Off Sick - Employer Wants A Meeting With Me

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4129 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello There Everyone,

I have been off sick from work for 11 weeks due to anxiety and depression and have been asked to come in for a 'capability meeting' on Tuesday.

I have only been told today about this meeting when I called in to advise that I had got another sick line from doctor. This seems very short notice especially for getting a letter from doctor to advise I am unfit to attend.

I was met with employer and was disciplined 2 weeks ago for an issue which arose before I went off sick and I think my employer may have assumed that as this issue now resolved I would be ready for work this coming Monday - if not why not tell me then about this additional meeting at time of disciplinary?

I am really uptight about this and think it's unfair that my employer's actions are exacerbating the symptoms which I am off sick for.

Do I have to attend this meeting? Can I refuse or ask to meet a neutral venue?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

I think assisted blonde's idea is a good one, maybe suggest something like that to your employer.

Can you give any more details about what the disciplinary matter was and if your illness has been brought on or exacerbated by events in the workplace? Are you anxious about going back to work because of something which has happened in the past or some underlying issue at work which hasn't been resolved?

Hiya Alto,

I was disciplined for an error which meant a customer had to be refunded, caused by lack of concentration, I admitted culpability.

Personal matters had brought about my problems and awaiting disciplinary action was the straw that broke the camel's back really.

Although disciplinary issue now resolved I'm still uptight about going for a meeting as it means going onto workfloor and setting tongues wagging, being questioned and just the pressure of being in a meeting situation with my manager and someone I don't know from HR dept. I will be anxious about this now until meeting which is con

Thanks for your reply.

I honestly think it might be best to take the plunge and return to work if at all possible. The disciplinary matter is fairly minor, and isn't really something people will talk about for a long time, especially once you're back at work.

I think the suggestion of having the meeting at home is very relevant here, or perhaps somewhere off-site close to your office.

You can explain at the meeting that the disciplinary situation added to your stress (although it sounds as if the comany has acted properly, but naturally going through a disciplinary is a stressful time for most people). But I think that now the disciplinary is over, it would be good to return to work and it might actually help you to be back working and have your mind taken off other worries. Hopefully the HR person dealing with the meeting will have good people skills, if so you can tell them that your confidence is low because of what has happened and tell them about any concerns you may have about returning. They should be able to give some reassurances and potentially offer some adjustments or perhaps a phased return to work. As you're still signed off sick, they will have to be careful not to put you under more stress by trying to pressurise you into returning to work, if they do this you can ask them to stop. I'd definitely recommend going to the meeting though, it could cause more long-run anxiety not going.

I absolutely agree that you should meet with them with a view to going back to work when you can. The longer you are off, the more difficult it will be to return.

It is normal practice to meet up when people are off sick for a few reasons: to find out how you are; to see what can be done to help; and to try and facilitate a return to work.

Attend with a positive mindset and see what happens.

How long have you been with this employer?

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

:-)

iv been with my employer 20 years untill i had a accident in march 2011 and i still off work but my boss never contacts me and im still on the sick

even tho my work does not pay my sick money i get esa but im still on the books

Ok, was checking to make sure you have full employment rights which you do. (over a year)

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

:-)