changing from british gas to co op

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4118 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi ive recently applied to change provider from british gas to co op after the steep increases in british gas charges currently im looking at saving around 40pounds per month i receive both gas and electric.

as i have 200pound outstanding however will this have any effect on the switch over?

also im concerned in regards to the final british gas bill as im due to receive the bill at the end of this month. Will i need to clear the full balance before im allowed to switch or could i set up a payment plan with british gas to clear the remainder? or will the transfer be cancelled.

regards,

timeforachange

no i think BG allow any figure now

used to be £500

but i know someone that switched with £1100 debt to BG with no issues

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

i just had this concern tha bg would refuse the switchover and in turn demand a full payment rather than accepting my monthly dd and before i know it im left wih no gas and electric. co op prices seem a hundred times better though. when i phoned british gas they tried to tell me i had to setle the full balance before i would be allowed to so i just applied sraight to co op

ahh ok then do you know what the process is after would they accept payment plans or is it the usual let it go to an agency then set up the plan with them?

They can refuse the transfer if you have a balance over 28 days that is over £250. I think it has changed, or is about to, as someone else pointed out, to £500. Unless you are making payments on the outstanding balance expect your credit score to get murdered.

im making monthly payments of 105 towards it.

so if they refuse the transfer would they just continue to provide my electricity and gas or just close down my account and then leave me with nothing?

thanks

They would just decline the transfer. You would still have a supply.

You will find out about the new utility switching rules in the October CAG Newsletter.. which you can find

HERE

It is the 12th article ..

You can also read more information on the following CAG thread.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?366355-New-rules-will-allow-switching-for-pre-payment-customers-with-arrears-of-up-to-%C2%A3500

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

They can refuse the transfer if you have a balance over 28 days that is over £250. I think it has changed, or is about to, as someone else pointed out, to £500. Unless you are making payments on the outstanding balance expect your credit score to get murdered.

no it has now changed

i've just switched - OD is over +£1k

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

prob PP

i actually moved within the BG establishment

the smarthomes team gave me an incredible deal

better than anything else by far.

the debt is owed to a totally sep BG company

i'd tried for 18mts to switch within or without

always blocked.

dx

dx

and they

ahh ok well i've opted to switch to co op by far the best deal with about 500 in debt to BG. ive got a paymen due to bg on the 21st december but the switch is due on the 9th january as bad as it is im tempted to cancel the dd for the final payment as the 500 includes that payment and just lump it in with a payment arrangement

hi i just go the following worded the same for both electricity and gas advising (my balance in total is 200pounds)

We can't transfer your electricity/gas until you pay your outstanding balance

Hello

All of our customers are important to us and we're sorry you're thinking of leaving us. Before you decide to switch suppliers you might find one of our other tariffs suits you better.

We can't start your transfer yet as there's an outstanding balance on your account. You need to pay this within the next five working days from the date of this email – click on the button below or call us on 0800 107 0224*. Please have your up to date meter reading ready and your Customer Reference Number to hand when you contact us.

If your payment is received within the next five working days, we can still transfer you. If you don't pay in time, you'll need to contact your new supplier and ask them to send a transfer request again.

If you're not sure how to read your meter, you'll find help

thanks

neither was mine

why not phone ofgem and ask?

dx

and they

you could be right

dx

and they

i'll call them tomorrow and find out more and update. Just seems a pointless exercise but the email states resubmit the request to the new provider if not paid in 5 days. either way if they refused the transfer i need to get the direct debit in place again.

I did contact british gas today and the saff member said my account is closed and i will receive my final bill in 30 days then this mail at 9pm after the offices are closed.

vry unusual may be a badly worded attempt at keeping m as a customer but at the same time why say ive got 5 days else the request will be refused.

it may be a bad attempt at keeping me as a customer in which case i need to get it sent to ofgem so they are aware of the poor practice.