• Tweets

• Yes, Hotpoint UK has been a subsidiary of Whirlpool for over 20 years. And unlike some domestic goods manufacturers you can buy from them direct and I believe they employ their own service engineers, Is that your situation? You bought direct from Hotpoint and Hotpoint sent out their own engineer?
    • It's Hotpoint (but I believe they're part of the Whirlpool group now?). The part was bought direct from them as a consumer.
    • Thanks BankFodder for your latest, I'm in complete agreement on the subject of mediation and will be choosing to decline mediation, the longer timeline is not an issue for me, I will happily let the going to court run it's course. I really appreciate the support from the Consumer Action Group. I'll post the email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response. Regards, J    email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response:  
    • Sec127 (3) repealed, now gone. S. 127(3)-(5) repealed (6.4.2007) by Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c. 14), ss. {15}, 70, 71(2), {Sch. 4} (with Sch. 3 para. 11); S.I. 2007/123, art. 3(2), Sch. 2
    • We used to recommend that people accept mediation but our advice has changed. The mediation process is unclear. Before you can embark on it you have to agree that you are prepared to enter a compromise – and that means that you agree that you are prepared to give up some of your rights even though you are completely in the right and you are entitled to hundred percent of your money and even though EVRi are simply trying to obstruct you in order to discourage you and also to put others who might want to follow your example off from claiming and even though they have a legitimate basis for reimbursement. Mediation is not transparent. In addition to having to sign up that you are prepared to give up some of your rights, you will also have to agree not to reveal any details of the mediation – including the result of the mediation – so that the whole thing is kept secret. This is not open justice. Mediation has nothing to do with justice. The only way of getting justice is to make sure that this matter goes to trial unless EVRi or the other parcel delivery companies put their hands up and accept the responsibility even if they do it is a gesture of goodwill. Going to trial and winning at trial produces a judgement which we can then add to our small collection to assist other people who are in a similar boat. EVRi had been leading you around by the nose since at least January – and probably last year as well – and their whole purpose is simply to drag it out, to place obstacles in your way, to deter other people, and to make you wish that you'd never started the process and that you are prepared to give up your 300 quid. You shouldn't stand for it. You should take control. EVRi would prefer that you went to mediation and if nothing else that is one excellent reason why you should decline mediation and go to court. If it's good for them it's bad for you. On mediation form, you should sign that you are not prepared to compromise and that you are not prepared to keep the result secret but that you want to share the results with other people in similar circumstances. This means that the mediation won't go ahead. It will take slightly longer and you will have to pay a court fee but you will get that back when you win and you will have much greater satisfaction. Also, once you go the whole process, you will learn even more about bringing a small claim in the County Court so that if this kind of thing happens again you will know what to do and you will go ahead without any hesitation. Finally, if you call EVRi's bluff and refuse mediation and go to trial, there is a chance – maybe not a big chance – but there is a chance that they will agree to pay out your claim before trial simply in order to avoid a judgement. Another judgement against them will simply hurt the position even more and they really don't want this. 300 quid plus your costs is peanuts to them. They don't care about it. They will set it off against tax so the taxpayer will make their contribution. It's all about maintaining their business model of not being liable for anything, and limiting or excluding liability contrary to section 57 and section 72 of the consumer rights act.     And incidentally, there is a myth that if you refuse mediation that somehow it will go against you and the judge will take a dim view and be critical of you. This is precisely a myth. It's not true. It would be highly improper if any judge decided the case against you on anything other than the facts and the law of the case. So don't worry about that. The downside of declining mediation is that your case will take slightly longer. The upside is that if you win you will get all your money and you will have a judgement in your favour which will help others. The chances of you winning in this case are better than 95% and of course you would then receive 100% of your claim plus costs
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HSBC/SIGMA SPV1/HLLC - N1CPC advice please

pattman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3888 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm hoping that somebody could advise me regarding a court claim form a friend received the other day.

The details are:

1. N1CPC claim form - Northampton County Court (County Court Bulk Centre)

2. Issue date - 26 November 2012

3. Claimant - Sigma SPV1 Limited

4. Address for sending documents and payments - HL Legal & Collections, Worcestershire B97 4DL.

5. Particulars of Claim - Monies due under an overdraft on current account number xxxxxx/xxxxxxxx between HSBC Bank PLC and the Defendant the benefit of which was assigned to the claimant on 21/12/2012. The overdraft terminated upon the Defendant(s) failure to comply with the terms of the overdraft agreement.

