t being honoured.

I would also like to clarify to everyone that The Associates was always part of the Citi Group, and the change to Citi Cards was in affect a rebranding as the PO Box 54, and 1 Exchange Quay addresses in Manchester are present in the Associates literature.

I'm having real difficulty sending mail to Citi. I've had two recorded delivery letters not delivered and (presumably) lost. Has anyone else had this problem? It's severely slowing me down.

I had mine returned that I sent recorded - so I just sent it by normal post and got info back - weird.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Okay, now I'm really puzzled. I've received a response to my LBA from Citi even though Royal Mail say it's not yet been delivered. Not sure what happened there.

Citi's response was all standard stuff: may take up to six weeks to retrieve statements from archives, once I have the information I will contact you, thank you for your patience, etc.

I think we all know this is yet another attempt to stall the process of reclaiming the charges and one for which I am not going to fall.