colly123

housing benefit

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2503 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, I am new to this so please bear with me!

I am claiming HB and rent from a family member on a commercial basis. This is all ok with the local council. My landlord/family member is self employed and employees my husband for a few hours a week and will be able to give me a few hours a week from mid December. All goes through payroll and all above board. I did see that you can't claim if your landlord is a company and you work for them but if you can prove all above board then it's ok. Is being self employed different from being a company?? I don't want to do anything wrong. My husband pays tax and NI on his earnings. When I completed form HB1 it didn't mention this.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

I don't know the answer to this, off hand. I'll try and check the regs later when I have time and come back to you on it.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

colly123

not sure what help you want....

you have asked whether being self employed is different from being a company, there are various differences between the 2

if you are employed by your landlord (either a person or a company), there will be situations where you could be eligible for HB, and others were you might not be

a lot will depend upon the specific facts and background

my advice would just explain situation to LA, if they determine you are eligible, all good

if they decide you are not eligible, then appeal

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.