The Claimant seeks interest pursuant to section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of issue continuing at the daily rate of 1.72. Any payments or queries should be directed to the claimant on:01527 586594 (phone) or by email. (cannot post email links as new user)

a. Amount claimed - £7,8xx.xx

b. Court Fee - £190

c. Solicitor's costs - £100

d. Total amount - £8,1xx.xx

My friend went to his HSBC branch where he took out the overdraft, and said that the lady he spoke to explained that the overdraft/debt of £11,xxx.xx had been written off (he got nothing in writing though). He got a Duplicate Statement of Account from her, stating that the account was closed in May 2009. The account number on the statement matches the one in the Particular of Claims on N1CPC claim form.

My friend was under the impression that the debt had been written off, and is now unsure of the best way forward.

Any advice that I can give him would be really appreciated, thank you.

Thread moved to Legal Issues in view of receipt of the court papers.

Your friend has strict time limits to adhere to.

Issue date is 26/11. Add 5 for service = 1/12. Add 14 to acknowledge = 15/12 and then a further 14 to submit a defence (if the friend is going to defend) = 29/12.

HSBC may well say the account was written off in their books because it was sold on to another party.

Your friend should check their credit file to see who actually owns the debt.

The more legally minded will be along to help further as soon as they are available.

Thread moved to Legal Issues in view of receipt of the court papers.

Your friend has strict time limits to adhere to.

Issue date is 26/11. Add 5 for service = 1/12. Add 14 to acknowledge = 15/12 and then a further 14 to submit a defence (if the friend is going to defend) = 29/12.

HSBC may well say the account was written off in their books because it was sold on to another party.

Your friend should check their credit file to see who actually owns the debt.

The more legally minded will be along to help further as soon as they are available.

Many thanks ims21 for moving the thread to the correct subforum, and for your advice.

Originally posted by BlueBox

Send a CPR 31.14 request HL Legal to get a copy of the overdraft agreement and notice of assignment from HSBC. See stickes in this forum for info on 31.14 letters. Make sure you understand and amend letter to suit circumstances.

Thanks BlueBox, following your post I've just been to the stickies, copy and pasted the excellent letter by surfaceagenttx20 and will get that ammended, printed and sent out.

Edited by pattman

Hi Pattman and welcome to cAG

The CPR 31.14 in the stickys is incorrect for an Overdraft you really need to send this version if not too late:-

Originally Posted by andyorch

CPR 31.14 Request

Dear Sir,

Re: (Claimant's name) v (Your name) Case No:

CPR 31.14 Request

On (date) I received the Claim Form in this case issued by you out of the (Name) county court.

I confirm having returned my acknowledgement of service to the court in which I indicate my intention to contest and counter claim all of your claim.

Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of [each of the following / the] document(s) mentioned in your Particulars of Claim:

1 The agreement/ Overdraft Facility conformation and Terms and Conditions from that date. You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract should also be attached.

2 The Demand/Termination Notice (Notice served under Sections 76(1) and 98(1) of the CCA1974

3 Notices of Sums in Arrears under running account credit CCA2006 sec 86C

4.Notice of Assignment

You should ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the document(s) I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter. Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals of the documents I have requested, the better for you to be able to verify the document's authenticity and to provide me with a legible copy. Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.

Where I have mentioned a document and there is in your possession more than one version of that same document owing to a modification, obliteration or other marking or feature, each version will be a separate document and you must provide a copy of each version of it to me. Your obligations extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for any version(s) to include an obligation to recover and preserve such version(s) which are now in the possession of a third party.

In accordance with CPR 31.15© I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 request.

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing. You must tell me before the time for compliance with this request has expired. In telling me you require more time you must tell me what steps you have taken and propose to take in order to comply with this request and also state a date by when you will comply with this request. In addition your statement must be accompanied with a statement that you agree to an extension of the time for me to file my defence. Your extension of time must be not less than 14 days from the date when you say you will have complied with my request and you must state the new date for filing my defence.CPR 15.5

If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I do hope this will not be necessary and look forward to hearing from you.

yours faithfully

Send the above recorded delivery to their Sols and retain proof of postage.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks very much Andy, that's a big help and much appreciated. I'm seeing my friend tomorrow and will keep the thread updated with what happens, as well as maybe asking for more advice as the deadline gets closer.

