Jump to content


Flooding caused by council's insistance on dropped kerb.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2504 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Our road was recently adopted, but as part of the adoption process the council insisted on the dropped kerb next to our drive being replaced. There used to be a 40mm lip on the kerb, but the council wanted a kerb that is flush with the level of the road.


The problem with the new dropped kerb is that the camber of the road means that water is now directed down our drive and into the garage rather than to the drain in the road further along. The garage flooded earlier in the year, so I phoned the council and asked them to raise the kerb to prevent this from happening again. I first phoned in July and was told that someone would inspect the kerb and get in touch. I phoned the council every month and was assured that someone would get back in touch, but no one ever did.


Last week after particularly heavy rainfall, the garage flooded again, but it also came through the connecting door into the house. There has been substantial damage to the ground floor of the house. Neither the house or garage had ever flooded prior to the raising of the kerb.


My husband wrote to the CEO of the council explaining the situation. She replied telling us that the kerb had been inspected in September but was not considered a high priority and with the current economic climate they didn't have the money to do it.

Can we claim any compensation from the council?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi George101

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.



I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.


Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.



Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.


It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites



I would write to the council (always get proof of posting) and request the following:


1. Copy of Pre inspection report for your road (name road) that required dropped kerbs installed.

2. Copy of Risk Assessment carried out on (name road) with dropped kerds on Flooding.

3. Copy of the Local Authoritys Consultations with those Residents effected.

4. Details of the Contractor that carried out the work.

5. Copy of the Inspection Report after Contractor completed Works.

6. Details of the Local Authorities Insurance Company and Claims Procedure.

7. Copy of the Local Authorities Complaints Procedure.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Take photos of the damage too.


What's Best for You?



The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.


Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007



Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did take photos after the flooding, both inside the house and out. We are still living in the property so I wanted to clean up as quickly as possible. I wasn't sure how quickly the insurance company were going to respond, so I took photos of everything before I started to clean! (The insurance company have been great and sent a loss adjustor and contractor the following day.)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a similar problem with flooding in that the drains cannot cope with heavy or persistent rainfall. It took us about 7yrs and multiple complaints each time we noticed the drains starting to struggle to get anything done. We got flooded inside & out about 4 times.


Eventually united utilities came & did mitigation work as they had already decided to replace the drainage system would cost too much. This included a flood proof front door & flood boards across the patio doors.


Keep complaining, each time you notice a bit more water than normal on your property. It will take time but unless they see constant complaints about the same issue then you will get fobbed off. Persistence is key here.


Good luck!

"In this situation, you know what you have to do? Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming." Dory - Finding Nemo.:wink:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you. I think you are right. I will continue to complain to the council!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...