Sign in to follow this  
Nystagmite

Can NHS help with the cost of private diagnosis?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2500 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

So, there are no services for diagnosing adults with Autism in my area. The closest we can get to that is screening, which I've had done and quite frankly, it was a waste of time. I was told nothing that I didn't already know.

First GP told me I don't need a diagnosis.:mad2: Second GP doesn't know what to do with me. Originally, he referred me to CMHT and I ended up with huge problems due to the way I was treated and the refusal to give me anything other than a confirmation that there's a high chance I'm on the spectrum somewhere.

When I saw him the second time, he said that he'll talk to the childrens service at the local develop centre.

I have received a letter from my GP basically telling me there's nothing he can do to help me. CMHT just discharged me, (which I found out 3 months after they discharged me) and have left me with no support at all. They said I can go to social services (whose budget is being cut) and there's a local group I can attend. But the local group isn't a substitute for services that NHS are meant to provide. They can't provide things like counselling, a diagnosis and the other support that I may need.

Will NHS pay for a private diagnosis? I can't afford it myself and there's no help from the psychiatrist for this. The closest centre on the NHS is Southampton. I'm in Plymouth. I'm not even sure if I can get referred there.

The Autism Act says that a diagnosis must be provided; but there are no services in Devon for Adults.

University won't help because it's medical and not an educational need. It's because of the lack of diagnosis and support that I've struggled with my education.

Hello there.

Is there a national charity that supports people with autism? They might have some advice for you.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Yes there is. I've spoken to them many times and they can't help either.

You had a word with these folks?

http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/homepage/education/schools/educationsupport/chids/cit/communicationgeneralreferrals.htm

Yes I know it's youth 4-18 but these youth have to go somewhere.

Other than that you can write (nicely) to your GPs practice manager/senior partner asking for advice assistance.

If that fails you can then try the local NHS PALS team to try for you.

PALS will so I'm told try and liase between all parties then escalate to a complaint if that fails. Other people don't rate them so....

I'm prepping myself for this action atm. If only I had Darth Vaders powers 'You have failed me for the last time!' sounds of falling to the floor and gasping for breath :wink:

• Haha 1

Thank you :) will take a look at your link when I have more time.

Sign in to follow this