Pattman

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again Andy for the template letter - I ammended the letter to suit and sent it on Tuesday 11 December by Royal Mail Sp. Delivery, and was delivered the next day before 1pm. Seven days have now passed and my friend confirms that there has been no response from HL Legal & Collections and am now unsure what to do next. My friend extended the time by 14 days, but with the Christmas holidays coming is unsure of the deadline. Any advice from forum members on the best way forward now that HL Legal & Collections haven't responded would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Pattman

Hi Pattman and welcome to cAG

The CPR 31.14 in the stickys is incorrect for an Overdraft you really need to send this version if not too late:-

Originally Posted by andyorch

CPR 31.14 Request

Dear Sir,

Re: (Claimant's name) v (Your name) Case No:

CPR 31.14 Request

On (date) I received the Claim Form in this case issued by you out of the (Name) county court.

I confirm having returned my acknowledgement of service to the court in which I indicate my intention to contest and counter claim all of your claim.

Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of [each of the following / the] document(s) mentioned in your Particulars of Claim:

1 The agreement/ Overdraft Facility conformation and Terms and Conditions from that date. You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract should also be attached.

2 The Demand/Termination Notice (Notice served under Sections 76(1) and 98(1) of the CCA1974

3 Notices of Sums in Arrears under running account credit CCA2006 sec 86C

4.Notice of Assignment

You should ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the document(s) I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter. Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals of the documents I have requested, the better for you to be able to verify the document's authenticity and to provide me with a legible copy. Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.

Where I have mentioned a document and there is in your possession more than one version of that same document owing to a modification, obliteration or other marking or feature, each version will be a separate document and you must provide a copy of each version of it to me. Your obligations extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for any version(s) to include an obligation to recover and preserve such version(s) which are now in the possession of a third party.

In accordance with CPR 31.15© I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 request.

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing. You must tell me before the time for compliance with this request has expired. In telling me you require more time you must tell me what steps you have taken and propose to take in order to comply with this request and also state a date by when you will comply with this request. In addition your statement must be accompanied with a statement that you agree to an extension of the time for me to file my defence. Your extension of time must be not less than 14 days from the date when you say you will have complied with my request and you must state the new date for filing my defence.CPR 15.5

If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I do hope this will not be necessary and look forward to hearing from you.

yours faithfully

Send the above recorded delivery to their Sols and retain proof of postage.

Regards

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update the thread and hope that somebody can advise on the best way forward now - my friend received a letter from HL & Legal today (28.12.12), dated 24 December, acknowledging receipt of the letter and asking/agreeing for an extra 14 days to produce the requested documentation. The deadline for the defence is tomorrow, and am unsure what to advise now, either:

1. Enter defense online and highlight the fact that HL&L didn't respond with the required 7 days.

2. Enter defense online and explain that HL&L have responded and are asking for 14 day extension (must they also contact the court to update them on claim?)

3. Wait to hear from HL & L, but therefore miss the defence deadline (I don't know the implications of missing the deadline).

Thanks for any advice, Pattman.

pattman

what exactly was agreed re this 14 day extension? need to know this. and did you send confirmation of any extension to the court? should do so.

usually, to avoid any ambiguity, an exact specified date is required to be agreed regarding an extension to the deadline for filing a defence as per civil procedure rule 15.5. whether the court accepts what you have been sent, i don't know.

otherwise, would need to submit a defence online in time to avoid poss them applying for judgment against in absence of a defence.

Edited by Ford

Thankyou Ford - my friend only received the letter today (returned home at 4pm to find letter) and I haven't seen it yet, but when reading the content of the letter to me, there was no mention of a definite extension date, just 14 days. My worry is due to the holidays, and tomorrow being Saturday that there is nobody at the Northampton CC to contact anyway. I called the court earlier today, before I knew that my friend had recieved the letter from HL&L, but it was all automated and having followed the choices, was just told to read what's on the website and then was cut off..but on the website there is no mention of delays through bank holidays etc.

