Buying a house that is under threat from repossession

mitford
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4128 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

We are in the process of buying a house which is now under threat of repossession, the current owners have done an extension which has not had its final building regs sign off due to some minor work which needs completing and our mortgage company have now put a full retention on our offer until the building regs certificate is issued.

The current owners had a repossession hearing on the 3rd of this month and have been told to come back again on the 3rd of next month for another hearing.

After the hearing this month they have managed to borrow the money to get the building regs signed off which will be done this week.

Due to Christmas being just round the corner and knowing how long our mortgage company will take to remove the retention from our mortgage offer ( upto 10 working days once they have received the certificate) this will take us past the 3rd of january when they have there next court hearing.

once the retention has been removed we are all ready to exchange contracts though this will probably be after there next court hearing but only by a few days i imagine.

So my question is how likely is it that the court will issue a repossession order as this is the second hearing?

what is the likelihood of them taking into account that we are ready to exchange contracts?

sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your help

Jamie

ok thanks for the quick reply, apparently they have allot of equity tied up in the house which will clear the debt and leave them with a nice lump sum, they are keen to sell it to us rather than going down the repossession route as they get more money by selling it

many thanks for the replies, i have one more question

if they get given a possession order when they go back to court on January 3rd is it still possible for us to buy the house from them before the eviction date?

reading this on the gov.uk site on possession orders

"Outright possession order

This gives the lender a legal right to own your home on the date given in the order and is sometimes called an ‘order for possession’. This is usually 28 days after your court hearing.

If you don’t leave your home by the date given in the order, your lender can ask the court to evict you"

reading that(worst case scenario) we would have 28 days to push the sale through no?

Good news we got the retention removed yesterday, though the solicitors are now closed for christmas typicall. Does anyone know if it is possible to exchange contracts before the 10% deposit has cleared? the reason i ask is they go back to court on the 3rd an solicitors open on the 2nd so it would be good if we could exchange before they go back to court

If the current owners take a letter from their conveyancing solicitor along to the hearing the judge will extend untill completion.

• Confused 1

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news :)

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.