Jump to content

moneyclaimonline to sue landlord for deposit, what do i do next?

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2957 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts


My landlord withheld my £1000 deposit at the end of my tenancy. It had also never been secured in a deposit scheme. I used moneyclaimonline to sue for the deposit amount plus claim fees plus 8%. I assumed that it is the court that awards the 3x rent as punishment. The landlord has since sent a cheque for the claimed amount but I DEFINITELY want it to go to court because they caused me alot of stress and inconvenience for the 3 months that I was without it.


Moneyclaim online are of no help at all via their email helpdesk. What are my options? Should I have claimed for 3x the amount on my form? Can I still make it proceed to court? Is it too late to do anything else? should I claim again for punitive damages? I have not yet cashed the cheque because I am unable to find out more information.


I would appreciate any help! Thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought you could only sue for 3 x deposit if it is not protected in a TDS and then only while you are a tennant. If you have taken action for the return of a deposit after you have left the tennancy and the landlord has complied before the court date I dont think the courts can do much else, TBH you have got your money back and that is what you wanted so i actually dont think trying to sue for stress etc is worth it now it willm only give you more hassle.

Edited by assisted blonde

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to agree with Assisted Blonde on this - if you've had your full deposit returned to you, it may be better to simply settle for that. The exception would be if you could prove that you had somehow suffered a financial loss as a result of him unreasonably withholding the deposit.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller


"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett


If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Link to post
Share on other sites

IIRC the Localism Act closed some LL loopholes ie

Action for deposit non-protection can be taken after end of T, poss up to 6 yr later

LL voluntary return of deposit may lessen the 1-3X penalty

Any claim for non-protection should be via County Court multi-track route, initial fee ~£1K and pot for unlimited defence costs in England, if rejected.

Judge decides what level of penalty to impose, not T.

Stress & inconvenience are not suitable grounds unless quantifiable financial loss can be shown.

IMO the Localism Act missed a trick, any non-protection penalty should be paid mainly to Exchequer, not T, as it has been shown in many cases that T suffered no sig financial loss through non-protection (compensation) but errant LLs should be 'fined'.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...