I'm meeting my friend tomorrow morning to discuss what to do, and am grateful of any more help on what todo tomorrow re. the deadline. Thanks pattman.

pattman

what exactly was agreed re this 14 day extension? need to know this. and did you send confirmation of any extension to the court? should do so.

usually, to avoid any ambiguity, an exact specified date is required to be agreed regarding an extension to the deadline for filing a defence as per civil procedure rule 15.5. whether the court accepts what you have been sent, i don't know.

otherwise, would need to submit a defence online in time to avoid poss them applying for judgment in absence.

I've just met my friend - this is the content of the letter:

Dear Sir

Sigma SPV1 Limited - v - Yourself

Claim No: xxxxxxxx

We refer to the above matter and acknowledge receipt of your CPR 31.14 Request dated 11 December 2012.

We are currently in the process of obtaining copies of the documents you have requested from our Client and hope to be in a position to provide these to you shortly. On this basis we are agreeable to an extension of time for the filing of your Defence to 14 days after receipt of these documents.

Yours faithfully

HL Solicitors

Any help as to whether he should submit his defence today (deadline is 29.12.2012), and if so, with the information given, how it should be worded would be great.

their extension agreement is abit vague.

the 15.5 rule i mentioned allows for an agreed extension up to 28 days from the original defence deadline, and usually a specific date would be required, and then for the defendant to advise the court accordingly. i don't know if/how the court would accept what they have sent? what if you receive the docs in 20 days time for eg?

have flagged your thread for some more input if poss (is a weekend, so might not be anyone around)

otherwise, have a read around threads re types of defences used in similar circumstances where no requested documents have been received in time and edit to suit your circumstances. as post #6 etc

Edited by Ford

Thanks - I'm reading HSBC/Sigma threads atm (also re. defence), but as today is the deadline am really at a loss what to advise my friend to do.

Will the fact that they have agreed to an extension of 14 days from friends receipt of requested documents buy time re. defence, or is that just tactics..sending out a letter to arrive one day before defence deadline in the hope that one isn't submitted and strengthening their claim?

I appreciate you replies/help thanks, and the fact that it's a weekend and many people are not online.

pattman

Thanks - I'm reading HSBC/Sigma threads atm (also re. defence), but as today is the deadline am really at a loss what to advise my friend to do.

Will the fact that they have agreed to an extension of 14 days from friends receipt of requested documents buy time re. defence, or is that just tactics..sending out a letter to arrive one day before defence deadline in the hope that one isn't submitted and strengthening their claim?

I appreciate you replies/help thanks, and the fact that it's a weekend and many people are not online.

pattman

Your friend ought to send a copy of the Claimant's letter of agreement to extend filing of Defence to the Court on Monday (30/12/12) - email or fax the same and refer the Court Manager to CPR Pt 15 r.15.5(2) in this respect.

Further, advise your friend to email the Claimant's Sols on Monday and request a date from them for service of requested docs.

Kind regards

The Mould

I think I agree with the Mould - you should email the letter from HL Legal to the court - unfortunately you are not going to be able to telephone them until Monday. But you must do this to confirm that they have acknowledged the extension.

Head your email attachment with your Claim number.

Include in the body of the email, something like..

In accordance with CPR15.5 - the Claimant has written agreeing to an extension of time in order that they might provide the documents that I requested under CPR31.14.

This confirmation of extension was only received by me on 29th December.

You should also copy this to HL Legal.

Meanwhile, I will try and attract the attention of others on the site team.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you The Mould.

That's good advice and will get that emailed or faxed to the Court Manager on Monday. Just a side note, I have all the login details (MCOL no., Gov. Gateway ID no., postcode, email, claim no. & password on claim form and can't login..keet getting the same message:

We are unable to find this user. Please contact the help desk.

I saved all login details when registering (incl. Gateway User ID as pdf) so that's frustrating - is there a separate email address/fax no. that I can send the letter to?

My friend intends to defend the claim on the grounds that the account in question (including overdraft) was closed in May 2009, and was told the any outstanding amount had been written off. He was also told the same when at the bank some weeks ago to query account and get printed statement of history/timeline of account - that any debt had been written off (although has nothing in writing from HBSC confirming that).

