PhoenixLaw

Should I take a job with less money?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2500 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

I was looking for some advise or help with how to move forward.

If anyone has any experience with changing jobs with a reduction in salary then it would be great to know how you managed etc.

I'm currently earning 30k per annum in a job thats going down hill fairly quickly due to the company losing some major clients. I can get another job but the salary is probably around 18-19k per annum. I currently rent a house from the local housing association, have 1 child and a partner that works 2 days a week. Currently we receive no benefits other then the standard child benefit. If I was to accept the job at a lesser wage would this make much difference to what we are entitled too?

I would rather take a job at a lesser wage then be unemployed.

Thank you!

Depending on your partners income, you may get child tax credit. However, I think that might be the basic £10 a week.

Thanks. My partner earns £630 per month, our rent is £850 and ctax is £135 is that helps.

Try putting your expected income etc. into the calculator at http://www.entitledto.co.uk

I'm not saying that it's exact, but you should get a pretty good idea of what you'll get.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

I would wait until you lose the job completely and then consider a worse paid job for two reasons:

1) You might get additional compensation/benefits if the company goes downhill

2) Your new perspective employer might raise doubts on why you want to move away from your job.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

waiting could also have the adverse affect of no work at all!! it is not easy in todays job market to get a position, this is gonna be a judgement call on your behalf....put the figures into calculator as advised...