edge_of_the_map

Matalan - how things should work

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2501 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I placed an online order with Matalan a few months ago, and a couple of days later received a card to tell me the delivery company had called. As I was not home (I work during the day), they had taken the goods away and would try again the following day.

I found the card when I came home for lunch, and phoned the courier to get them to drop off the goods with a neighbour - they refused. I tried to arrange delivery on a day when I was going to be home. They refused - they would only attempt delivery for three consecutive days, then send the goods back to Matalan. I tried to find out what time they would deliver - they would not tell me. I tried to arrange delivery at my workplace two miles away - they refused.

The courier was only interested in posting three cards through my door, as then Matalan would have to pay them.

I immediately phoned Matalan (too long on hold - I gave up), and emailed, but their response time to emails is so slow that I had the full set of three cards before they even acknowledged my communication.

I was completely frustrated - the items I wanted had been inches from my house, three times, and I couldn't have them.

I sent a detailed email to Matalan setting out the history and demanding a full refund. This took some time, but eventually I got my money back.

They also dismissed the courier and hired another one.

They also sent me a money off voucher.

Excellent customer service is not difficult, and it makes a great deal of sense. Matalan had lost me as a customer, but by their actions they rescued the situation. They also have some free publicity - I tell people about it.

Thanks again Matalan - you are the best example I have seen of effective customer service.