“My friend went to his HSBCbranch where he took out the overdraft, and said that the lady he spoke toexplained that the overdraft/debt of £11,xxx.xx had been written off (he gotnothing in writing though). He got a Duplicate Statement of Account from her,stating that the account was closed in May 2009. The account number on thestatement matches the one in the Particular of Claims on N1CPC claim form”.

Theabove-mentioned “Duplicate Statement ofAccount” is documentary evidence (an Exhibit) for your friend to rely uponin his Defence. Did the Bank give anyreason for writing off the overdraft/debt of £11k+?

Wasthere any correspondence from the Bank prior to the write-off and closing ofaccount?

“My friend intends to defend theclaim on the grounds that the account in question (including overdraft ) was closed in May2009, and was told the any outstanding amount had been written off. He was alsotold the same when at the bank some weeks ago to query account and get printedstatement of history/timeline of account - that any debt had been written off(although has nothing in writing from HBSC confirming that)”.

It wouldbe a good idea for your friend to obtain a copy of his credit files from all 3credit reference agencies – Call Credit, Experian & Equifax – any record ofthe Bank overdraft will be recorded therein and may provide further evidence tosupport his Defence.

Kindregards

TheMould

Pattman

Can you provide any further details on this matter on behalf of your friend? Such as; did he receive any correspondence from the Bank between May 2009 to 26 November 2012 - date of issuance of the proceedings?

As has been mentioned in an earlier post here, the phase "written-off" used by the Banks does not necessarily mean "discharged of indebtness" and so your friend needs to go through all paperwork received on this from the Bank because it is highly unlikely that the Bank would have left the matter unattended to for a period of over 3 and a half years (no offence intended against you or your friend).

Defending overdraft debts is incredibily difficult, so make sure that your friend knows this as without a valid Defence, he will only increase his liability.

Kind regards

The Mould

Just to update the thread and hope that somebody can advise on the best way forward now - my friend received a letter from HL & Legal today (28.12.12), dated 24 December, acknowledging receipt of the letter and asking/agreeing for an extra 14 days to produce the requested documentation. The deadline for the defence is tomorrow, and am unsure what to advise now, either:

1. Enter defense online and highlight the fact that HL&L didn't respond with the required 7 days.

2. Enter defense online and explain that HL&L have responded and are asking for 14 day extension (must they also contact the court to update them on claim?)

3. Wait to hear from HL & L, but therefore miss the defence deadline (I don't know the implications of missing the deadline).

Thanks for any advice, Pattman.

Hi Pattman,

Im in a similar situation, just wanted to check what you/friend did...did you file a defence or what happened.

thanks

erahman

• 7 months later...

I wanted to update the thread as I have been away for several months, and my friend decided to wait on the letter he received. He recieved a 2nd letter from HL Legal on 7/2/2013:

Dear Sir

Sigma SPV1 Limited - v - Yourself

Claim No: xxxxxxxx

We refer to the above matter.

Please find enclosed copies of the following:

1. Letter from HSBC to you dated 10 January 2012

2. Letter from Sigma Red Limited to you dated 10 January 2012

3. Letter from Sigma Red Limited to you dated 23 January 2012

Please note that as the overdraft relates to a Current Account, an Agreement would not be applicable.

We are currently awaiting further documentation from our Client and shall forward this to you in due course.

Yours faithfully

HL Solicitors

My friend is adamant that there wasn't a letter from HSBC enclosed in the envelope as stated in the letter, and there has been no contact from HL Legal since that letter.

My friend checked his credit report with CallCredit (Noddle), and it shows a default of over £11,3xx, and the default date xx/05/2009 - the lender is shown as Sigma Red.

As HL Legal haven't produced the requested documents, is it possible to write to the court to close the claim and have the default removed from the credit file? Thanks

Hi Pattman

As this is an overdraft there will be little to disclose by way of documentation...therefore the claim is stayed. You can either leave the claim stayed or make application to the court to force them to proceed.

Either way the default will not be removed from the CRAs until it expires on its 6th Anniversary...that will remain because of the default and debt out standing and must remain in line with the ICO guidelines.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks Andy - sorry to be so dense, but as the case is stayed as you say, can the claimant re-start the claim if they found a document that has been requested?

I understand (and agree) that as he defaulted on the original credit agreement, that the default should stay on CRA's records for the normal 6 years. Is there a way to get the claim struck off by the court now that claimant haven't produced documents on time as requested? Thanks Pattman