Merker

Incorrect national insurance number?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2503 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hey guys... didnt know what section to put this in but there has been a massive mistake by someone.

I started my old job over 7 years ago. When joining the company they required national insurance card to make a copy of as well as some other documents.

I put my national insurance card away in a safe place as it is not something I use every day of course.

I left my job back in August, had P45.

After an accident at home I phoned up the ESA people to claim that benefit. They asked for my national insurance....

I gave them the NI number that shows on my wage slip and also my p45.... however... they said the national insurance number doesnt match my name.

After I was certain the NI number was correct they continued to fill in the application and said a copy of my correct number will be sent on my confirmation of the application form.

Just after the phonecall ended I dug out my NI card.... and guess what? The number on the card is completely different to the number on my P45 and all of my wage slips.

What can I do?

The company I worked for had clearly made a mistake when copying down and putting my NI number from my NI card onto the forms... Effectively for the last 7 years of working there my NI number has been wrong and nobody has told me... even my P45 shows my name but the wrong NI number....

Thanks

You must contact the ex employer, send copies of p45 NI card, demand an explantion, and contact HMRC re contributions etc phone is ok but follow up everything in writting.-

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

You must contact the ex employer, send copies of p45 NI card, demand an explantion, and contact HMRC re contributions etc phone is ok but follow up everything in writting.-

Thanks for that.

I phoned the store I worked in, manager checked on system and read out my NI number, which was the correct number.

She gave my head office's number to be put through to the wages department.

As the store had it correct it clearly shows head office are at fault. Will call them, see what they say and then issue copys of it all in the post?

ok good, keep us poste.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

No probs...

Well in the end after phoning head office's payroll department they said that HMRC are aware of the mistake. What had happened was for 3 years I had the wrong NI number on paper as my store manager had put it in wrong, since then it had been corrected (they could of let me know). However for some reason their system was still printing out the wrong NI number.

They are printing some form to put in with my p45 which shows the mistake and how HMRC knows this.